Author Topic: "Resurrection of the Romanovs: Anastasia, Anna Anderson" by King And Wilson  (Read 147248 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: "Resurrection of the Romanovs: Anastasia, Anna Anderson" by King And Wilson
« Reply #375 on: February 04, 2011, 04:57:32 PM »
Incredibly the tattoo argument is still being used against the book. Here's a phto from the Beinecke albums (#2, page 9, 2nd photo, in case anyone wants to verify)

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Alixz

« Reply #376 on: February 04, 2011, 05:14:42 PM »
I see a very large dragon tattoo.  It is faint, but clearly visible from his elbow to a point above his wrist. Not that little scratch that is highlighted.

I think that since Nicholas himself mentions it in his diary, then it is a primary source that he did get a tattoo in Japan as did George V and other royal sailors and visitors.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #377 on: February 04, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
One can see other photos of the tattoo on a thread in Nicholas's sub-forum. I did a 'tattoo' search. I had posted this (and a link on Amazon) since they came directly from Beinecke and can't be accused (as other photos on here have in the reviews) of possibly being doctored.  ::)

Offline EmmyLee

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 04, 2011, 06:05:46 PM »
Success! I suggested that my library should purchase a copy of this book and it's on order.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
« Reply #379 on: February 05, 2011, 01:07:52 AM »
That's nice to hear.  It's a great book.
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #380 on: February 07, 2011, 10:35:37 AM »
Original one star review by LittleNell removed a replaced with a VERY brief one (still 1 star though). ALL the comments have been removed which I have never seen done before. Usually when a comment is removed by poster or by Amazon there remains a message about it being removed and by whom. I guess it happened because LittleNell deleted, not revised, her original review. This is like they never existed. 3 new comments have been posted since the new review. Hopefully, more can be focused on the actual BOOK but the derision (by a friend of Anna Anderson's, Robert Crouch) has already begun. Main complaint--authors too subjective. Pot, meet kettle!

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Art in Avatar done by Lisa!
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #381 on: February 07, 2011, 04:19:53 PM »
I have to say sheepishly that I have yet to completely finish the book.

I just read through the last 26 pages of this thread and man..... Drama for everyone's mamma!

First off, I have to say that I appreciate FA for taking the time to explain DNA testing, I was one of those many who was rather confused by it, but no longer! 
I am very excited to have Mr. King and Ms. Wilson here with us to discuss the book! What a treat.

Secondly, it would be nice if people could put their grown-up pants on and deal with difference of opinion in a mature manner. The mud-slinging that goes around really baffles me sometimes.

I look forward to finishing this great publication and appreciate the opportunity given to us to discuss the topic with the authors!

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 07, 2011, 07:18:22 PM »
Since I know many of the writers currently working on late Romanov history, I have always tried to keep the Forum a place where they can post and answer their readers' questions. This was a remarkable failure in the case of "Fate of the Romanovs". There were times when I wanted to leave the Forum, as attacks on the authors were often petty or personal or both! I sincerely hope that we can maintain a mature level of discourse, but I am not holding my breath.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #383 on: February 07, 2011, 08:20:14 PM »
I think the last few pages at least have been very mature--certainly nothing like the prior FOTR discussion nor the discussion (since deleted) on Amazon. THAT was the kind of craziness you reference and involved at least one former member who contributed to the FOTR disaster. I have high hopes for this thread. Perhaps it's a less emotional discussion since, except for True Believers who will never be convinced, the DNA put the case to rest. FOTR dealt with very emotional issues and many felt shattered some illusions. This is a very objective book it seems and weaves rather a mystery of how AA 'became' Anastasia for so many. I just don't sense the same receipe for disaster. Perhaps if there hadn't been conclusive DNA it would be different. Also, we have a number of different posters (and an increased number of mods!) here from before so that might help.

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Art in Avatar done by Lisa!
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #384 on: February 07, 2011, 10:16:49 PM »
Oh yes. I apologize. I should have clarified, I wasn't saying that the drama was necessarily on the AP, I was more referring to the Amazon review site.
We've been pretty good thus far. : P

Offline Greg_King

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Atlantis Magazine
« Reply #385 on: February 07, 2011, 11:30:57 PM »
Factually there were numerous errors cropping up in the actual Amazon reviews and comments related to the actual book, but it is best that Penny and myself not get involved in a back and forth there, which would lead nowhere. However we're happy to answer any questions here or address anything if anyone has specific questions about the book or about anything being raised as a "reason" to dismiss the book.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 08, 2011, 11:53:46 AM »
Yes, I like the dicussions here.  No trolls allowed.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 10, 2011, 04:56:01 PM »
LittleNell has found her way to the Canadian Amazon site.  I just shook my head at her review, this is a true Flat Earther.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 11, 2011, 12:35:21 PM »
Amazon. like APF is a privately owned  entity. It is commercial as well. You can be sure they have  banks of lawyers to prove they have the right to post these comments, whether or not they  agree with them. They stay objective, in a commercial way. That is, the more controversy that a book, any book, creates, the more sales. That is the point of the business, is it not?
 King & Wilson are  pretty thick skinned with all of of this,  so  I hope all the BS sent their way only provides more pennies in the respective pockets.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 08:37:23 AM by Alixz »
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 11, 2011, 04:36:04 PM »
Still it's amazing some people can be so stubborn to close their eyes to the truth.  Science has proven that AA was never Anastasia, case closed.