Author Topic: Grand Duchess Xenia and Grand Duke Alexander Mikhailovich, PART II  (Read 132636 times)

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Duchess Xenia and Grand Duke Alexander Mikhailovich, PART II
« Reply #255 on: February 20, 2014, 12:01:52 PM »
Thanks.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 22, 2014, 09:38:52 AM »
I who was the son of Xenia's that was the closest to the Imperial Family other than Irina (being a girl closest in age with Olga).

Offline Maria Sisi

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 27, 2014, 03:44:25 PM »
Princes Rostislav, Dmitri, Nikita, Andrei and Vasili Alexandrovitch outside the Anichkov Palace 1913

Mikhailovich family plus Prince Felix Yusupov 1914 (Bradford National Media Museum)

Mikhailovich family plus Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna

I love how Xenia and Irina are holding hands

Offline Maria Sisi

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 30, 2014, 12:37:37 AM »
Nice picture with Olga and Ksenia's family.

I've seen photos from that sitting but never that one.

I love seeing photos of Xenia and Olga together post Alexander III. With the seven year age difference and different personalities they were probably destined not to be that close so its great seeing the two sisters together.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 04, 2014, 01:15:16 AM »
I read Olga called her sister Ksenia monster behind her back.

Offline Maria Sisi

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 04, 2014, 03:11:36 PM »

REALLY?!?!?

Do you know where you read that and Olga's reasons why?

Offline historyfan

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 04, 2014, 05:42:16 PM »

Where did you read that?

I read that both sisters were called monsters during the whole Anna Anderson...thing, for not wanting to recognize their "niece".

Offline Maria Sisi

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 04, 2014, 06:12:31 PM »
I read that both sisters were called monsters during the whole Anna Anderson...thing, for not wanting to recognize their "niece".

Yes I remember reading that too and its not surprising. Anna Anderson's allies got very nasty when it came to those who didn't believe she was Anastasia.

I'm not sure what Xenia could have done for Olga to call her a monster though. I would like to know what the source of that was, it should be interesting.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 05, 2014, 01:25:22 AM »
I think the fall out came when Olga felt she was cheated out of the sale of the jewels of their mother while Ksenia got more.

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #264 on: August 05, 2014, 06:58:54 AM »
I think the fall out came when Olga felt she was cheated out of the sale of the jewels of their mother while Ksenia got more.

I seriously doubt that. Olga was not materialistic at all, and in fact when she was asked about how both sisters were never given the appropriate sum by Queen Mary, she shrugged it off saying it was useless discussing it. She probably felt others were unjust, but I donīt believe she would call her sister "a monster" just because she received bigger ammount of money.

Unless you can provide your source and direct quote.

Offline historyfan

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 05, 2014, 08:04:26 AM »

I seriously doubt that. Olga was not materialistic at all, and in fact when she was asked about how both sisters were never given the appropriate sum by Queen Mary, she shrugged it off saying it was useless discussing it. She probably felt others were unjust, but I donīt believe she would call her sister "a monster" just because she received bigger ammount of money.

Unless you can provide your source and direct quote.

So do I. That doesn't fit at all with the type of person we understand Olga Alexandrovna to have been.

Offline Maria Sisi

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 05, 2014, 02:02:53 PM »
In "The Last Grand Duchess" concerning the transfer of the jewels from Denmark to England Olga says:
"I knew nothing at all until the next day when Xenia told me that the box was already out of Denmark. I approved of the general plan and I felt very grateful to Georgie for his concern on our behalf. What happened in Copenhagen was no fault of his. Xenia took it upon herself to arrange things. I was given to understand that the matter could not concern me very closely because I had a commoner for a husband." P. 183

Vorres himself adds:
Her sister Xenia alone knew of the arrangement. The matter of the jewel box had obviously made a gulf between the sisters. To make the situation even more humiliating for Olga, she stayed in Denmark but Xenia hurried back to England almost at once. P. 183

The Grand Duchess always avoided the subject. I could see that the Grand Duchess did not really care about the ultimate fate of her mother's treasure trove or even about the apportioning of the money. What had bitten hard into her was the way in which all the transactions were carried out. She, Olga, might not have existed for all the notice taken of her during those difficult weeks after her mother's death. P. 185

Perhaps the jewel incident did drive a wedge between the sisters and there was bitterness from Olga to Xenia in how it was handled. I guess how bitter she was over everything is up for interpretation, although I don't think she went as far as "monster".

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 08, 2014, 02:48:19 AM »
Most certainly the jewel incident was a watershed moment between the sisters. Their relationship was never the same.

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #268 on: August 08, 2014, 05:13:53 PM »
However is you claim Olga called her sister "a monster" I am still waiting for your source. Donīt  take this badly, but I would be very much interested, because most of the time you make comments which are quite intimate, but never provide source. I understand you cannot remember all the books and information you have read, but still.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 11, 2014, 10:49:38 PM »
Think I read it in a book before. It was confirmed by a researcher of the Romanovs. Found it interesting fact about the relationship between the sisters. Something I am doing research on myself.