Author Topic: Empress Elisabeth, Part I  (Read 325098 times)

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Sophie Charlotte (1847-1897)
    • View Profile
Re: Empress Elisabeth, Part I
« Reply #240 on: October 15, 2006, 02:52:11 AM »
By the way:
Why do you always spell her name in the kitschy version S I S S I, although it is known that Elisabeth herself wanted her name to be written with only one 's' ?
Ich aber breite trauernd aus
die weiten weissen Schwingen,
Und kehr' ins Feenreich nach Haus -
Nichts soll mich wieder bringen.

Elisabeth

Offline Alice of Hesse

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 15, 2006, 12:43:10 PM »
In 1877 the Empress Elizabeth of Austria visited England to go hunting. She stayed at Cottesbrooke House and chose Earl Spencer as Master of Hunt. When she left England she presented Earl Spencer a large picture of herself on a horse called "Merry Andrew". This picture was later hanging in the Billard room at Althorp House. Does someone of you have a picture of this painting and can post it ?

The empress also liked the portrait of Lady Henrietta Langham, the wife of Sir William Langham 8th hanging in the hall at Cottesbrooke and ordered a copy of it. Does someone of you have a picture of this painting and can post it ?

Who knows more details ?
Greetings Alice

Offline Elizaveta

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 16, 2006, 12:06:16 PM »
I've read somewhere that Empress Elisabeth "Sissi" of Austria had this strange, very modern-like obsession over her figure. Since people praised her for her beauty and her perfect figure, the Empress was determined to maintain her looks for her remaining years. She was on many diets and tried out many peculiar methods (such as putting a hot towel on her stomach before going to bed--she thought it would keep her stomach flat, thus maintaining her figure!). Although nobody realized at the time, most historians were aware of her suffering from an eating disorder (anorexia, I believe). So, she's not only growing more eccentric as she became older, she became more obsessed in preserving her beauty and figure! I am actually surprised that the Austrians in her time admired her in spite of her craziness... :-\
"I may not be a lion, but I am a lion's cub, and I have a lion's heart"

Elizabeth I

The louder he talked of his honor the faster we counted our spoons.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 16, 2006, 03:31:11 PM »
Actually the Austrian population didn't admire Elisabeth at all. They were really angry - not because of her thin body -, but because of her journeys. In the early 1860s and in her later years she was always "on the road" which also meant that she needed an amount of money. There were times when the Austrian monarchy only had an Empress by name.

Elisabeth

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 21, 2006, 11:50:03 AM »
Elisabeth was the daughter of the Duke Max and the Duchess Ludovika in Bavaria.

Her father belonged to the branch junior by Wittelsbach which went up with Jean-Charles, Count Palatine (1638-1704). In 1799, becoming Duke, Maximilien-Joseph of Bavaria granted to these Wittelsbach second-rate the tittle of Duke but in  Bavaria to distinguish them from the Dukes of  Bavaria belonging to the elder branch.
Lastly, in 1845, Louis Ier granted the quality of Royal Highnesses to them.

The Duke Max was a simple man who hated the life of court and fled the official ceremonies. He preferred food with the large air, liked to fish, hunt, and adored over all the horses, at the point to make build a personal horse-gear.

Duke Max in bavarian costume

Duke Max as a rider in his personal horse-gear

His wife, Ludovika, was of condition higher than that of her husband because, Duchess of Bavaria, she was the daughter of King Maximilien-Joseph Ier and the sister of reigning King Louis Ier.
She concluded a marriage of convenience and suffered from her lower condition whereas two of her sisters were Queens and the another mother of the emperor of Austria.
Also, she sought has to take a revenge through her daughters while intending them for high alliances.

Duchess Ludovika in 1837 with two of her children and a new born, perhaps Sissi ?

Older Max and Ludovika in Bavaria

« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 11:57:47 AM by KarlandZita »
Reginei Mama Elena a Romaniei

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 21, 2006, 03:01:18 PM »

Duchess Ludovika in 1837 with two of her children and a new born, perhaps Sissi ?

This picture shows Duchess Luise, her son Louis and her daughter Helene. The new born child is not Sissi, but Elisabeth (Sisi).  :P

Elisabeth

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 22, 2006, 09:00:31 AM »

This picture shows Duchess Luise, her son Louis and her daughter Helene. The new born child is not Sissi, but Elisabeth (Sisi).  :P

MarieCharlotte,

I note that you grant too much importance to a simple detail which for me does not have any.

Indeed, I could quote you of many books or articles which speak about Elisabeth of Austria by spelling Sissi with two S and not only one. The majority of people write it besides thus and as the majority always, thus I would continue to quote it, than you carry it likes that or not !

Now, if that shocks you so much, you are not obliged to consult this subject and I do not oblige you to take part in it, quite to the contrary !

To the wise, Hello ! ;D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 09:05:11 AM by KarlandZita »
Reginei Mama Elena a Romaniei

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 22, 2006, 03:17:35 PM »
KarlandZita,

I think that it is important to keep in mind that Elisabeth herself as well as every member of her family spelled her nickname with only one s. But if you want to keep on showing your ignorance, go on. That's sad, but I don't care. People who are really interested in Elisabeth will laugh about you and your attitude.

Oh, and don't try to tell me in which discussions I should take part in! That's definitely not your business.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:15:32 AM by Svetabel »

Elisabeth

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #248 on: October 22, 2006, 08:14:43 PM »
I think the opinions of both participants is understood by them and us all. Before it goes any further, I'd like to request that any further disagreeements take place in PMs. Thank you.

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 22, 2006, 09:43:14 PM »
One person I have met in Lake Sternberg told me that Sisi is actually Lizi...!  :o

David_Pritchard

« Reply #250 on: October 22, 2006, 11:33:17 PM »
One person I have met in Lake Sternberg told me that Sisi is actually Lizi...!  :o

Tell us more. Were you at the lake 'fishing' for gossip?

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 23, 2006, 02:09:37 AM »

Eric is right. There is a thesis that the "S" in Elisabeth's signature actually is a "L", which means Elisabeth's nickname was not "Sisi", but "Lisi".
At the station of Starnberg, there is a little museum dedicated to Elisabeth. Its owner is Mr. Heinemann. He is convinced that her name was "Lisi" - which, of course, can't be true. Every member of her family quoted her as "Sisi".

Elisabeth

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 23, 2006, 02:45:29 AM »

MarieCharlotte,

I note that you grant too much importance to a simple detail which for me does not have any.

Indeed, I could quote you of many books or articles which speak about Elisabeth of Austria by spelling Sissi with two S and not only one. The majority of people write it besides thus and as the majority always, thus I would continue to quote it, than you carry it likes that or not !

Now, if that shocks you so much, you are not obliged to consult this subject and I do not oblige you to take part in it, quite to the contrary !

To the wise, Hello ! ;D

Dear Karl and Zita,

Please look what you are saying and do not offend, if people only defend the historical truth!  Maybe it is unimportant to you, how empress Elisabeths name was spelled, but you should notice that it is not a proof for a historical fact, that many do or say that thing in a special way. There may be people, who spell Elisabeth´s name with two "S" in books or other sources, but as I said that´s no "proof" that this is correct.
As a historian one knows that not everything is right, only because it is written. As I study history I know that.
So, please, anybody has the right here, to clear the facts and take part in our discussions. Please be careful about your comments next time.

La vérité est plus importante que l'amour

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 23, 2006, 02:52:41 AM »
Yes...I did met and spoke to Mr. Heinemann while I was in Lake Starnberg. I bought quite a few old prints from his shop/museum. The things there are really super !  ;D

Offline Veronika

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 25, 2006, 12:26:26 PM »

In this picture are Rudolf and Gisela....and Elisabeth? What do you think?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 12:34:05 PM by Veronika »