Author Topic: Russian Imperial Crowns  (Read 12937 times)

Offline richard_1990

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Russian Imperial Crowns
« on: April 25, 2010, 01:06:21 AM »

Other than this Crown what other ones are there in Kremlin collection? I would imagine that there was more than one crown of the hundreds of years of Russian monarchy. Also, when it comes to the pre-revolutionary art/jewelery collection of the Russian Empire, what proportion did the Bolsheviks actually sell? Was it just a small fraction of the total or was it a significant amount? I mean, when you take into consideration that that the Hermitage collection has something like over 10 million items, the National Library of Russia has something like 35 million items... it's hard to believe that a significant amount of the Imperial collections were sold.

Constantinople

Re: Russian Imperial Crowns
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 02:47:15 AM »
there were a number of crowns and they are in the Kremlin I think
the include: The Crown monomakh
The Kazhan crown
the second monomakh crown
the altabas crown
two diamond crowns

Offline Alexander1917

• Graf
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 02:31:18 PM »
from the imperial insignia only the imperial nuptical crown was sold.

the ancient crowns are located at the state armoury, the "diamond" crowns/items are at the diamond fund at the kremlin.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:33:03 PM by Alexander1917 »

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 03:08:37 PM »
Correct!  An important selection of the various period thrones are on display literally across the aisle (unless they have been recently moved) from the "older/ancient" crowns in the Armoury, as well.  I fear that they do not attract as much attention as the crowns, however.  Separately, the vault-like section housing the Diamond Fund/Imperial regalia, has splendid other items as well, such as "Caesar's Ruby (actually rubelite/tourmaline) which shows wonderfully well in its little spotlight, lending a touch of color to the masses of diamonds near it.  As you leave that particular near-darkened room to view items on display in the larger room of the DF, one is often left with two impressions:  the color contrast of the "Caesar's Ruby," and the DEPTH in profile of the Orlov Diamond in the Imperial Scepter!   AP
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 03:20:27 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 08:30:17 PM »
An addendum to my Reply # 3: In reading over my Reply # 3, I note that I neglected to also mention that the "great red stone" atop the Russian Imperial Crown, is likewise a red spinel. The modern technical aspects/definitions of spinel (red-colored ones earlier often called "balas-rubies") versus ruby can be found easily in a Google search.   AP
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 08:42:03 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline richard_1990

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 05:33:01 AM »
Thanks for the responses.

Constantinople I never realised there were so many crowns in the collection that were of the same style as Monomakh's Cap. Very interesting.

from the imperial insignia only the imperial nuptical crown was sold.
Was the Nuptual crown made during Nicholas IIs reign?

Correct!  An important selection of the various period thrones are on display literally across the aisle (unless they have been recently moved) from the "older/ancient" crowns in the Armoury, as well.  I fear that they do not attract as much attention as the crowns, however.  Separately, the vault-like section housing the Diamond Fund/Imperial regalia, has splendid other items as well, such as "Caesar's Ruby (actually rubelite/tourmaline) which shows wonderfully well in its little spotlight, lending a touch of color to the masses of diamonds near it.  As you leave that particular near-darkened room to view items on display in the larger room of the DF, one is often left with two impressions:  the color contrast of the "Caesar's Ruby," and the DEPTH in profile of the Orlov Diamond in the Imperial Scepter!   AP
Thanks. I can't wait to see it.

Constantinople

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 06:11:50 AM »
I have a feeling that they were based on Mongol styles combined with European styles

Offline PAVLOV

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 05:35:00 AM »
The Nuptial crown is in Washington at Hillwood. It was bought by Marjorie Mmerryweather Post in the early 1930's.
But then I suppose everyone knows that.
Its not a breathtaking piece like the others.

Offline richard_1990

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 05:50:28 AM »
The Nuptial crown is in Washington at Hillwood. It was bought by Marjorie Mmerryweather Post in the early 1930's.
But then I suppose everyone knows that.
Its not a breathtaking piece like the others.
Was the nuptial crown the piece the Tsar would crown the Empress with? If so, how old is the nuptial crown - what was used before it?

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 07:32:20 AM »
The answer is ,"No." I have personally seen the "Empress' Crown" on visits to the Diamond Fund at the Moscow Kremlin.  Well-made, compact and glittering, it is displayed in the same wall-inletted "case", to the left  (facing) of the greater Imperial Crown  Secondly, though I do not have my reference material handy (and stand to be corrected), I believe that the "Nupital (Bridal) Crown" was allegedly made from a diamond "belt" belonging to either the Emperor Paul I or his mother, the Empress Catherine II.   AP
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:51:45 AM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline PAVLOV

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 07:27:59 AM »
Yes you are correct. The crown looks as if it has been made of very heavy belt like velvet material, with the diamonds sewn onto the surface.

I have always thought this very strange, using and old belt with diamonds stuck onto it as a crown, considering they were never short of money !

It actually looks like a stage prop, something one would use in a Russian Ballet to crown a fairy tale princess. 

Offline GalleryGuy

• View Profile
    • George Stuart's Gallery of Historical(R)
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 12:50:47 PM »
The Museum of Ventura County is currently exhibiting the Historical Figure of Empress Catherine II in Robes and Crown by George Stuart.  http://www.galleryhistoricalfigures.com/
The exacting replica in quarter-scale is constructed in white gold, platinum, diamonds, pearls and rubies.

Exhibit Images at http://www.galleryhistoricalfigures.com/russiafigures.php in Ventura California runs to May 15, 2011.
Supporter of the Gallery of Historical Figures and the work of
George Stuart - Historian, Artist & Entertainer.