Author Topic: Prince Ludwig & Margaret Geddes  (Read 84577 times)

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
Re: Prince Ludwig & Margaret Geddes
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2004, 04:02:40 AM »
For I did never have the honor to know her I'd like to know what kind of person she was in your opinion, how she appeared and how you experienced your meeting(s)I corresponded with Pss Margaret for some years in connection with my book, and I was a guest at Wolfsgarten for lunch the day after Prince Harry was born.  We wet his head.   The Princess opened her archives to me, and gave me a tour of the house.  She also made it possible for me to go into the Mausoleum, and put me in touch with other family members as well (or rather put in good words about me.)  I met her again in 1989 when she was in NYC for Prince Henry of Hesse (Enrico d'Assia's) first art exhibition in NYC in 25 years ... a real surprise to see her there .. took photographs of the different royal guests ... inc. Margaret

You are very lucky to have had the privilege of knowing her Marlene.
It must have been truly devastating for Margaret and Ludwig to lose Pcss Johanna in that fashion.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Martyn »
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2004, 10:24:41 AM »
thanks Martyn,  Yes,  Ludwig and Margaret were devastated by Johanna's death, especially as they were unable to have children of their own.
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2004, 04:12:35 PM »
To have known so much sadness in so few years; they must both have been such strong people to have dealt with it all and made something good of their lives.
To have their wedding, which should have been one of the happiest moments of their lives, overshadowed by such tragedy is quite enough,  To then lose the little girl who had been entrusted to them and whose parents' role they so readily and willingly assumed, must have been a terrible burden for them to bear.  How truly sad.

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2004, 04:36:06 PM »
My thoughts exactly, Martyn. A joyous wedding turned into a time of tragedy; the surviving child, entrusted to them, dies; and they remain childless.  I have been haunted by this situation since the time I first read about it and long to hear that this couple's marriage was a strong union and that their original bond was strengthened by all the sadness they endured.

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2004, 05:02:58 PM »
My thoughts exactly, Martyn. A joyous wedding turned into a time of tragedy; the surviving child, entrusted to them, dies; and they remain childless.  I have been haunted by this situation since the time I first read about it and long to hear that this couple's marriage was a strong union and that their original bond was strengthened by all the sadness they endured.

After all this, they could not have children of their own either.  They must have had immense inner strength; I don't know that I could bear such sorrow.  Like you Janet, I have always felt that this was such a terrrible family tragedy and that those who had the most to bear were Margaret and Ludwig; how I feel for them.

Offline MarquisAnthony

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2004, 02:53:49 PM »
Is this Princess Margaret the original Margaret Geddes?
Marquis Anthony Green

New York City

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2004, 03:05:21 PM »
Is this Princess Margaret the original Margaret Geddes?

Yes it is. I would imagine that a tragedy like what took place before their wedding must've really bonded Margaret and Louis together. Testament to their character as it, combined with childlessness, could've provoked just the opposite.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

bluetoria

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2005, 05:06:43 PM »
What a wonderful photo, Thomas! Do you not think that there is something in the faces of the royalties of that generation that displays such regality? Perhaps it is a strength of spirit which shines through; as though, perhaps, the suffering which they have endured selflessly, makes them more appreciative of joy....

Hmm...thanks for posting it!  :)

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2005, 08:00:14 PM »
What a wonderful photo, Thomas! Do you not think that there is something in the faces of the royalties of that generation that displays such regality? Perhaps it is a strength of spirit which shines through; as though, perhaps, the suffering which they have endured selflessly, makes them more appreciative of joy....

Hmm...thanks for posting it!  :)

Pss Margaret was a classy lady, and much loved by her family.  I had the pleasure of meeting her several times, and being a guest for lunch at Wolfsgarten, as well.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2005, 05:22:40 AM »
She was also a guest at dinner party held in honour of Queen Elisabeth II visiting Germany few decades ago...

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2005, 08:20:28 AM »
She was also a guest at dinner party held in honour of Queen Elisabeth II visiting Germany few decades ago...

She often visited the queen and other British relatives, and was especially  close to the Prince of Wales.

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2005, 10:12:37 AM »
I have recently seen a nice photo showing Princess Diana and Prince Charles of Wales visiting Wolfsgarten shortly after their engagement. It seems so unreal that they should have stayed here - so near to us as one normally saw them just in TV or yellowpress.
Prince Charles says that he has known Wolfsgarten and its owners since he is able to think. He loved his Godfather and "Aunt Peg" and when she died her and the Duke of Edinburgh came to attend her funeral.
I wonder whether the connections are still that close - though I cannot imaginge...

There are several window panes at Wolfsgarten in which some royal and non-royal guests have scratched their names in with a diamond (Nicholas and Alexandra were the first ones to do it in 1896).
How I'd wish to be able to see the interior of the mainbuilding one day...

Thomas,  I think the visit of the Prince and Princess of Wales to Darmstadt was in 1984, three years after their marriage.  They were guests at the birthday party for PRincess Georg Wihelm of Hannover (Princess Sophie, Philip's sister.)  The birthday party was held at Kronberg, and the press barely caught wind of it, actually.  Charles and Diana were able to go to Germany and attend this party without the media catching on until months later.  I stayed with the Langenburgs in September and saw pictures from the party, and when I got to Wolfsgarten, Pss Margaret gave me a copy of the official photo with all the guests - the photo was taken on the steps at Kronberg.  

I used the photo in my book with Princess Sophie's permission.

I've seen the "diamond" window.  The nursery also has a height chart for the children with their names written on the wall ...

Offline Prince_Christopher

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2005, 10:42:20 AM »
Could someone provide a little background on Princess Margaret.  I know she was born Margaret Geddes.  Who were her parents and how did she meet her husband?
Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2005, 10:48:52 AM »
Could someone provide a little background on Princess Margaret.  I know she was born Margaret Geddes.  Who were her parents and how did she meet her husband?

She was born the Hon. Margaret Geddes, as her father was Lord Geddes (a diplomat, who was based at the British embassy in DC in the 30s)  ... Margaret and Ludwig met while skiing.

Offline rita

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2005, 04:50:38 PM »
Her father was diplomat 1920 -1924. Before this time he was professor for anatomie in Edingburgh, 1909 Royal Call of Surgeons, Ireland, 1913 University Montreal, 1917 - 1920 minister of National Service. 1906 he married Isabella Gamble Ross daughter of Willam A.R. of Staten Island NY. Margret was the 3. child. She had two elder and two younger brothers.
aus: Notizen zur Ortsgeschichte Band 8,S.37