Author Topic: About that hair-style....  (Read 31364 times)

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Re: About that hair-style....
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2005, 08:33:44 PM »
It sure doesn't look like Anastasia's wearing ar rat, does it? Odd, because I just read somewhere in the last two weeks that compared to her sisters, Anastasia had rather straight hair which tended to lay flat against her head. (Danged if I can remember which book said that, though...)

If anyone wants to know exactly what a 'rat' looks like and how it works, rent yourself a copy of The Bells of St. Mary's, starring Bing Crosby and Ingrid Bergman. There's a scene near the beginning where Bing Crosby [Father O'Malley] pulls a rat out of Joan Carroll's [Patsy's] hair.
8)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sarahelizabethii »
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2005, 08:53:12 PM »
Maybe she's wearing a smaller rat, because her hair looks a teeny bit poofed...

Oh if anyone is lost and doesn't have access to the book, basically a rat is kind of a stuffing (I just wore one in Pygmalion- it was half a pair of tights stuffed with cotton balls for me) that goes under the hair.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2005, 10:18:06 AM »

Thank you! I started to read this board thinking : "What the HELL are bangs?" I live in England and we have ALWAYS called fringes fringes!!!!

;D

That is very interesting. Anything English always does fascinate me, and I have English Ancestry.

Anastasia_R

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2005, 06:35:35 PM »
Maybe she's wearing a smaller rat, because her hair looks a teeny bit poofed...

Oh if anyone is lost and doesn't have access to the book, basically a rat is kind of a stuffing (I just wore one in Pygmalion- it was half a pair of tights stuffed with cotton balls for me) that goes under the hair.

I was wondering what a rat was(besides an animal that is ;)).Thanks!
How'd Pygmalion go?

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2005, 06:50:48 PM »
(Anastasia_R, it went well. :) Thanks!)

So does anybody know what a widow's peak is?

ferngully

« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2005, 02:26:20 AM »
i've heard of one, not sure what it is, something to do with the hairline i'm thinking
selina             xxxxxxx

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2005, 08:05:22 AM »
Thanks.

I just got the photos from Pygmalion, with the rat in. Since the quality isn't good enough for me to take a picture of the pictures, I might have to go to a place that can digitalize it for me. Did someone say somewhere that Staples will do it for a relatively low price or is it a different place?

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2005, 11:11:07 AM »
I always wondered why their hair looked like that; now I know. ;)

ferngully

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2005, 04:10:14 AM »
found a defination-' A V-shaped point formed by the hair near the top of the human forehead. From the superstition that it is a sign of early widowhood.'
selina                       xxxxxxxxx
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by ferngully »

Offline Russian_Duchess_#5

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2005, 07:16:03 AM »
Now that I think about it, I do think that it is called a Widow's Nest. you can see that hairline in horror movies on ALOT of vampires.  :P

Sofi ;)

leushino

« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2005, 11:01:33 AM »
Here is a pic with Maria and Anastasia mucking around.  You can see a a scare on her forehead. It's not deep but it's there.

I don't see any scar in that picture. All I see is a slight shadow which could be a crease in the forehead that many have depending upon their facial expressions OR the shadowing caused by poor lighting when the photograph was taken OR the poor quality of photography in its early days. I think we're grasping at straws here.

She had bangs because she probably wanted to wear her hair that way... period. I brush my hair the way I want to brush it. I change it from time to time and I'm sure that had Anastasia lived longer she would have adopted another hair-style.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2010, 06:31:30 AM »
'Widow's peak' in English English tends to be used of men. If nothing else, it tends to show more on men because of short hair and disinclination to fringes (or bangs) after the age of ten or so. It can be a simple matter of where the hair grows, and doesn't grow, throughout life, but can also result from going partly bald at the front. Paul Alexandrovich had a very noticeable widow's peak in later life.

I too was thoroughly confused by 'bangs' - I had vague ideas of something puffed up at the sides!

Ann