The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
August 23, 2014, 04:25:21 AM
461449 Posts in 8944 Topics by 14515 Members
Latest Member: Kelpie
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty
| |-+  Marie Feodorovna (Moderators: grandduchessella, BobAtchison, Forum Admin, Svetabel)
| | |-+  Empress Marie Feodorovna - discussion and pictures, Part III
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 Go Down Print
Author
Topic: Empress Marie Feodorovna - discussion and pictures, Part III  (Read 98827 times)
Reply #345
« on: May 07, 2012, 01:07:50 PM »
Ena Offline
Boyar

View Profile WWW

To clarify: NICHOLAS (1868-1918) was the first born, though, as Coryne Hall suggests in "Little Mother of Russia", there is some evidence that the future Empress Marie F. may have had a miscarriage before her successful pregnancy with him. Alexander lived 1869-70, and the idea that he was the first son is nothing more than one of those "lost heir" fantasies which arise when a monarch screws up as Nicholas did: the fond idea that if his brother had succeeded, things might have gone differently. It used to be written that Alexander was the eldest in the sort of books which summarised royal lives, not in-depth biographies - in fact, Alexander Mikhailovich may be responsible, ultimately, because he did say this in one of his many tomes. Coryne does not describe him as first son in her in-depth book, because he wasn't.
Thank you, Janet.  It also doesn't help when a so-called "expert" on this forum also continues on with this misinformation.

Here is a photo of baby Alexander's tomb I took inside the Peter & Paul Cathedral. He lived 1869-1870. I hope all debates about his order of birth can cease! Wink

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:09:58 PM by Ena » Logged

Demand UK Citizenship Equality Now

Remove the discrimination against children born out of wedlock before 2006 to British fathers.
Reply #346
« on: June 01, 2012, 06:54:33 PM »
cebi26 Offline

View Profile

What was the color of Minnie's eyes? And what about her children?

Reply #347
« on: June 01, 2012, 09:33:05 PM »
Eric_Lowe Offline
Velikye Knyaz
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 17246

View Profile

Nicholas II had blue eyes like his mother...
Reply #348
« on: June 02, 2012, 02:27:07 AM »
Ally Kumari Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Minnie had brown eyes as far as I know. They look dark on photographs and there is this well-known portrait of her and Alexandra. Alix has blue eyes and minnie brown in it.

Nicholas and Misha had blue eyes, Xenia, Georgi and Olga brown eyes I think.
Reply #349
« on: June 02, 2012, 11:18:59 AM »
cebi26 Offline

View Profile

Thank you for the replies! I always thought that GD George had blue eyes like his brothers.

Reply #350
« on: June 02, 2012, 11:23:26 AM »
Ally Kumari Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Thank you for the replies! I always thought that GD George had blue eyes like his brothers.

that may be correct, I am really not sure. I have only seen one colour portrait of him and it was rather hazy, so impossible to state his eye-colour from it.
Reply #351
« on: June 02, 2012, 05:43:10 PM »
Eric_Lowe Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Not sure...Many books commented on the blueness of the last Tsar's eyes and how they resembled his mother's.
Reply #352
« on: June 02, 2012, 08:00:42 PM »
Naslednik Offline
Boyar

View Profile

Minnie's first fiancee, Nixa, described her eyes as "kind, intelligent, animated."

And here Dr. Malcolm Grow, the American surgeon who joined the Russian Army in WWI, described Nicholas' eyes:

"He had large dark eyes---the kindest eyes I have ever seen" (I always like the fact that he wrote this before Nicholas was killed, so you know Grow's memory wasn't tainted by historical events)

Perhaps mother and son did have similar eyes.
Reply #353
« on: June 03, 2012, 12:18:50 AM »
Ally Kumari Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

I have never come across any book or account, forget "many", that would claim the last Tsar got his motherīs eyes. While it is possible that the look in Nicholasī and his motherīs  eyes was similar, Nicholas had unquestionably blue eyes and Marie brown ones. I think I recall a quote by Ssandro, where he says Xenia had the darkest eyes possible just like her mother. And while I know that sometimes blue eyes look brown because of the angle of the light and all, I donīt think that is the case here.

The portraits of Marie Fyodorovna speak quite clearly.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 12:20:44 AM by Ally Kumari » Logged
Reply #354
« on: June 03, 2012, 08:11:08 AM »
Eric_Lowe Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Thanks. I wonder where the blue eyes of the Tsar came from ? Empress Marie Alexandriovna (his grandmother) ?
Reply #355
« on: June 03, 2012, 08:43:35 AM »
Ally Kumari Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Alexander III. had blue eyes. And I believe Alexander II. as well.
Reply #356
« on: June 04, 2012, 04:55:21 AM »
Eric_Lowe Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Maybe from the father's side. They usually quote Nicholas II having the same eyes as his mother. I guess that must be a miss quote. That aspect also came up in the Anna Anderson case.
Reply #357
« on: June 04, 2012, 09:49:47 AM »
cebi26 Offline

View Profile

From the portraits, it seems to me that Nicholas, George & Michael had blue eyes and Xenia and Olga brown ones.

Reply #358
« on: June 05, 2012, 06:24:57 AM »
Eric_Lowe Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Some of the portraits are not realiable...
Reply #359
« on: June 06, 2012, 12:35:11 PM »
Yelena Aleksandrovna Offline
Velikye Knyaz
Евгений Плющенко ~фигурное катание царь Posts: 3610

View Profile WWW

Maybe from the father's side. They usually quote Nicholas II having the same eyes as his mother. I guess that must be a miss quote. That aspect also came up in the Anna Anderson case.

Just an opinion: Can't it be that they were reffering that Emperor Nicholas had the same -or similar- shape of eyes than his mother? I really doubt that MF had blue eyes, she seemed to have dark eyes, unlike her sister Alexandra. I also believe that both Olga and Ksenia had dark eyes, they inherited a lot of her mother's appereance.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 12:38:02 PM by Yelena Aleksandrovna » Logged

Please visit my site: Glitter of the past
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: