Author Topic: Anne of a Thousand Days--question  (Read 5693 times)

Offline MademoiselleAndrea

• Knyaz
  • Take me as you find me, all my fears and failures.
    • View Profile
    • Past A La Mode: A Presentation and Celebration of Historical Fashion
Anne of a Thousand Days--question
« on: September 29, 2010, 01:49:54 PM »
I have a question about Anne of a Thousand Days, 1960s film about Anne Boleyn.
I know that in the 1960s, PG-13 rating did not exist, so this movie was rated PG. But would it have been rated PG-13 had that rating existed back then? I mean, do they, by some special effect, show the chop-chop, you know? or any intimate scenes with Henry and Anne or any of H's mistresses? 
Any help would be apreciated! Thanks!  :)
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me". --Erma Bombeck

Offline azrael7171918

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Anne of a Thousand Days--question
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 04:52:02 AM »
They did show Henry and Anne in bed together.  In fact they had to wait till the late 60s to make the film because of the subject matter. Divorce pregnancy before marriage were unacceptable subjects earlier in film. The play had been written and on the stage in the late 40s.

Most of the historical films that came out at that time were M then PG because of sexual content even if you saw just two people in bed with naked arms exposed it got a PG.

At the time most movies that got R ratings today would be PG-13 or PG.

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 02:00:32 AM »
The actual beheading isn't shown but the final moments of Anne's life are particularly poignant. She is shown kneeling in the straw, very pale and with huge terrified eyes. Genevieve Bujold looks absolutely beautiful here. You hear the swoop of the sword and the camera pans away later just showing some bloody straw and the arrow box which served as the coffin.
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline Elisabeth

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 09:41:14 AM »
Genevieve Bujold was perfect casting for Anne Boleyn, don't you think? Nobody else before or since has quite measured up in this role. Dorothy Tutin was very moving in the BBC's The Six Wives of Henry VIII but too old for the part; Natalie Dormer in Showtime's The Tudors was the right age and very sexy (and like Boleyn, and like Bujold and Tutin, definitely brunette) but lacked the refinement and elegance of the historical Queen Anne. Bujold somehow managed to combine all these traits, as well as the important quality of vulnerability.

I couldn't stand Richard Burton as Henry VIII, however. That beautiful voice... but he looked nothing like Henry VIII (any more than Jonathan Rhys Meyers looks like Henry Tudor!). The only adequate Henry VIII has been Keith Michell in the BBC's 1970s series Six Wives. As Michell portrayed him, the young Henry was sexy (as I'm sure the young HVIII was in spades) as well as vaguely sociopathic. He was not, in other words, completely sympathetic all or even most of the time. Whereas every other production has wound up making Henry look somehow misunderstood by everybody, especially his "bad" "inadequate" wives, who, with the sole exception of Jane Seymour, "failed" to give him a living, breathing male heir. Such is the power of the stereotype of the "powerful male ruler" and the "good royal wife."

... I love my poor earth
because I have seen no other

-- Osip Mandelshtam

Offline Silja

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 02:01:59 PM »
Genevieve Bujold was perfect casting for Anne Boleyn, don't you think? Nobody else before or since has quite measured up in this role. Dorothy Tutin was very moving in the BBC's The Six Wives of Henry VIII but too old for the part; Natalie Dormer in Showtime's The Tudors was the right age and very sexy (and like Boleyn, and like Bujold and Tutin, definitely brunette) but lacked the refinement and elegance of the historical Queen Anne. Bujold somehow managed to combine all these traits, as well as the important quality of vulnerability.

I couldn't stand Richard Burton as Henry VIII, however. That beautiful voice... but he looked nothing like Henry VIII (any more than Jonathan Rhys Meyers looks like Henry Tudor!). The only adequate Henry VIII has been Keith Michell in the BBC's 1970s series Six Wives. As Michell portrayed him, the young Henry was sexy (as I'm sure the young HVIII was in spades) as well as vaguely sociopathic. He was not, in other words, completely sympathetic all or even most of the time. Whereas every other production has wound up making Henry look somehow misunderstood by everybody, especially his "bad" "inadequate" wives, who, with the sole exception of Jane Seymour, "failed" to give him a living, breathing male heir. Such is the power of the stereotype of the "powerful male ruler" and the "good royal wife."

I find Genevieve Bujold slightly too sweet in the part.

My personal ranking of  major screen Anne Boleyns is:

1. Natalie Dormer
2. Dorothy Tutin
3. Charlotte Rampling
4. Genevieve Bujold
5. Helena Bonham Carter
6. Jodhi May
7. Natalie Portman
8. Henny Porten

As for Henry, apart from Keith Michell I just love Robert Shaw.

Offline MademoiselleAndrea

• Knyaz
  • Take me as you find me, all my fears and failures.
    • View Profile
    • Past A La Mode: A Presentation and Celebration of Historical Fashion
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 02:52:11 PM »
Oh, yes, goodness me, Johnathan Rys Meyers does not look a bit like Henry! Call the casting police!  :P ::)
Thanks for your help.. :) I'll be seeing it soon, and I'll give my opinion then... ;)
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me". --Erma Bombeck

Offline TroubleTwin2

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 07:04:22 PM »
Well when they were casting for the Tudors they knew JRM didn't look like Henry, that wasn't the point though they weren't looking for someone who actually looked like Henry. They just wanted younger viewers to take an interest in it. Just thought I'd point that out. :)

Offline boleynfan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
Anne of the Thousand Days might actually have made a PG rating.  No foul language, no sex, and only the Smeaton scene of torture. 

And I agree Genevieve Bujold was the best Anne by far.