Author Topic: Anastasia's Secret  (Read 4018 times)

Offline Padawan Ryan

• View Profile
    • Padawan of the V'tosh Ka'tur
Anastasia's Secret
« on: May 10, 2010, 02:08:25 PM »
It's a fictional novel that came out this year, author Susanne Dunlap. I haven't read it, but I just bought it online. Has anyone read it? I'm not sure if it's going to be worth my money, though I'm hoping so. It's about romance between Anastasia Nikolaevna and a guard while the family is in captivity. Unlikely situation, of course, but it would be nice to think that she had some romance in her life. It's sad that she didn't live long enough to experience any romance (from what we know, anyway). Anyway, yeah, if you've read it, then post your opinions please. I know I shall as soon as it arrives in a couple weeks, and I've finished reading!
Padawan of the V'tosh Ka'tur. Social Work graduate, History student.

Constantinople

Re: Anastasia's Secret
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 05:29:56 AM »
There is some possibility to this and there were certainly enough guards around.  The power balance had shifted and the ex imperial family wwere no longer respected although some of therir charisma remained.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 05:34:49 AM »
However, I don't think in the circumstances any romance would have got beyond whispered conversations, sighing and handholding.

Ann

Constantinople

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 06:40:15 AM »
Possibly but I have heard more than one allusion to something more serious.  I dont take the Fate of the Romanovs too seriously but there are a few cited sources for that in there. There is a psychological state called Stockholm Syndrome where hostages start to reallign their parameters of judgement.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 02:47:32 PM »
A gentle reminder: please let's not make this into another thread about the imperial family's interactions with their guards, especially before anyone's even read Anastasia's Secret. If you're interested in the actual history of the Romanovs' captivity, there's plenty of discussions to add to in the Final Chapter board.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 03:22:15 AM »
I'm thinking of practicality more than anything else - I simply don't think there would have been much opportunity for a Grand Duchess and a guard to go off by themselves. Certainly not in Ekaterinburg - I have a feeling that there was more space in Tobolsk, but don't know anything definite.

Ann

Offline rosieposie

• Graf
  • Eva Duarte de Peron, May 7 1919 - July 26 1952
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 06:38:18 PM »
I haven't read the book, but I "love" the chick on the cover.  She looks more like Maria/Olga then Anastasia haha.
Beautiful faithful Nargony.
Thanks Emily!

Miranda:" Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place."
"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) Movie.

Offline Padawan Ryan

• View Profile
    • Padawan of the V'tosh Ka'tur
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 12:52:13 PM »
I noticed that too, actually. She didn't look much like Anastasia, but she was very beautiful.

I finished reading the book a while ago, though I forgot to post about it here. It was a wonderful book, it definitely caught my attention throughout the reading. It began in 1913/1914 (I can't remember which) and stretched out straight to 1918. Though I doubt the friendship-turned-relationship could have happened for Anastasia, especially without people knowing, it was beautiful to see it happen. All the changes and everything that came about with the revolution certainly brought different emotions to mind, and I very much enjoyed the book. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys/can handle fictional reading based on history.
Padawan of the V'tosh Ka'tur. Social Work graduate, History student.

Offline rosieposie

• Graf
  • Eva Duarte de Peron, May 7 1919 - July 26 1952
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 04:27:16 AM »
Sound's interesting Bethany.  Reminds me of the article I read of some author writing a "sexual" book of Peter and Anne Franks relationship. 
Beautiful faithful Nargony.
Thanks Emily!

Miranda:" Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place."
"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) Movie.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 07:59:35 AM »
Sound's interesting Bethany.  Reminds me of the article I read of some author writing a "sexual" book of Peter and Anne Franks relationship. 

That's probably The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank, by Ellen Feldman. It's very good -- some of the best speculative fiction I've read. (It's been a while since I read it, but as far as it being "sexual" I don't recall anything racy or in poor taste.)
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King