Author Topic: Empress Elisabeth, Part I  (Read 320698 times)

Offline gogm

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • Grand Ladies
Re: Empress Elisabeth, Part I
« Reply #390 on: May 13, 2007, 10:24:33 PM »
It looks like I posted some duplicates. Here's more that I hope are not duplicates:

From NY Public Library images collection.

Offline synnadene

• Boyar
  • Maria Annunziata 1843-1871
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 14, 2007, 02:04:31 AM »
Is this it?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/gogm/Sissi/bild6-1.jpg

No, this is a famous painting of Gyula Benczur.

The portrait I've posted is also in the book of Raymond Chevrier abour Elisabeth.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:27:02 AM by Svetabel »

Offline dboro

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 16, 2007, 08:42:20 AM »

Yes, the painter is the same: Gyula Benczúr. In 1898 Emperor Franz Joseph commissioned five portraits of Elisabeth for the former Empress' ladies in waiting. Two of them were painted by Gyula Benczúr. The one painted for Ida Ferenczy is to be found today in the Hungarian National Museum (Oil, canvas, 142 x 92,5 cm, inv. no. 1861), this is the FAMOUS ONE, which can be seen on the cover of Hamann's album, and on the cover of the Hungarian album (now there are plans of a second edition), too.
Now it's not on display, but it will be one of the highlights of a new temporary exhibition "The Cult of Elisabeth" in Gödöllő. (Opening: 7th June). In this year there are many programs because of three anniversaries: 1837, 1857 - Elisabeth's first visit to Hungary, 1867. There's an extra site with the huge variety of these programs (and also with a study written by me  :) - still only in Hungarian about the posthumous portraits of Elisabeth).
A new book will be also published written by the museologists of the palace. It will be a richly illustrated catalogue of the historical postcard collection of the palace showing the Hungarian places of memory of Elisabeth in the turn of the last century. It will be published in three languages. There will be an other exhibition in the Museum of Budapest History "Queen Elisabeth and the Royal Palace of Buda" - Opening: 8th June). And many more... (For example: on the long night of museums (23th June) Brigitte Hamann will visit the castle and lecture on Elisabeth etc. etc.)
Now we're writing an illustrated catalogue of the new Gödöllő exhibition (the text is finally RREEAADDYY), and another picture album is coming soon...
So,
the second portrait by Benczúr was painted for Irma Sztáray (also in 1899). Now it's lost, but there are some historical photos of it (I will send one a few hours later), and there's a replica (presumably also by Benczúr himself) in the Thurn und Taxis Kunstsammlungen in Regensburg, Germany. (oil, canvas, 138 x 94 cm, inv. no.: St.E. 492.) It was on display in the exhibition "Bavaria - Germania - Europa, Geschichte auf Bayerisch" in the Haus der Bayerischen Geschichte in Augsburg in 2000 (cat. no. 6.48.). The small colour detail posted before is from the official website of this exhibition. There's a photo showing the complete painting is colour on the website as well, but I was unable to download it. The BW detail postred before seems to be detail of the original painting.
(And there's a third portrait of Benczúr: a full length one showing E in the same dress with a dog - it was burnt during the WW II).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 03:53:35 AM by Svetabel »

Offline dboro

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 16, 2007, 08:45:57 AM »
Here are some more. There are many Sisi sites on the Web!

Where is this reproduction from I wonder. It was originally published in the London Illustrated News in the 1880s, but I still haven't seen the original, only the one reproduced in the Hungarian press. And it seems to be the English version. Do you have a bigger version of it?

Offline dboro

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 16, 2007, 08:54:28 AM »

A few years ago it was in terrible condition (WW II as usual). Itr was exhibited that way in Autumn 2005 in an Austrian exhibition. Now it's restored: you can see the whole process here: http://www.bda.at/text/136/1435/8460/

Offline dboro

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 16, 2007, 02:08:37 PM »

Similar, but not the same  :( Maybe the author is the same  ???
Yes, the painter is the same: Gyula Benczúr. In 1898 Emperor Franz Joseph commissioned five portraits of Elisabeth for the former Empress' ladies in waiting. Two of them were painted by Gyula Benczúr. The one painted for Ida Ferenczy is to be found today in the Hungarian National Museum (Oil, canvas, 142 x 92,5 cm, inv. no. 1861), this is the FAMOUS ONE, which can be seen on the cover of Hamann's album, and on the cover of the Hungarian album (now there are plans of a second edition), too.
Now it's not on display, but it will be one of the highlights of a new temporary exhibition "The Cult of Elisabeth" in Gödöllő. (Opening: 7th June). In this year there are many programs because of three anniversaries: 1837, 1857 - Elisabeth's first visit to Hungary, 1867. There's an extra site with the huge variety of these programs (and also with a study written by me  :) - still only in Hungarian about the posthumous portraits of Elisabeth).
A new book will be also published written by the museologists of the palace. It will be a richly illustrated catalogue of the historical postcard collection of the palace showing the Hungarian places of memory of Elisabeth in the turn of the last century. It will be published in three languages. There will be an other exhibition in the Museum of Budapest History "Queen Elisabeth and the Royal Palace of Buda" - Opening: 8th June). And many more... (For example: on the long night of museums (23th June) Brigitte Hamann will visit the castle and lecture on Elisabeth etc. etc.)
Now we're writing an illustrated catalogue of the new Gödöllő exhibition (the text is finally RREEAADDYY), and another picture album is coming soon...
So,
the second portrait by Benczúr was painted for Irma Sztáray (also in 1899). Now it's lost, but there are some historical photos of it (I will send one a few hours later), and there's a replica (presumably also by Benczúr himself) in the Thurn und Taxis Kunstsammlungen in Regensburg, Germany. (oil, canvas, 138 x 94 cm, inv. no.: St.E. 492.) It was on display in the exhibition "Bavaria - Germania - Europa, Geschichte auf Bayerisch" in the Haus der Bayerischen Geschichte in Augsburg in 2000 (cat. no. 6.48.). The small colour detail posted before is from the official website of this exhibition. There's a photo showing the complete painting is colour on the website as well, but I was unable to download it. The BW detail postred before seems to be detail of the original painting.
(And there's a third portrait of Benczúr: a full length one showing E in the same dress with a dog - it was burnt during the WW II).
So, here it comes

Offline dboro

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 16, 2007, 02:12:55 PM »

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 16, 2007, 02:38:14 PM »
beautiful  :) thank you very much dboro!!

Offline dboro

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 16, 2007, 02:43:16 PM »
Sorry, it's going to be a bit personal, I've just realized that synnadene is Hungarian, too, so it's a bit funny that I wrote in English about programs that she(?) presumably know... But hope that there is someone who finds these informations useful...  :D  :D
On Sunday I sent an invitation to a Hungarian Elisabeth-forum, because we (The Institute of Habsburg Studies) oganised an infortainment, and as I can remember, there was a forum member called synnadene, too :D...
So she can read the same informations in Hungarian in my study on the new Gödöllő website...
http://www.kiralyikastely.hu/erzsebet/index.php?mid=45
I'm just reading my previous post... Five "of"s in one sentence  ;D  ;D I think it's better to read me in Hungarian... :D

Offline Kaiserin Sissi

• I Love Sissi and Franz Josef
    • View Profile
    • Site de l'Association Elisabeth Impératrice d'Autriche - Reine de Hongrie (Sissi)
« Reply #399 on: May 17, 2007, 11:33:35 AM »

Similar, but not the same  :( Maybe the author is the same  ???
Now it's not on display, but it will be one of the highlights of a new temporary exhibition "The Cult of Elisabeth" in Gödöllő. (Opening: 7th June). In this year there are many programs because of three anniversaries: 1837, 1857 - Elisabeth's first visit to Hungary, 1867. There's an extra site with the huge variety of these programs (and also with a study written by me  :) - still only in Hungarian about the posthumous portraits of Elisabeth).
So,

And where are the three over painting and for who was painting ?  Marie Festetics for exemple ?

Offline dboro

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 18, 2007, 04:16:17 AM »
So:
- for Ida Ferenczy: Gyula Benczúr, today: Hungarian National Museum
- for Irma Sztáray: Gyula Benczúr, today: location unknown, replica (presumably by Benczúr): Thurn und Taxis Kunstsammlungen, Regensburg
- for Marie Festetics: by József Koppay, today: Hungarian National Museum
- for Marie Therese Harrach, born Thurn und Taxis and
- for Leontin Andrássy, born Wenckheim: two similar portraits by Leopold Horovitz (I still don't know which is which, it needs more researches)
One of them appeared on the 1999 Kaiserhaus Auction of Dorotheum, now it can be found in a traditional Vienna wine cellar’s „museum” (Piaristenkeller, Franz Joseph Hutmuseum)
The other: location unknown
I'll send photos, too.

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 19, 2007, 05:13:02 AM »

Sisi posing with her siblings to Possenhofen

Sisi and her sister Helene

Elisabeth on horse with her two sisters Marie, Queen of Naples, and Mathilde,
Countess Trani
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 05:17:02 AM by KarlandZita »
Reginei Mama Elena a Romaniei

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 20, 2007, 01:30:24 AM »
No ! The last one was of Queen Maria Sofia of Naples and her two Bourbon sisters-in-law.  :(

Rani

« Reply #403 on: May 20, 2007, 06:03:32 AM »

Marie, Franz and Ferdinand

Sophie de Alencon as a teenie

Ludovika, Helene, Ludwig and Sisi

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 20, 2007, 08:26:29 PM »
Nice one of Sophie Alencon !  ;)

From the Prussian archievs ? Is it located in Berlin ?  ???