Author Topic: Princess Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse, Part III  (Read 105566 times)

Offline violetta

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Princess Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse, Part III
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2010, 05:39:19 PM »

I`ve underlined a few lines testifying how progressive she was in her thinking. I think it`s important and still valid nowadays here , in Poland, where Catholic church tries to interfere with people`s lives or even private lives. Alice shows very clearly that medical issues and religion are to be separated. Now in Poland politicians  discuss  the law on in vitro, i.e. extracorpoal insemination. Catholic church strongly opposes extracorporal insemination on the grounds that it`s murder(!), that a child should be a result of love-making of his/her children, an act of God  and a lot of similar nonsense. Church denies Polish citizens their basic human rights i.e. to have children, to choose whether to adopt a child or undergo extracorpoal insemination or undego  any other treatment. Chuch officials even threaten that parents of such children won`t be able to recieve communion(!!!). Some priests declare that children who were conceived in a laboratory are "worse" or inferior" So when I read about Alice`s attitude towards medical issues I thought that she was much more ahead of some of our contemporaries.

Princess Christian about Alice`s activities in 1866

Princess Alice attended some very interesting lectures on the necessity of providing special asylums for poor idiots, delivered by a very clever and enter- prising " orthodox " clergyman from the Odenwald. She took up the idea most warmly, and determined to found such an institution herself, but in doing this found herself face to face with very serious difficul- ties. The lecturer and those who sided with him wished that any institution of this kind should bear a strictly religious stamp. The Princess did not agree in this view. She wished to separate the religious from the practical part of the work. She wished people to feel, that they were bound to help to alleviate sickness and suffering (in whatever form) out of mere love to their fellow-creatures, and not only as the fulfilment of a religious duty. While the Princess always acknowledged the value of re- ligious motives in carrying out works of charity, she felt strongly, in this particular case, that the treatment of idiots should be left to the medical profession, without any foreign interference. A committee was formed of persons who shared the Princess' views, and who were commissioned by her to take the necessary steps for carrying out her plans. By far the most difficult part of the work fell to her own share namely, that of finding the necessary funds. To obtain these she organized a Bazaar in her new palace. This was a totally novel pro- ceeding in Germany, and well calculated to attract a large number of visitors. The Bazaar was opened on the 6th of April, and lasted four days. The Princess and Prince Louis and her brother, Prince Alfred, took an active part in it. The result surpassed utmost expectations, a success mainly due to her own personal efforts, and to the charm which she exercised over all. At the close of the Bazaar she was not only able to announce that she had realized the sum of 1 6,000 florins, but that she had also gained the conviction that the whole country supported her in her undertaking. In spite of the success of this Bazaar, the Princess was in later years opposed to a repetition of such an expedient, as she felt what many do that people
often come on such occasions for their own personal amusement rather than to aid the charity.

And also she felt that for some people attending a charity bazaar was a sort of entertainment. Isn`t it true nowadays?

Offline violetta

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2010, 06:16:35 PM »
Princess Christian summarized Alice`s activities in 1867 i.e. her efforts to organize nurse training. And again one can see that she clearly separates medical training and medical services fro religion. It`s hard to imagine for me now, living in Catholic Poland but in the 21st century, that a woman can see it very clearly that church and its priests have to carry out their religious duties and that`s what they are supposed to do. Everyday life,including medical services, and church have to be separated. and alice instinctively knew this.

The Princess was deeply interested in this question indeed, her whole attention had been directed to it since the beofinnincr of the war, after she had seen what was done in Baden under the direction of the Grand Duchess. She had also before her the example of Florence Nightingale, and the good she had done durinof and after the Crimean war. The Princess was naturally fond of nursing, and of all that had to do with it, and she therefore eagerly took up the idea of founding a Frauen-Verein, or "Ladies' Union" an idea which, under her au- spices, was soon most successfully carried out. She wished lay women and ladies of all classes to join in this undertaking, so that the nursing should not be confined, as heretofore, to religious orders only. After much consultation a committee was formed in 1867, consisting of six ladies and four doctors, with the Princess as President. The central committee of the " Ladies' Union " was to be at Darmstadt, under the Princess' direction. The other committees spread over the whole country. Its object was to assist " the nursing and supporting of the troops in times of war," and in times of peace to " train nurses, to assist other hospitals, or amongst the poor, or to nurse the rich " in fact, to help wherever help was required. In 1868 the members belonging to the " Ladies' Union " had greatly increased, and in 1869 they reached the number of 2,5oo.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2010, 07:08:37 PM »
Thanks for the info. I guess Alicky mixed it ip. Had Alice been alive she might give her more advice from her own experience.

Offline violetta

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2010, 07:40:20 PM »
Princess Christian summarizes Alice`s activities of 1867

Well, I think thinking about girl`s education in 1867 was really something. Education was denied to women for a few  decades to come. Upper-class women had access to education but what about the rest?the poor?the lower  middle-class? Alice thought (and actually put this into practice) as early as 1867

At the time the Princess started this undertaking she was also much occupied with another all-engross- ing subject the improvement of the condition of poor unmarried women and girls, as well as the the education of girls in general. she found anable assistant in Fraulein Louise Biichner a most distinguished authoress, and the champion of women's rights, more particularly of the higher education of women.

According to princess christian, "All institutions for art had a great attraction for her, and she took up the idea most warmly of founding Schools of Design in her own country, as she hoped they would exercise a good influence there."

Alice to QV, 28.02.1867

Yesterday we had a very interesting lecture in our house about Art in Venice, by a young Swede [Herr von Molin], who has been studying three years in Italy. We had the room full of people, artists, and professors, who liked to listen.

Offline violetta

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2010, 07:51:15 PM »
in 1869 , on 15.10, the opening of the Idiot Asylum built by the Princess took place on the  in her presence and that of the Prince.

account of princess christian, prusso-french war

Ever since the Prince's departure the Princess had remained " at her post " in Darmstadt, helping, com- forting, and advising all around her. She was proud to be the wife of a German officer serving in the field in such a cause, though her life for the present was full of anxiety and care. She worked, like any other woman, to alleviate as best she could    the sufferings of the sick and the wounded, and giving    aid to those who were plunged into destitution by the war. Whilst she was living with her children at Kranichstein the " Hidfsvereiii," or Committee of Aid, had its headquarters in her palace at Darm- stadt. She herself went there every day, visited all the hospitals, also the ambulances at the railway sta-tion, and superintended the organization of " Com- mittees of Aid " all over the country. The Committees which she had organized long previously now proved themselves an untold blessing.
The " Alice Society for Aid to Sick and Wounded " had sixteen trained nurses ready for work at the be- ginning of the war. Through the voluntary help of some of the best doctors and surgeons, who arranged    classes at different places for the instruction    all those who were anxious to help to nurse during the war, the number of nurses was increased by
degrees to one hundred and sixty-four. These were   sent to the different hospitals in Hesse, to ambulances near Metz, to the hospital trains, and the hospitals on the steamers.    

Offline violetta

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2010, 09:18:29 PM »
alice (and louise) with ther first child victoria

Offline XJaseyRaeX

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2010, 04:24:51 AM »
Here's some pictures of Alice and family that i found in my photobucket

Alice and Louis with Victoria, Elisabeth and baby Irene

Alice and Louis with Victoria and baby Elisabeth

Alice with her younger siblings

Alice with her sisters

I am.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2010, 10:45:15 AM »
I wonder if Princess Alice's letters to her brothers & sisters (like Bertie & Vicky survived or not ?). I don't think that they were published ? I think the only one that was published was between Alice & her mother.

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2010, 11:07:46 AM »
Their letters to Alice did survive, that's for sure. The Hesse State Archive in Darmstadt has several hundreds of them. Unpublished, as far as I know.
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2010, 11:45:13 AM »
Sketch of Alice as a bridesmaid, 1850s.

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2010, 11:52:28 AM »
Would love to work on those letters someday.  ;)

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2010, 11:58:05 AM »
Well, go ahead!
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2010, 12:02:30 PM »
Money darling ! If only I can do it...

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2010, 01:39:21 PM »
Ever considered a fundraising campaign?

Offline wildone

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2010, 01:48:01 AM »
It makes me wonder if there could likewise be a stack of letters from Alice to her mother and siblings.  I know Beatrice burned a lot of QV's correspondence, but she can't have found everything.  There could be a treasure trove of letters in some nondescript box in a Balmoral attic somewhere.