Author Topic: port arthur seige - assistance requested  (Read 7058 times)

Offline mikhail petrovich

• View Profile
port arthur seige - assistance requested
« on: December 02, 2010, 03:03:53 AM »
hello to all , i am new to posting in this forum. My grand father fought at port arthur, he was only in his early twenties at the time and was ranked unter officier at the time ( corporal ?? )
he was very reluctant to discuss aspects of the war with his family , other than some details about how relentless the japanese attacks were and that he was awarded several medals, one of which was for "excellent shooting"
Most of his personal possessions including medals , photos and uniforms were confiscated / stolen whilst relocating to manchuria soon after.
I am keen to reclaim reproductions of his medals and to learn more about his military records if possible. Is this possible to research ?

can anyone tell me what regiments fought in the defence of port arthur ? assuming he may of been awarded medals , is there a register of medal recipients that can be researched ? any assistance would be greatfully  appreciated

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
Re: port arthur seige - assistance requested
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 10:43:26 AM »
In 1906, all defenders of Port Arthur were awarded a silver medal "In memory of Russo-Japanese war":

In 1914, they were issued a commemorative cross (actually not an award). Shown below is a bronze cross for privates and NCOs:

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 10:26:21 PM »
Greetings Mike ! I have read some of your replies in other threads and was hoping you would come along to offer your expertise and knowledge. I have purchased a reproduction of the "all seeing eye" medal in silver from ebay. my Russian is not very good , but i believe it says something about when all soldiers are resurrected ? I was not  aware a port arthur cross had been issued in bronze , I though there was an standard issue for combatants in silver and then the officers recieved one with an enamelled centre.
Do you think there is any way i could find out what regiments defended port arthur ? I would like to know the colours  / emblems on the shoulder boards that would of been likely worn by my grandfather.
Would a register have been kept of awards or decorations ? can your contacts in russia do a search by full name & date of birth  in records ?
thanks you again for the pictures , you have started me on the right track. 

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 01:58:35 AM »
The inscription on the medal says "Let the Lord ascend you when the time comes".
The units sieged in Port Arthur were 5th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 25th, 26th, 27th and 28th Siberian Rifle regiments, some artillery, engineers and other units. If your grandfather was awarded St. George cross, his name might appear in the currently accessible registers. Otherwise the chances are small. Whan was his name anyway?

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 02:51:03 AM »
so if he was awarded medal for "excellent shooting" it makes sense that it was one of the rifle regiments. his name was Mikhail Petrovich Zakrjevsky
This is the "anglocised" spelling of his name as best interpreted in the day,  upon his emigration to Australia.  I have seen variation of the surname spelt Zakrzhevsky. I'll ask other family for his date and place of birth if that can assist further.   

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 03:06:51 AM »
Mike , just to confirm are all the regiment numbers  you mention in previous post all "Siberian Rifle"  ?

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 06:38:24 AM »
"For excellent shooting" was a badge, not medal:

All regiments inside the Port Arthur fortress were Siberian Rifles.
Zakrjevsky is an unrare Russian surname of a Polish origin. Many soldiers and officers of Siberian army units were descendants of exiled Polish insurgents.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 07:53:15 AM »
thats interesting. some people comment on the surname, asking if its polish and i say ski for polaks and sky for russians. I'm interested to find out as much as i can , good, bad or indifferent. There was a Natalie Zakrjevsky that married into the Galitzyn family in the latter 19th Cent. I would like to eventually find out if theres any connection.  Could you tell me which polish insurgency you refer to ?

I notice the badge youve displayed for EXCELLENT SHOOTING , i'll need to put this one on my shopping list , as the one i had purchased recently ( assuming it was the correct era ) was a 3 piece construction with NICHOLAS 2 monogram + crown over crossed rifles and a bronze base with same text 

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 12:56:28 PM »
Natalie Zakrjevsky that married into the Galitzyn family in the latter 19th Cent.
The surname spelled Закревский in Russian is more Russified than that spelled Закржевский, which retains a distinct Polish character.
which polish insurgency you refer to ?
Mostly that of 1863-1864.

a 3 piece construction with NICHOLAS 2 monogram
This is the 1st degree badge introduced in 1909. The 2nd and 3rd degrees were as I've shown, differing in color. Before 1909, all excellent shooting badges were like that, without a monogram.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 05:31:45 AM »
Thanks for that info Mike. My GF was born in 1878 , we have details of his father and grand father who was also born in Russia late 18th centrury. I agree the name may have polish roots , but maybe from an earlier time. regards to your picture of the badge for excellent shooting,  is it made of bronze or silver ? i have noticed a few very siimilar on ebay , with slight variations to the trigger guard  and rifle stock, could these be earlier issue ? have you had an opportunity to see if his name appears on the st george cross register ? kind regards

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 01:27:29 PM »
The badges were ordered by the army units from local manufacturers, so numerous variants are known as regards the design details and the materials. The regulations didn't specify the exact metal to be used, other than "dark metal" and "light metal".

I've posted the GF's name at a Russian web forum dedicated to St. George awards. Probably somebody will check it against the registers.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 05:18:30 AM »
Thanks Mike . I have found my GF wedding photo. whilst he is not in his uniform, several memebers of the bridal party are wearing theirs. nothing spectacular as far medals or decorations that i can see, but no doubt these fellows were "regimental buddies" of my GF . i'll load it up for curiousity value

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 03:37:00 AM »
have photo ready to upload ,but experiencing difficulty with attaching to thread , any help ?

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 05:13:56 AM »
]

[http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/mikhailpetrovich/Scan12252010_190413.jpg]
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 05:21:55 AM by mikhail petrovich »

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 06:14:28 AM »
hey Mike, looks like I messed up my first down loaded pic. I can seem to get the image to appear any larger. but i do have the scanned image which clearly shows the two millitary gents on the LHS , their shoulder boards as well as their cuff detail, could i email you this pic directly ? also have you had any response from your contacts on the Russian forums regarding st george medal lists ?