Author Topic: King Constantine I & Queen Sophie (nee Prussia)  (Read 150164 times)

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
Re: King Constantine I & Queen Sophie (nee Prussia)
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2005, 11:42:57 AM »
Thank you, Marlene, for the quotation. No, I haven't seen the book you mentioned, though I have tried many times to obtain Theo Aronsen's Grandmother of Europe it's my number one aim to buy! I have read many of Vicky's letters to her (& hers to Vicky) which are very interesting.
She seems to have had such an unhappy time & yet in her letters she comes over as v. caring. Marie Louise liked her, too, didn't she?  

Addall has several copies of Grandmama of Europe, and inexpensive too
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

bluetoria

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2005, 11:47:05 AM »
Thanks! I'll follow it up!

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2005, 11:49:26 AM »
Thanks! I'll follow it up!

You are very welcome.  I find addall rather useful because it emcompassess the major book search places, ie ABEBooks

bluetoria

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2005, 05:14:10 PM »
Does anyone PLEASE have any more information about Sophie's afforestation programmes & her work with the nurses in Greece?  :-/

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2005, 05:36:27 PM »
Does anyone PLEASE have any more information about Sophie's afforestation programmes & her work with the nurses in Greece?  :-/

You will find a little bit on page  193 of Julia Gelardi's new book.  "As Queen of the Hellenes, Sophie continued to take a special interest in promoting one of her favorite causes, replacing the vulnerable forests around Athens and the Greek countryside, always under threat from summer fires and wild animals."  Gelardi quotes Lady Katherine Brandram said that her mother "adored trees, she did all the plantations around Athens."

Sophie also founded the Greek version of the SPCA, and soup kitchens were opened at her "initiative."  reforestation, soup kitchens, orphanages, hospitals, the training of Greek nurses, animal welfare were done because "she loved the people."

bluetoria

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2005, 05:39:14 PM »
Thank you, Marlene. What is SPCA please?

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2005, 05:43:14 PM »
Thank you, Marlene. What is SPCA please?

If I said RSCPA??  Or here in the US the ASPCA

Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2005, 08:34:25 PM »

I'll try and find some. I know that in the letters to her, Vicky goes on (and on and on  :) ) about involving herself in various charities--nursing, education, etc... She was a non-stop source of advice (wanted and unwanted). It doesn't seem that, in the beginning at least, Sophie wanted to involve herself much. She was learning about life in a new country with a new culture and acclimating herself to life as a wife, Crown Princess and mother. She also doesn't seem to have found much support from within Greece as there were a lot of cultural barriers to overcome. Vicky stresses how increased charitable involvement would not only keep her busy but bring her closer to the people and make her and Tino more visible. I'll try and dig up some more precise information.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2005, 09:14:43 PM »
Vicky had recommended that Sophie  take on charities since, apart from Queen Olga’s projects, there didn’t seem to be many at all. This got Vicky’s mind going about the seemingly limitless possibilities for bettering the country. She found Sophie receptive but young and anxious not to trespass in Queen Olga’s domain. Vicky set about compiling dossiers of various institutions she herself had founded or been involved with and forwarded them on for her and Olga. One of the first interests seems to have been a visit Sophie made to a seminary for women (which impressed Vicky) and then a letter from Vicky which said that she ‘sincerely’ rejoiced in hearing that Sophie was attempting to take on the issue of improving and reforming the prisons. Vicky wrote that the prison in Nauplia gave her ‘the creeps’ and added that she would (of course!) gather as much information as she could on the subject. Vicky herself belonged to a society which dedicated itself to finding employment for ex-convicts. She saw this as important as the punishment for crimes. Vicky also started inundating Sophie with advice on founding a Chorus, cooking and gardening schools for girls and vocational schools for boys. In the coming years Sophie would attempt (with much troubles) to establish soup kitchens and other welfare oriented activities such establishing patronage institutions along the lines of what existed in England and Germany. Vicky is there to encourage her and advise her (even as to the colors of the walls for her soup kitchens). She empathizes with Sophie’s struggles writing in 1897 that it must be ‘grievous and trying to think that all your work for the nation is so uphill, and that there is so much ignorance and folly and ingratitutde.’ Back in 1895 as Sophie was expecting her 3rd child the two correspond about Sophie’s interest in opening a maternity home. Vicky was ‘glad’ Sophie ‘should occupy herself with tings that are so useful to the poor and the suffering, especially in Greece, where so much still has to be done. I wish indeed you could found a maternity hospital and a child’s hospital, also a nursing school which could be combined with both.’ Acknowledging the difficulty in financing the building and maintenance of such institutions it was still hoped that it could be accomplished paying close attention not to external appearance but on drainage, ventilation, hygiene, electricity and other pragmatic improvements. Vicky offered to send Sophie information from the Great Ormond Street Child’s Hospital. Soon after this letter, Sophie inquires about the SPCA of which her uncle Bertie has been a long-time member and it was arranged that he would send her a suitable selection of papers and reports. This too met with Vicky’s whole-hearted approval as she find it qulite  wicked and unChristian to abuse animals. By 1896 Sophie was able to tell her mother that efforts to found a maternity hospital are progressing and is finding a receptive audience. Vicky encourages her to keep pressing as it took her 20 years before her own Victoria Haus was to the point where she desired it. She sends along advice on building and staffing and offers one of her own nurses as matron. As Greece was still rather primitive, her mother serves not only as a valuable source of advice but also helps her to acquire needed instruments and medicines including inoculations. Vicky, ever pragmatic and knowing of the financial impediments, sends money for her hospital’s as well. She sends her 1000 marks in 1897 following Greece’s war that she could spend on her Child’s Hospital or in getting artificial limbs for the war wounded. Sophie continued her hard work and despite being occsionally downcast and anxious never loses hope. It was hard even at the best of times—doors were made too high and narrow and other issues which shouldn’t have caused problems did. Sophie is encouraged to get ‘some young women of good family [to] go through courses this winter, such as Aunt Alice and I went through, it would draw their attention and interest, especially if you were to give the example, and have the lectures once a week in your own house.’

This is what I was able to gather from her letters but they of course end in 1901.

bluetoria

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2005, 07:12:52 AM »
Marlene - RSPCA of course! How foolish of me not to realize! (Thanks!)

grandduchessella - This is FANTASTIC!  :) :) :)
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you - it is EXACTLY what I was looking for! And there is so much more to it than I had first imagine. I had absolutely no idea, for example, about the prison reforms (or many of the other things you mentioned) & I find that especially fascinating as it must have been such a different world from the one in which they (she & Vicky) grew up. The amount of work they undertook makes you wonder how they ever found time to attend the usual Court functions, have such big families & travel as frequently as they did.
The more I am learning about the work these people did (which was entirely of their own choosing, wasn't it?) the greater becomes my admiration for them; it is so inspirational, too.

THANK YOU repeated endlessly...... :)

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2005, 09:06:54 AM »
It is sad the Anglophile Queen of the Hellenes was vilified by the French and English during the Great War as an enemy of Albion...one of the big tragedies of that nasty war.

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2005, 09:52:29 AM »
I was shocked at some of the vitriol (not surprised given the tenor of the day but shocked) put out Sophie's way. There was an ad card put up on ebay not too long ago which lambasted her as a traitor and all kinds of horrible things.  :-/ And of course the rumors she stabbed Tino because he seemed to be weakening, that she had the wireless to communicate with Kaiser, etc...

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2005, 06:03:34 PM »
Part of the nasty malecentric culture of the times...when the husband is not doing what you want him to do or performing up to par...lay all blame on the meddlesome wife.  Dreadful!

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2005, 11:09:31 PM »
Deep roots in literature--witness Lady Macbeth who some royal consorts are often referred to.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2005, 06:07:27 AM »