Author Topic: The Grand Dukes, Volume 1  (Read 12870 times)

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
Re: The Grand Dukes, Volume 1
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 12:38:33 PM »
Thanks so much for the kind words about my chapters! I'm glad you liked them!

Mrs Davidson,

I LOVED your take on the three sons of Alexander III. These chapters are sincerely among my favorites. I also particularly enjoyed Ms Ashton's take on Konstantin Pavlovich, who I believe has been much-maligned.

Please continue writing!!

Many kind regards,

Eddie Tash

Also join my voice in congratulating Lisa, a dear friend of many, many moons, for an excellent job well done!

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline primrose

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 01:50:49 PM »
I guess I do not have such a huge hangup as you seem to have over a typo here and there. The way you make it sound is NOT what I see in the book AT ALL!! So I immediately wonder if this is yet another of the usual APA attacks on the publisher – which are contrived and filled with nasty envy frankly.
Oh I see, so your gripe is an old wound. So you go off and buy a book just so you can come on here and bitty about something from the past?

So tis is not about The Grand Dukes, but about settling old scores – amazing and  – Wow, frankly, pathetic!

Eddie (Edwina) Tash

I do not know the background amongst the Romanov writers which has led to this viciousness, but I do believe that this is an unacceptable personal attack on Alixz. It would be interesting to know what your agenda is~

« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 10:44:45 AM by Alixz »
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."

Winston Churchill

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 02:40:03 PM »
I guess I do not have such a huge hangup as you seem to have over a typo here and there. The way you make it sound is NOT what I see in the book AT ALL!! So I immediately wonder if this is yet another of the usual APA attacks on the publisher – which are contrived and filled with nasty envy frankly.

Oh I see, so your gripe is an old wound. So you go off and buy a book just so you can come on here and bitty about something from the past?

So tis is not about The Grand Dukes, but about settling old scores – amazing and  – Wow, frankly, pathetic!

Eddie (Edwina) Tash

I do not know the background amongst the Romanov writers which has led to this viciousness, but I do believe that this is an unacceptable personal attack on Alixz. It would be interesting to know what your agenda is~

I think people need to stop being so overly sensitive about genuine criticism and what crosses the line.  There is nothing "pathetic" or "settling of scores" or "attacks" that I have seen. It is legitimate to say that a book has some distracting typos.  That is a statement of fact. Perhaps you don't find them as distracting as Alixz. I used to edit  a lot in college, and have written for many years, so I myself find them distracting.

Personal attacks are something quite different. Had a poster said " this author is a fraud who did no research made up material and plagarised other works just to sell books"...I could see that as an attack.  To jump on Alixz, who happens to be a Mod by the way, for making a statement of her opinion about a fact, that the book has typos, is indeed becoming personal. 

Nothing in what Alixz wrote is driven by "agenda" or "old scores" or anything else. She stated a legitimate point and gave her view. Nothing more.

I'm going to start keeping an eye in here.  Play nice.

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 02:53:59 PM »
Thanks for reminding people to play nice – Always good to know an eye is watching!

Best and Happy Turkeycide Day!

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 02:45:27 PM »
I also particularly enjoyed Ms Ashton's take on Konstantin Pavlovich, who I believe has been much-maligned.

Ms Ashton and Dr Lee. :-)

There's generally a noticeable difference between co-authored and solo work - or at least you can tell so if you're the author. :-) Will Lee has a profound knowledge of psychology, and many of the thoughts the way that KP reacted in his childhood, as well as the fact that he finally came to side with Poland because he felt he'd found his niche, are ones that I had not arrived at on my own. I am particularly interested in Konstantin's relationship with his two wives, his houses, and his image as the constitutional monarch that never was.

In view of the great plaudits that Lisa's chapters are getting here, I am looking forward very much to reading hers when the copies reach the UK contributors - and having read  Will's chapter on Paul Alexandrovich both before and after Lisa joined him in writing it, I can also say that I know there how much "the woman's touch" changed that chapter, adding unique insights about Marie Alexandrovna and her children to Will's fascinating look at Paul's education, and thoughts on P's role as a father and in the revolution.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 02:48:56 PM by Janet Ashton »
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many; they are few.

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2010, 08:44:41 AM »
I have received my copy of The Grand Dukes, but with the holidays have not read it.  I have however, scanned it and enjoyed the photos most of which are new to me. 

However, I have been unable to locate a listing of the people appearing on the balcony with N&A on the cover.  This is probably a well known photo, but I would love someone to help me identify them all.

By asking this, I have now probably exposed myself as a lukewarm and uninformed Romanov fan. ;)  Oh, well, hopefully my fervent Romanovophiles will be able to help me.

Thanx.
BobG

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2010, 12:27:35 PM »
Bob...I am away from home right now and will post the list for you to be able to identify them.

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2010, 02:25:36 PM »
Thanks so much for the kind words about my chapters! I'm glad you liked them!

Mrs Davidson,

I LOVED your take on the three sons of Alexander III. These chapters are sincerely among my favorites. I also particularly enjoyed Ms Ashton's take on Konstantin Pavlovich, who I believe has been much-maligned.

Please continue writing!!

Many kind regards,

Eddie Tash

Dear Eddie: I'm so glad you loved them. I tried to approach all of the grand dukes with an open mind and was surprised by all of the untruths about them that exist in print. For example, the it is said that Michael Alexandrovich abdicated, that George Alexandrovich sired children, and that Nicholas II did not want to rule Russia. As you know, none of these are true but it took a bit of mucking around in source material to figure this out. It was a journey I enjoyed.

I also had the privilege of writing a chapter on Grand Duke Paul with Dr. William Lee during which I was delighted to find that Will has so many characteristics that I lack - and so is the ideal collaborator for this writer. I hope you enjoyed reading what we had to say about Paul Alexandrovich. Writing about his death was one of the most difficult writing I've ever done and I hope I did it justice.

I, too, am a big fan of Janet Ashton, and I love what she has to say about Emperor Paul's sons, too! Brava, Janet Ashton! Brava!

My writing continues. Will and I are hard at work accumulating sources so that we can begin writing the biography of our favorite Grand Duke, Dmitri Pavlovich. Of course it will not go as quickly as I'd like, but I hope to be in a position to write full time some time in the not-so-distant future.

Best regards,

Lisa Davidson

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 10:21:56 AM »
I regret some mixed feelings about the book. The content was extremely interesting, but the production left a good deal to be deserted. Not only were there a lot of typos, but two chunks in my copy were bound out of sequence (pp47-66 and another section appeared right at the end of the book).

I'm looking forward to the next volume - any idea when it will be out?

Ann

Offline Dominic_Albanese

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2010, 06:27:26 PM »
Lisa - many of us wait for your book on Dimitri.  And am excited that you may have a chance to write full time soon.  Happy Holidays my friend and again, excellent work in the Grand Dukes..

warmly,
dca

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 02:24:42 PM »
Lisa - many of us wait for your book on Dimitri.  And am excited that you may have a chance to write full time soon.  Happy Holidays my friend and again, excellent work in the Grand Dukes..

warmly,
dca

Dominic - thank you so much for the compliments! I work on something related to the biography most days. Art has encouraged us not to go too slowly, so pushing on is what we're doing!

Lisa

Alixz

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 08:09:29 AM »
I am just wondering why Art would encourage you not to go too slowly. 

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 06:39:17 PM »
I am just wondering why Art would encourage you not to go too slowly. 

I think because both Will and I are otherwise employed. It's very easy to come home from work and take it easy. Much harder to get right to work on the book. If we don't stay focused on the writing, it will not get done - and that's a shame.

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2010, 01:03:02 AM »
You and Will have great material and am looking forward to reading it. If it is two, three times what you shared with us at the Eurohistory Conference, goodness have we a jewel in the works!

Happy New Year!

--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2010, 12:26:20 PM »
Since I posted my Msge 23 Arturo (who has obviously been busy in the interim) has been in contact and offered to replace the book. He also suggested (which I entirely accept) that I should have contacted him direct in the first place.

So, apologies to Arturo for any embarrassment I've caused, and I'm looking forward impatiently to the next volume.

Ann