The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
July 22, 2014, 06:25:22 PM
460737 Posts in 8927 Topics by 14541 Members
Latest Member: lunasolem
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about Russian History
| |-+  Rasputin (Moderators: LisaDavidson, BobAtchison, Forum Admin)
| | |-+  Was Rasputin good or evil?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author
Topic: Was Rasputin good or evil?  (Read 9034 times)
« on: August 21, 2010, 03:08:53 AM »
buckley Offline

View Profile

Was Rasputin good or evil? some people call Rasputin evil to the very bone I agree, ( I'll keep my reasons silent until I can prove my reasons to be true) or is there something I'm missing. I am doing allot of research and getting no where, I've came across the same information over and over things that I already know.
I am posting this forum so I can further my research.     

Laws are silent in time of war./ A good citizen owes his life to his country./
Cry and the whole world cries with you.
Reply #1
« on: August 21, 2010, 10:17:20 AM »
nena Offline
Velikye Knyaz
One day more without you..... Posts: 2799

View Profile

Your answer depends on who you are asking. To his daughters, I believe that he was a good man in their eyes. What must have Alexei thought on him, I wonder...?

(Thanks to Emily!)
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥
Reply #2
« on: August 21, 2010, 04:39:36 PM »
Grace Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

You won't find more information on Rasputin, his life and his deeds than you will on this site.  Have you read and studied the various threads on him to help you in your research or are you just hoping people will post with the opinion "good" or "evil"?  I think it's a bit odd that the information is here but you seem to be asking others to form your opinion for you?  That is something only you yourself eventually can do, I think! 
Reply #3
« on: August 21, 2010, 11:42:25 PM »
buckley Offline

View Profile

Yes I am studying the various threads on him but there is not much said about crimes he committed. Did he use the royal family to gain power for him self?
That information is rare to find and websites only contain so much. I need to compare opinions. What I mean by (Did he use the royal family to gain power for him self?) are the rumors true and did he what to bring imperial Russia to an end.
and this web site is a great place for information on imperial Russia but I need more than just websites.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 11:44:26 PM by buckley » Logged

Reply #4
« on: August 31, 2010, 11:46:02 PM »
buckley Offline

View Profile

O.k. I know what I write is a waste of time but what would of happen if Rasputin did not die.

Reply #5
« on: September 01, 2010, 01:55:55 AM »
Kalafrana Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

I would not call Rasputin evil, but I do think he took full advantage of the position he found himself in, and that it was not surprising that many people came to regard him as a national menace.

Ann
Reply #6
« on: May 29, 2011, 07:06:53 AM »
delincolon Offline

View Profile

If you read my book, "Rasputin and The Jews", you will see the case made for Rasputin as a humanitarian, and it won't be like anything you've read before.
Reply #7
« on: May 29, 2011, 06:35:53 PM »
historyfan Offline
Knyaz

View Profile

Read the thread on this book:

http://forum.alexanderpalace.org/index.php?topic=10647.0

It's a great book that may answer some of your questions.
Reply #8
« on: May 30, 2011, 08:08:58 AM »
Vecchiolarry Offline
Knyaz

View Profile

Hi,

In so far as he alleviated Alexei's pain and troubles, I would judge him a good influence.  However he accomplished this, we will never know, but Alexandra and Alexei would deem him a saviour....

The poster who called him a menace was spot on - evil he probably was not, but he did stir the pot - to the ultimate disadvantage to the Romanovs...

Larry
Reply #9
« on: May 31, 2011, 09:01:12 AM »
Alixz

I don't think that Rasputin was inherently evil.  I think that he just took what was offered.

As each section of society began to recognize him, he just let them.  I don't think he went to St. Petersburg to become attached to the Imperial Family.  That, too, just sort of happened.

If I were to use an old phrase from the 1960s, I would say that he would "go with the flow".

If opportunity was offered and it appealed to him, he took it.  It has been said that he kept none of the money nor many of the gifts that he was given.  He would just as likely take a gift and then give it to the next person who came through the door.  That is what made him seem "holy".  His lack of pretension.

I think most of the time he dealt honestly with the Imperial Family and the Empress.  I also believe that his taste for the baser enjoyments of life such as wine, women and song were too hard for him to hide.  He was lucky that Alexandra already had preconceived notions of how a "peasant" or "holy starets" should act and looked no further.  She refused to believe what was said about him because she didn't like the people who said it.

He did have some kind of ability to "help" Alexei.  I don't know if the end result justified the means.  But obviously Alexandra was willing to take his "help" and over look the problems associated with receiving his help.

People always ask, "If you had a child with an incurable illness, wouldn't you go to any extreme to try to help him or find a cure?"  I think I would go to extremes, but I don't think I would turn a blind eye to the information being collected by reputable sources and continue to have that person in my home as Alexandra did.

Here is an out of this world example.  If Charles Manson told you that he had a cure for your child but reputable sources told you that he was running a cult and indoctrinating young people into it with absolutely no worldly good coming from this cult except that Manson had a great "s*x" life, and could get a lot of drugs (which he would be willing to share with his followers) would you want him in your home?  Would you let your daughters near him?  Would you allow him access to the nursery?

That is pretty much what Rasputin did.  He had his cult followers and a great "s*x" life.  He lived freely without working for what he needed because everyone was only too willing to give it to him.  If he wanted food or wine or drugs, he could get them and freely share them but he was most interested in "sharing himself" with them.  Just as Manson did.

In our world, Rasputin would have been the kind of person who "falls into a pile of s**t and comes up covered with diamonds".

But in the end, his baser appetites are what led to his death and also his own conviction, by the end of 1916, that Nicholas and Alexandra would protect him as they had been doing for a very long time.

A man with some good sense as in his advice to Nicholas not to go into World War I, but a humanitarian - I don't see it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:04:02 AM by Alixz » Logged
Reply #10
« on: July 05, 2011, 01:50:59 PM »
clockworkgirl21 Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

I'm having a difficult time forming an opinion on Rasputin. On one hand, he helped the poor and wanted to help people with their faith. On the other hand, he was accused of attempted rape a few times. If that's true, helping 1000 poor people doesn't excuse trying to rape someone. He was a drunk, but we understand now alcoholism is a disease that can be difficult to overcome. He had a crazy sex life, but in my opinion, nothing is wrong with lots of sex as long as everyone consents.

No one is 100% good, and very few people are 100% evil, but I can't decide if Rasputin should be classified as no worse than any other person, or a bad human being.

Reply #11
« on: July 06, 2011, 02:43:05 AM »
rudy3 Offline
Boyar

View Profile

"he was accused of attempted rape a few times".

I am curious to know about those accusations. I have read a lot about Rasputin, but never about any accusations of attempted rape, not even one time....
Reply #12
« on: July 06, 2011, 06:02:23 AM »
Kalafrana Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Did Rasputin actually 'help the poor'? I may be mistaken, but those he associated with in St Petersburg were at least comfortably off.

Ann
Reply #13
« on: July 06, 2011, 06:13:45 AM »
Alixz

"he was accused of attempted rape a few times".

I am curious to know about those accusations. I have read a lot about Rasputin, but never about any accusations of attempted rape, not even one time....

I believe there was a nursery maid named Tiecheva (sp?) who was dismissed because she claimed that Rasputin had tried to rape her.  I am not sure, but wasn't there another (or perhaps the same woman) who accompanied Rasputin and Anna Vyrubova on the train to Rasputin's home who also claimed to have been the victim of sexual assault?

I need to look this up.

But it is true that Rasputin had no need to rape.  Women simply gave themselves to him without much trouble on his part.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 06:15:55 AM by Alixz » Logged
Reply #14
« on: July 06, 2011, 01:44:38 PM »
clockworkgirl21 Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

I read about the supposed attempted rape in Massie's "Nicholas and Alexandra".

Page 334: Many an attractive visitor, thinking she could win his help with words and smiles, rushed suddenly out of his apartment, weeping or trembling with rage. Helped down the stairs, she went off to the police station to complain that Rasputin had tried to rape her.

It might be necessary to point out that rapists don't tend to rape because they're sexually attracted to the victim. They do it to feel power over the person they're violating.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: