Author Topic: Olga's Nickname?  (Read 18898 times)

Offline AnastasiaNikolaevna

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Olga's Nickname?
« on: July 04, 2010, 01:59:41 PM »
What were Olga's nicknames besides Olishka? Thanks!
You are filled with anguish
For the suffering of others
And no one's grief
Has ever passed you by
You are relentless
Only towards yourself
Forever cold and pitiless
But only if you could look upon
Your Own sadness From a distance
Oh, how you would pity yourself
How sadly you would we

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Re: Olga's Nickname?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 09:55:07 PM »
The only nickname I've been able to confirm is "Olenka" -- Alexandra used it in a handful of notes to her daughter around 1909, if I recall correctly.

Incidentally, I've never been able to find written evidence that Olga was called "Olya" or "Olishka."
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 06:54:31 AM »
Hmmmm. I think I read "Olishka" in a book somewhere, but, of course, it might not have been very valid information. Thanks!
And no one's grief
Has ever passed you by
You are relentless
Only towards yourself
How sadly you would we

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 07:28:30 AM »
The only place I've seen Olishka is on Livadia.org.
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 08:05:35 AM »
Ah, right, they do call her Olishka there, too.
And no one's grief
Has ever passed you by
You are relentless
Only towards yourself
How sadly you would we

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 11:14:56 PM »
Most of the nicknames of Nicky's girls you would find here are made up by us , members .  ;D Of course, those names are popular in Russia to nickname other girls named Olga, Tatiana, Maria and Anastasia. But almost all of them are actually applied to OTMA by us, not their family or friends. I think that the very exception is "Mashka", Maria's nickname. She was indeed named that way.

Maybe their family would call the girls "Olishka", "Tanushka", "Nastenka" and so on...But the problem is that we didn't know it for sure.  ::)

RealAnastasia.

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 06:34:41 AM »
Hmmm.....I understand. I've heard so many nicknames for all of the Grand Duchesses, some of which I highly doubt! Do you know if there is any written proof of Anastasia being called My Legs? I think I read somewhere that her mother called her that, but then again, sometimes authors make mistakes.
And no one's grief
Has ever passed you by
You are relentless
Only towards yourself
How sadly you would we

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 07:08:05 AM »
Do you know if there is any written proof of Anastasia being called My Legs? I think I read somewhere that her mother called her that, but then again, sometimes authors make mistakes.

I believe that was in Lili Dehn's memoir -- it happened during the outbreak of the revolution.

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 07:38:44 AM »
Ahh, that's it. Thanks!
And no one's grief
Has ever passed you by
You are relentless
Only towards yourself
How sadly you would we

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 10:19:03 PM »
I was just thinking about this the other day. All the girls have at least one nickname! But Olga doesn't seem to really . The closest she came was as Sarushka  pointed out her mother used the name  "Olenka"  in 1909 . The only other time I can remember was in a letter  Anastasia was writing( to her father?)were she describes Marie and Olga fighting ...she says Marie is bellowing like an idiot and Olga is acting  like a dragon...so this letter is the  story of the idiot and the dragon. Anastasia seemed to have the most. She seemed to collect them .  I was just reading how she once exasperated Gibbs so much, he told her to shut up! She immediately wanted to know how to spell it in English and then used it as a nickname  for herself with him! lol!

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 12:13:20 AM »
The only other time I can remember was in a letter  Anastasia was writing( to her father?)were she describes Marie and Olga fighting ...she says Marie is bellowing like an idiot and Olga is acting  like a dragon...so this letter is the  story of the idiot and the dragon.

I thought it was "dragoon." Huh. I'll have to double-check.

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 06:10:07 AM »
 .  I was just reading how she once exasperated Gibbs so much, he told her to shut up! She immediately wanted to know how to spell it in English and then used it as a nickname  for herself with him! lol!
[/quote]

LOL!
And no one's grief
Has ever passed you by
You are relentless
Only towards yourself
How sadly you would we

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 06:42:45 AM »
.  I was just reading how she once exasperated Gibbs so much, he told her to shut up! She immediately wanted to know how to spell it in English and then used it as a nickname  for herself with him! lol!

LOL!

Although you may find this incident somewhat amusing, I most certainly do not! This alleged anecdote has been either mistranslated/misinterpreted or in all probability, it never happened as has been depicted here.

Please recognize that no member of the teaching staff at the Palace would have dared to express such rudeness or discourtesy towards their Imperial pupil. Had any educator acted inappropriately in the manner portrayed in your posting, that person would have been instantly dismissed.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 06:45:26 AM by Belochka »

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 06:53:06 AM »
.  I was just reading how she once exasperated Gibbs so much, he told her to shut up! She immediately wanted to know how to spell it in English and then used it as a nickname  for herself with him! lol!

LOL!

Although you may find this incident somewhat amusing, I most certainly do not! This alleged anecdote has been either mistranslated/misinterpreted or in all probability, it never happened as has been depicted here.

Please recognize that no member of the teaching staff at the Palace would have dared to express such rudeness or discourtesy towards their Imperial pupil. Had any educator acted inappropriately in the manner portrayed in your posting, that person would have been instantly dismissed.

Perhaps if blessOTMA can provide a source, you can trace the anecdote's origins and prove your assertion. This story sounds somewhat familiar to me, but I can't place it offhand.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 07:46:36 AM »

LOL!

Perhaps if blessOTMA can provide a source, you can trace the anecdote's origins and prove your assertion. This story sounds somewhat familiar to me, but I can't place it offhand.

The idea that the anecdote might suggest some familiarity should not imply that it can be considered factual.

In order to prevent the perpetuation of myths, the onus of proof should lie with the person who posted that anecdote.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:55:17 AM by Belochka »

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/