Author Topic: "Resurrection of the Romanovs: Anastasia, Anna Anderson" by King And Wilson  (Read 148029 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: "Resurrection of the Romanovs: Anastasia, Anna Anderson" by King And Wilson
« Reply #360 on: February 01, 2011, 02:24:51 PM »
Yes, but does it have to be dragged back onto the Forum? Some of those posters were kicked off here for a reason--their poison spreads quickly and easily. Especially such things as the OH mess which most people don't know anything about.  :-\ :(  It'll probably be chalked up to the "AP Gang" and their evil cabal picking on them.

I don't disagree they're crazy over there--and was doing some googling on them myself--but we don't want to get too off-topic here.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 02:26:38 PM by grandduchessella »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #361 on: February 01, 2011, 02:33:55 PM »
Robert Crouch in his comments about the book cites the following (his proof being Anastasia, ie AA aka FS, told him so K&W must be wrong):

"Neither source cited actually cites any primary source as proof that Nicholas II had an actual tattoo made or at least not one that was large enough for anybody to recognize it. The procedure may have been practiced,but not completed. Anastasia may never have known about the tattoo because it was simply too faint or unrecognizable if it existed. If Nicholas II did have a small tattoo, he may have shared it with a fellow military man such as Felix Dassel before he would with his children. At any rate,
the point about Anastasia's recognition or lack of recognition of this possible fact is like much of King and Wilson's book heavily dependent on conjecture and the liberal use of the subjunctive mood. "

"If Nicholas II had a large dragon tattoo, then why didn't King and Wilson include a picture of Nicholas with his tattoo? They say it was on his right arm, yet it is not apparent in any of the photos I have observed in my career. Given that a tattoo is a sign of a person of low class origin, it is entirely possible that the Tsar hid its existence from his children, if, of course, he actually had anything that was intense enough to be called a real tattoo.
At any rate, King and Wilson consistently fail to include examples of primary source material that would prove some of their so-called "innovative research". "

""Well, why were the pictures not used in the book? Even primary sources such as newspaper accounts can be and often are altered by reporters to make the event
more readable or interesting to the reader. I know this to be a fact based on personal experience. As for a clear understanding of the differences between primary, secondary, and tertiary sources and how they may be corrupted or misintinterpreted by researchers, I refer you to "The Modern Researcher" by Barzun & Graf. " (And that's a misinterpretation of the book which I needed for my degree)

"I think that you are missing the point that save for a handful of poorly backed points, King and Wilson are simply repeating the same tired old story from the 1920's about Schankowska. If Baron Berenberg-Goslar was such a good lawyer, then why did he not demolish Anastasia's claim with all the evidence that he had? The explanation that they give make him look like the world's most incompetent dime-store lawyer. Remember, he was the one who organized the Darmstadt archive at about age 90. BTW: I met Botkin when I was very young. "

It is like bizarro world--though RC doesn't seem nearly as poisonous as the others, just someone unable to let go of the fact that everything he knows is wrong because the person who told him those things was lying. I have a good deal of sympathy because, having looked him up somewhat, I see that he was very good friends with the Manahans (and is quoted a good bit in James Blair Lowell's book) in their later years. He sees AA in a very human way--she's not just a historical figure or an object of mockery or someone to be debated. She was his friend and it must be hard to look at things with an unbiased eye in such a case.

Of course, he will be coming out with his own book: "Well, it is refreshing to know then that you will value my memoirs of Anastasia when I have them published in the near future. I knew her and Jack Manahan very well and I can tell you categorically that the whole story has never been told. I had a certain amount of access that outsiders did not. "
"First, Yes, it will address the issue of the DNA tests in all seriousness. Second, it will address who Jack Manahan really was and not the comic book version presented
by Frances Welsh and repeated by King and Wilson. Third, it will will reveal details that were kept from both biographers Kurth and Lovell. Details that would have adversely affected persons living at that time. Fourth, I would not call it a thriller, but rather, a memoir and a tribute to some very good people who were my friends over the years. "
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 03:41:40 PM by grandduchessella »

Offline Tsarfan

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Miss the kings, but not the kingdoms
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 01, 2011, 02:35:16 PM »
I don't disagree they're crazy over there--and was doing some googling on them myself--but we don't want to get too off-topic here.

Agreed.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #363 on: February 01, 2011, 02:38:56 PM »
So as to the points by RC, HIS primary sources can't be considered truthful because AA wasn't AN but K&W's sources are flawed because they were from the Hesse archives and such logic.

I do anticipate getting the book even more now if only to look at the acknowledgment sections.

And a big (somewhat off-topic) thank you to Penny & Greg and their publisher who made the book available on Kindle! It is so difficult to get royal books that way.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 02:41:57 PM by grandduchessella »

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
« Reply #364 on: February 01, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
Amazon needs to screen it's posters more carefully.
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline Suzanne

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • Carolyn Harris Royal Historian
« Reply #365 on: February 01, 2011, 04:49:19 PM »
I am looking forward to reading this book - in fact I am dropping hints to my fiance that it would be a welcome Valentine's Day present!

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 01, 2011, 07:51:58 PM »
Believe me, you'll enjoy it.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #367 on: February 01, 2011, 09:09:27 PM »
Amazon needs to screen it's posters more carefully.

The title of LittleNell's review has now been changed to: Skip my review, go to the comments instead. They'll blow you away!

Nothing like pulling attention away from the BOOK to yourself.

Lisa Davidson wrote a very good REVIEW (not a diatribe) on the book. Still waiting for our copy to arrive at the library. I may be reduced to a Kindle copy soon!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 09:59:39 PM by grandduchessella »

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 01, 2011, 10:47:02 PM »
If you have read your way through the comments on Amazon.com, then I assume you are aware that part of the attack is directed not at King and Wilson, but at this forum and its members. And if you have read the book, I would encourage you to go and make your views known by either posting a review, as I did, or commenting on those reviews that are demonstrably erroneous. King and Wilson consulted far more than the Hessian archives, for example, and that point needs to be made as often as possible. What the comments and negative reviews attempt to do is destroy their credibility as historians. No evidence is offered, just baldly untrue statements (the Hessian archives, etc.) and mysterious promises of great revelations to come. So in essence we are dealing with character assassination. At least one of the posters has not read the book at all.

This topic  (Anna Anderson = Anastasia Nicholaevna) obviously inflames people, but an academic discussion isn't based upon personalities, rather, marshaled facts. Tsarfan has been withering with his logic and truly formidable grasp of the evidence, and since they cannot impeach him on his arguments, several posters are going after him personally. I think it would be a good idea if members of the forum demonstrated a little solidarity.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 11:03:17 PM by Louis_Charles »
"Simon --- Classy AND Compassionate!"

"The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, so take snacks and a magazine."

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 01, 2011, 11:01:44 PM »
I do not know exactly when I'll have "Resurrection of the Romanovs".To purchase a foreign book is very expensive here, for you'll be paying it four or five times its real cost. We had had a devaluation in our money. But I manage to buy it, anyway. I've read FOTR and now I think it will be a great complement. In Argentina, the only translated books of Greg are "Yussupov; the man who killed Rasputin", and "The Last Empress"...and of course, I have both of them, as well as FOTR. I appreciated them so much, that I read and re-read them every six months at least!  ;D

Back to the topic: I think that the only way to deny what Penny and Greg exposes in this book , is to show different and CREDIBLE documents to answer their question in a different way they did. They quotes their sources, so you are able to go to Europe, search in the archives and find just the same they did. If some people   wants to write a story showing that AA was not FS, they must to find also CREDIBLE and TRUE documents who said different things than the ones Penny and Greg saids in their book. I suppose it will not be easy. If those people achieves it, I'm ready to believe them. They know that I'm saying the truth. If the only thing they do is to show theories without proof...they will not believable as much as they shouts out that Penny and Greg are lying.

RealAnastasia.

Alixz

« Reply #370 on: February 02, 2011, 09:41:37 AM »
I just went to Amazon to read some of what was posted about the book.

I makes my head swim!  I thought that we were all supposed to be adults and that we had left the kindergarten sandbox behind us a number of years ago.

I had to stop reading because I don't think there is enough time in my life to go through all of the reviews and the comments on those reviews.

I think Resurrection of the Romanovs stands on its own.  Just as I thought that Fate of the Romanovs also stood on its own.

I am surprised that Amazon is letting this "comment/review" argument go on.

I personally liked the review by Stephen Wroblewski:

It was to be expected, I suppose. Someone writes a book (and a very well-researched one, at that) sounding the morning alarm for the dreamers to wake up and put their visions of hair-raising escapes, lost princesses, and wicked aunts behind them for a long day as an adult.

But what happens? The dreamers knock the clock off the nightstand, turn back over, and re-enter darker dreams now haunted by evil DNA strands, diabolical photoshoppers wielding images of tattoos, and . . . now making the dream a true nightmare . . . turncoat authors.

(Sorry, folks. You have to read the comments under the negative reviews to get all of the above. But it might be worth it.)

With this book, the Anna Anderson case has been snatched from the hands of dreamers and turned over to historians. And it's about time.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 02, 2011, 11:10:40 AM »
I am surprised that Amazon is letting this "comment/review" argument go on

I agree.  A lot of these are not so much reviews as Flat Earthers throwing a tantrum because they can't handle that their cause has been debunked by science.  In the words of the immortal William Shatner, these people need to "get a life!"

All quiet on the Canadian Amazon site.  My review is still the only one there.

Offline Suzanne

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • Carolyn Harris Royal Historian
« Reply #372 on: February 02, 2011, 06:05:18 PM »
I've noticed the book hasn't been heavily publicized in Canada - my local Chapters and independent bookstores don't have it in stock, which may be why the amazon.ca page is so quiet!

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #373 on: February 02, 2011, 06:37:59 PM »
Amazon.uk is also mostly quiet--and mostly positive reviews. The only 1 star comes from someone who posted a 1 star on Amazon.com. Should that be allowed? Either you bought the book in the US or the UK.

They drag the whole 'who is the rightful heir' into the review as well. Seriously?

"I also want to point out that in this book the authors state that Grand Duke Cyril was the rightful heir to the throne and that was not accepted by the Doweger Empress and many members of the family when he proclaimed himself so but even if he was his son Wladimir lost that right when he married Leonidas Bagration who was a divorced woman and not considered of equal rank as the Georgian Royal family had become feudal to the Tsars... and then of course their daughter Maria married Prince Franz Wilhem of Prussia and according to the Pauline laws became a Prussian Princess. Their son thus has no right whatsoever to be styled Grand Duke of Russia as he is Prince George of Prussia. If this claim by the authors is not a manipulation then please let me know what is? "

I'm not one for censorship but one of those reviews should have to go. Where post next--Amazon.de? You should post (and a real review at that) in the country you live in and this poster, based on their profile, lives in NY.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 02, 2011, 08:03:21 PM »
my local Chapters and independent bookstores don't have it in stock, which may be why the amazon.ca page is so quiet!

Well, I got mine through Chapters.  Although I  didn't buy it in the store, I ordered it through their Kiosk service.