Author Topic: Alfonso de Orleans, Infante of Spain and Beatrice of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha  (Read 64109 times)

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
Re: Alfonso de Orleans, Infante of Spain and Beatrice of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha
« Reply #135 on: November 27, 2010, 01:43:41 PM »
I am NOT aware of there being two Alexandra Feodorovnas?

Wow...Eric...now you know what I know?

The second Alexandra Feodorovna was baptized Alix...that is not her nickname...it is HER NAME...Alicky is her nickname as you well know.

So what is so difficult about readers not knowing who is it that one is talking about when one refers to "Alexandra Feodorovna, wife of Nicholas I, and Alexandra Feodorovna, née Alix of Hesse, wife of Nicholas II. Alexandra Feodorovna was the mother of several children, among them four boys: Alexander II, Konstantin, Nicholas and Michael. In comparison, Alix, the last Tsarina, was te mother four girls before the long-awaited heir made his fateful arrival in 1904."  

Is this not better than saying Alicky and Nicky had OTMA and Alexei, while the other Nicky and Alex had Alex, Kostya, Nicky Jr and Misha?

Missy, Bee, Sandra, Ducky, Ena, Vicky, Minnie, Alix, Alicky, Nicky, Kostya, Misha, Miche-Miche, Wooly et al...are nicknames that one ought to refrain from using – they are personal forms of address that denote familiarity...none of us knew these people and we owe them a modicum of respect, at the very least.

Arturo Beéche
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 12:53:31 AM by Eurohistory »
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 27, 2010, 05:20:53 PM »
Cool it Arturo ! They are all dead for a start. Third some of the royals of off the thrones.

Offline Mandie, the Gothic Empress

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Olga.Tatiana.Maria.Anastasia + Alexei
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #137 on: November 27, 2010, 05:21:59 PM »
I  agree Artie
yes, there dead,  but there is a thing call respect for the dead.

down to the bottom line, everyone relax!

personally i too call them by nicknames sometimes, just because writing out there titles can be a pain in the butt...however i don't feel right by doing so. 

so can we go back to the Prince Alfonso and Princess Beatrice de Orleans y Borbón?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 05:27:47 PM by Mandie, the Gothic Empress »

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2010, 11:16:28 AM »
No idea. Yes even royal authors sometimes talk about their subjects like living beings. I do agree that they should be given the title in an eassy or published work. We are just chatting here. Talking about respecting the dead, I remember reading a story that is very interesting. It was around the time that Edward VII died and Kaiser Wilhelm II was visting his royal relatives as usual, noting the sad faces and mourning he announced that he did not know why everyone was so sad & glum "just because that old rooster died !"  ;)

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #139 on: March 10, 2016, 11:00:44 AM »
Portrait of Beatrice and her eldesr sister Alexandra

From royal collection