Author Topic: "Resurrection of the Romanovs: Anastasia, Anna Anderson" by King And Wilson  (Read 146353 times)

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
Re: "Resurrection of the Romanovs: Anastasia, Anna Anderson" by King And Wilson
« Reply #330 on: January 30, 2011, 04:05:45 PM »
Im reading those comments. For gods sake...

Im waiting for get that book. A good friend of mine bought it and she s gonna borrow it me while im at the hospital (im giving birth in a coiple of weeks)

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #331 on: January 30, 2011, 04:22:14 PM »
I think worrying about people using their real name is silly.   No one here knows who I am,  and,  I intend to keep it this way.   And,  if I choose to voice my opinion over on Amazon, as I have here on AP,  I would continue to use my alias.  

LittleNell8 is not Peter Kurth.  I am friends with both even though we have different opinions as to AA being FS.  

Peter Kurth fully co-operated with Greg and Penny in their search for this book.  Greg and probably Penny will mention the help he gave them as this discussion continues here on AP.  

I find it quite offense for poster to degrade these three authors, who have always wanted to discover the truth about AA.  

Calling people names because you don't share their opinions is lacking respect.   If you don't agree,  say so,  give a source and ALWAYS be respectful.   As adults,  act like adult and give the younger generation examples of how to discuss a subject without showing your childish side.

[Bear climbs off her soap box].

Exit stage right.

AGRBear

'The most telling thing to me about the lunacy on the Amazon reviews is that every single person who supports the book and Penny and Greg uses THEIR OWN REAL NAME. The ones who want to trash it hide in darkness with made up pseudonyms ("little nell" and "Chat Noir") because they do not have the courage and conviction to speak with their real names. That alone should tell you about their agenda and mind set.'

Look out for my review under my own name!

Ann Lyon

"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
« Reply #332 on: January 30, 2011, 04:47:08 PM »
Anyone who still believes AA was Anastasia seriously needs a reality check.  I just love when they mention this sinister international cabal that has tainted the DNA.  Of course, they never give a reason why this mythological cabal would do it.  Logic is something these people are immune to, it seems.
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline historyfan

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 30, 2011, 08:38:08 PM »
Sounds to me as though there are a lot of people turning over in a lot of graves right about now.  Good Lord.

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 30, 2011, 10:48:27 PM »
I have no fear about pointing out the gorilla in the corner. It is indeed sad that Peter Kurth is hiding behind the "Little Nell" name on Amazon to try to trash the book. Even worse is his refusal to read and comment on the manuscript before publishing and now come out and make these allegations.

The most telling thing to me about the lunacy on the Amazon reviews is that every single person who supports the book and Penny and Greg uses THEIR OWN REAL NAME. The ones who want to trash it hide in darkness with made up pseudonyms ("little nell" and "Chat Noir") because they do not have the courage and conviction to speak with their real names. That alone should tell you about their agenda and mind set.

Pathetic.

Good night, FA:

Are you really SURE that "Little Nell" IS indeed Peter Kurth? I think it's out of his personality to act in such a vicious way. I think that Greg and Penny did an outstanding work demonstrating who AA really was (and I still find somewhat hard to accept it, not for my mind is closed to reasoning, but only for I believed in her claim for years) and that Peter would not be very bright if attacking them without showing any new document who could allow him to say his colleagues are wrong. If them two as researchers, found all this great amount of information , showing that AA was FS and not ANR, one must accept it, or at least try to find the same amount of documents to demonstrate the opposite. But Peter is a good researcher, an honest one, and would never attack Penny and Greg in such incivilizated way . When I believed that AA was ANR, I ws sincere, and didn't want to attack people who wouldn't share my opinion. In fact, I was saddened the way that pro-FS party (they were right, but this is not a reason to dismiss a sincere person who believes otherwise) treated me, Greg, Penny (back then, they were quite convinced about AA's claim legitimacy), Bear, Peter and some other AP Forums members. I'll be surprised if Peter acts the same way toward other researchers...This is not my friend Peter.

Again, FA: Are you really sure that this "Little Nell" is indeed Peter Kurth? I doubt it.

RealAnastasia.                                
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 11:01:35 PM by RealAnastasia »

Offline Greg_King

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Atlantis Magazine
« Reply #335 on: January 31, 2011, 06:11:36 AM »
Peter did indeed assist us when we were researching the book. It is also true that he declined several offers to read the manuscript prior to publication and offer comments or corrections, which of course was his right.

The fracas on Amazon is more amusing than anything else-clearly an instructive lesson in bizarre psychology

Offline Tsarfan

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Miss the kings, but not the kingdoms
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 31, 2011, 06:31:13 AM »

LittleNell8 is not Peter Kurth.  I am friends with both even though we have different opinions as to AA being FS . . . .  

Calling people names because you don't share their opinions is lacking respect.   If you don't agree,  say so,  give a source and ALWAYS be respectful.   As adults,  act like adult and give the younger generation examples of how to discuss a subject without showing your childish side.

Bear, what is your view of your friend Little Nell's referring on amazon to Resurrection as a "silly hoax"?  Is that your definition of "respect"?

Perhaps your friend Nell is posting on amazon on Peter's behalf.  But you -- and others -- really should read the comments on amazon to understand the case for Little Nell's identity.  She even uses the same affectation of British spellings that Kurth uses.  And there is considerably more.

You're going to make a serious mistake if you want to bring all this onto the AP forum.  But I suspect you will, anyway.

Alixz

« Reply #337 on: January 31, 2011, 08:45:26 AM »
I don't believe that this thread is the place to discuss other review of this very serious and well researched book.

Many who post here are historians and professionals and have access to the sources and many, like me, are just "talented" amateurs (if I do say so myself).

Everyone in the world is entitled to his/her own opinion.

FA, of course, owns the thread and has the right to post whatever her wants to.  The rest of us obey his rules.

The "prime directive",so to speak, is civility and respect for each other.  Please let us have that and stop the snarking and the back biting.

We have now got ROTR to replace FOTR as the subject of intense scrutiny and intense personal opinion.

Discussion of FOTR was banned in the not too distant past, lets not start all over again with ROTR!

Greg and Penney are talented researchers and writers.  Peter Kurth is entitled to his own opinions and has written his own works on the subject from his point of view and from the direction in which his research took him.

Just because there are some who wish to review ROTR on Amazon and disagree with the results that Greg and Penney published should not have anything to do with our discussion of the book and its merits (which I find are many - but then I as much as I wanted to be an Anna Anderson believer - I just could not be).

This AA as FS controversy has been going on here on the Forum and everywhere else in the world since before most of us were born.  But let's stick to Greg and Penny's wonderful book and not get sidetracked, yet again.

FA has given the moderators the right to delete any posts that do not conform to the rules of the forum.  I don't like to have to do that, but if we can't end this age old controversy over AA vs FA and who knew or didn't know or who is Chat Noir or Lil Nell (which doesn't at all matter in this thread) I will begin deleting!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 08:50:49 AM by Alixz »

Alixz

« Reply #338 on: January 31, 2011, 08:55:26 AM »
Actually, right now, I have a very important matter to deal with.

Griff Henninger, who is the author of the six continuing threads called "The Empress Alexandra Fights Back" has asked that all six threads be deleted.

Griff is ready to publish his first work on Alexandra and his publisher has asked that all of the material in the Empress Alexandra Fights Back be deleted from the forum.  It has to do with copyright infringement and other matters.

I have posted this on the Alexandra sub forum and as of now, I am prepared to delete that mass of work on Wednesday, February 2, 2011.

As much as I don't want to, it is Griff's request and, I guess, his need to have all of the research and notes taken down before his work goes into publication.

Jus thought you might like to know.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 31, 2011, 09:13:39 AM »
Here is my review for Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Book, 31 Jan 2011
By A. E. Lyon "Ann" (Plymouth, England) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)                   

This review is from: The Resurrection of the Romanovs: Anastasia, Anna Anderson, and the World's Greatest Royal Mystery (Hardcover)
I first heard about Anna Anderson when I was 11. I was a sceptic then and a sceptic I remained, though there was a lurking doubt until the 1994 DNA tests proved her to be an imposter. However, what has always interested me is how it was that so many people, by no means all of them unintelligent or hopelessly romantic, believed her improbable claims. Greg King and Penny Wilson have provided convincing answers. First, until as late as 2007, when the final Romanov bodies were discovered, there was simply no definite proof that Anastasia had been murdered with the rest of the family. Second, Anna Anderson (as I continue to think of her), had had a good basic education and a remarkable memory for small details, either those this read in books and magazines, or picked up from Russian emigres, and those who interviewed her, either as supporters or doubters. Third, her meetings with those who had known the real Anastasia (and there were few living who had actually known her well) were often misleadingly reported, or ambiguities were seized upon. For instance, Nicholas II's sister, Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna, informed her biographer, 'German was never used in the family,' meaning, presumably, that Nicholas and family never spoke or wrote in German among themselves. There developed a heated debate over whether Anastasia had ever learned German, and attempts to deny this in the face of evidence were grist to the mill of Anna Anderson's supporters.

Greg King and Penny Wilson have done an enormous amount of research and taken care to go back to primary sources rather than relying on secondary works of questionable accuracy. They are to be congratulated on producing a lucid and convincing account which finally explodes the conspiracy theories which have raged for 90 years

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #340 on: January 31, 2011, 10:08:38 AM »
I opinions as to AA being FS.  

Peter Kurth fully co-operated with Greg and Penny in their search for this book.  Greg and probably Penny will mention the help he gave them as this discussion continues here on AP.  

I find it quite offense for poster to degrade these three authors, who have always wanted to discover the truth about AA.  

Bear,

One, you have EARNED the right to use your alias with your years of reasoned questioning and research.  Two, you must not be very close friends with PK.  Your statement is wholly incorrect.  For the entire several years of the Resurrection project Penny and Greg have asked Peter repeatedly for his help and to read the manuscripts and provide his comments. Peter DECLINED to help in any way and did nothing to cooperate with the project, except his silence.

RealAnastasia. I have had dealings with Kurth for over fifteen years. Yes, I'm sad to say, he is totally capable of such behavior.  Do recall he was out of control on a flight from New York to London and was arrested on landing for his disruptive behavior.  I have a host of most nasty emails and posts from him. Everyone who has known Kurth for decades is quite convinced that Little Nell's posts were written by PK, even if someone else actually posted them on Amazon so Kurth can have "plausible deniability" when Amazon is subpoenaed for the posting records.

Bob and I talked at great length this morning about all of this. We have decided as follows:
We have worked with Penny and Greg on this book, our names are in it. We stand 110% behind their research and efforts and believe that any review of the book, wherever written, is fair game for discussion here WITHIN standard Forum guidelines of civility etc.  The content of those postings may be discussed here.  This thread, is after all about the book's content, and those reviews are focused on the content, as well as the Author's veracity, research and findings. They may be discussed.

Thank you

Rob
FA

Offline Tsarfan

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Miss the kings, but not the kingdoms
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 31, 2011, 10:29:55 AM »
Rob, I think you've perhaps forgotten that Kurth did provide considerable materials to King and Wilson at the outset of their project, at a time when he anticipated their research would bring them to the same conclusions he had made 25 years earlier.  My understanding is that Kurth declined to read the manuscripts of the near-completed work, which King and Wilson had offered to him as a courtesy since they were about to go public with conclusions that were at odds with the very public stake Kurth had put in the ground on Anderson's identity, both in his book and in later articles and web postings, even after the DNA evidence began to arrive.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
« Reply #342 on: January 31, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
If I could I would say to Mr. Kurth:  "Peter, I understand you were friends with Anna Anderson and want to stand by her, but facts are facts.  Science has provied beyond a shadow of a doubt that she was not Anastasia.  You got taken, it happens.  It's time for you to come out and admit that you were wrong."
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 31, 2011, 11:20:31 AM »
Rob, I think you've perhaps forgotten that Kurth did provide considerable materials to King and Wilson at the outset of their project, at a time when he anticipated their research would bring them to the same conclusions he had made 25 years earlier.  My understanding is that Kurth declined to read the manuscripts of the near-completed work, which King and Wilson had offered to him as a courtesy since they were about to go public with conclusions that were at odds with the very public stake Kurth had put in the ground on Anderson's identity, both in his book and in later articles and web postings, even after the DNA evidence began to arrive.

Tsarfan, I share completely your opinion. It's very convincing. Even me, believed that Penny's and Greg's results woulld reach the same point than Peter Kurth's. This was the reason I supposed they must have been payed off to get these results! (Yes; I know...It's a shame. But I didn't know what kind of results did they really got. By the moment, this is the absolute truth about AA's identity issue). I believed that what I supposed it was the case about Ernest of Hesse paying Gilliard, Penny and Greg must have been also payed to "switch possitions". Now, I clearly see it is not the case. But, since I can live with AA not being ANR, I swallowed the results of their research and ultimately, believed in what they're saying. No more dealing with a faked DNA or switched tissues, but with other great amount of objective evidence that shows that AA was indeed FS. I suppose that for Peter, it should be much harder than for me to accept the evidence of AA bieng an imposter. He REALLY believes in her claim.

Thanks for answering, Rob. That was nice from you ; I was not especting you would ever answer!

Now, back to the topic. We are here to discuss the book, after all, and not what people saids about it.

RealAnastasia.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #344 on: January 31, 2011, 11:44:27 AM »

Thank you Tsarfan. Yes, I had forgotten that early on Peter provided his material to K&W, but once their change of opinion about the outcome of the research happened, he no longer wanted to participate. I find the fact that he had every opportunity to read every draft of the manuscript, and comment a priori to publishing, and now comes out to trash the contents for "inaccuracies" after the fact to be, well, shameful.