Author Topic: "Resurrection of the Romanovs: Anastasia, Anna Anderson" by King And Wilson  (Read 145353 times)

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Re: "Resurrection of the Romanovs: Anastasia, Anna Anderson" by King And Wilson
« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2010, 05:47:20 PM »
Do you mean dyslexia? Did Anastasia suffer from it?

No, not at all. I just think she wasn't proficient in written communication. And she was a lazy scholar to boot.

In a nutshell, I don't think we can infer much about her oral English skills from a written school assignment.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #121 on: December 30, 2010, 06:32:33 PM »
Bringing us back to RESURRECTION.  I found the section on FS very interesting.
It is said that she was a very good student.  Otto Meyer, the son of the teacher who was quoted in saying FS was limited
in intelligence, thought otherwise:
p. 272
>>...always did very good in school.  She spoke well, and learned everything she scould.  She often received recognition for her performance from the School Rector.<<   Others students and her sister agreed with Otto Meyer.  Proof: >...she completed her ninth grade studies in fewer than six months winning a certificate of graduation far ahead of her classmates<<

They don't mention anything about FS's spelling.
-----
A side note on spelling.  No one can judge a person's intelligence by their spelling.  I know many   smart doctors, lawyers and CEOs who spell worst than GD Anastasia.   Added to this list are authors, who are well noted for their terrible spelling.   If it hadn't been for Sophia,  her husband, Leo Tolstoy,  may never have been published.

AGRBear
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 31, 2010, 04:46:06 AM »
Anastasia was a very lazy student and her education wasn't taken very seriously. Result, little progress.

Having now read the book I can recommend it very strongly. I would say that Anna Anderson had a good brain, though limited formal education, and, in particular, an extremely retentive memory, especially for small details - this was one of the key factors in deceiving the people she did deceive. She also had a remarkable capacity for making people for sorry for her, and providing her with accommodation for lengthy periods - very much on her own terms and despite her awful behaviour.

I will also say that I am now entirely satisfied that the identification as Franciska Schankowska is correct (I had a slight margin of doubt previously), but I will probably carry on calling her Anna Anderson because it is so much easier to pronounce.

Ann

Offline Greg_King

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Atlantis Magazine
« Reply #123 on: December 31, 2010, 06:04:17 AM »

I will also say that I am now entirely satisfied that the identification as Franciska Schankowska is correct (I had a slight margin of doubt previously), but I will probably carry on calling her Anna Anderson because it is so much easier to pronounce.

Ann

If it makes you feel any better, both Penny and myself sort of regard her as separate entities as well-until 1920 she was Franziska, after this Anna Anderson; though one and the same, in some ways-even thoroughly, absolutely knowing she was the same person before and after 1920, it's difficult to reconcile the one with the other-not in terms of evidence or questions of identity, but merely as individuals. One is ordinary, shadowy, all but lost to history; the other is a legend in her own right.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
« Reply #124 on: December 31, 2010, 11:32:11 AM »
Of course, one can look at the picture of FS and the young AA, they look very much alike.   Clearly they are the same person.
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Alixz

« Reply #125 on: December 31, 2010, 12:17:35 PM »
Re Post #123:    Hello, Alixz!   "Arabic" alphabet (re  English, French, German...) ?  I'm certain that you meant the "Latin" alphabet !  In good humor, and with best wishes for the New Year!   AP.

Of course you are right.  I was thinking Arabic numerals.  After I posted, I meant to come back and change that, but thank you for doing it for me!   ;-)

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 31, 2010, 04:23:07 PM »
I just heard from Chapter's.  My copy has arrived.  I'll have it on Tuesday.

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 01, 2011, 12:51:20 AM »
According to Amazon mine's not due till Jan 31. :-(  Still, it might get here quicker. Am very much looking forward to read about this person who fooled so many for so long.

Offline Greg_King

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Atlantis Magazine
« Reply #128 on: January 01, 2011, 04:18:54 AM »
Sorry it seems to be taking so long for some orders but hopefully it will be worth the wait!

Offline Geniebeanie

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 02, 2011, 10:15:20 PM »
I bought it from Amazon and found it very interesting.      Sorry but I still think she was the Grand Duchess, Only one tenth of DNA is different from a indivual and I still think the test  were conducted to prove she was not  the GD.   Nothing will ever change my mind.  Still the book was interesting.

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 02, 2011, 11:29:50 PM »
As I have said over the years, even incontrovertible empirical evidence will not convince die-hard AA supporters. I do suggest that the previous poster educate herself about DNA testing and be aware of our Forum policies.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2011, 11:45:58 PM »
Lisa, there are people out there who still believe the Earth is flat.  No matter how much evidence you show them, they won't believe.  The AA supporters are the same way, it seems.

Offline Carisbrooke

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 03, 2011, 07:03:18 AM »
   Over the years I've gone through the whole list of emotions regarding AA's claim. From yes it could be the Grand Duchess to no it certainly isn't, & then latterly to a downright hatred of the woman. After reading G & P's book about all her misfortunes, especially from her early family life and then under the care of Doris Wingender, I could only feel sorry for her. As for arguments over DNA in this case its all irrelevant, the myth is busted, FS was AA and therefore not Anastasia. I think the book makes that clear, no science is required at all. AA's claim always was a matter of personal belief, so it seems ironic that in the form of the DNA we had to rely on something most of us don't understand or trust. Thanks to this book, it means we do not have to do so anymore.

Yet again another herculean task from the Greg & Penny team. I add my congratulations to the ever growing list.          
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 07:12:44 AM by Carisbrooke »

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 03, 2011, 09:53:55 AM »
Indeed it is an excellent book and I too, have compassion for Franziska for her suffering. However, I am incensed about what she put the real grand duchess' family and friends through. That was truly despicable. Yes, regardless of the facts and proofs, there are those who believe Anastasia survived, the earth is flat, and that you can get something for nothing.

Alixz

« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2011, 10:09:42 AM »
Understanding DNA is very hard for a lot of us.  I have not yet begun to understand exactly how the process works, and yet I have had it explained to me by many Forum members who are scientists and medical experts and I still don't get it.

So, I have to accept what I am told.  However (and again, I don't believe that Anna Anderson was Anastasia Nikolaevna) I am still and always be confused by the DNA process and how it proves anything.

I do think though that continuing to talk about "flat earth" believers is a little condescending.  Perhaps we should stick to the book and discuss its merits or flaws.

I have not yet finished reading it.  I started with a lot of time over New Year's weekend, but several family concerns and a bad head cold took some of that time away from me.  I plan to get back to it today.