Author Topic: King Constantine II & Queen Anne-Marie - (nee Denmark)  (Read 163059 times)

Alicky1872

King Constantine II & Queen Anne-Marie - (nee Denmark)
« on: December 29, 2004, 02:44:00 PM »
Did anyone else (in the UK) see the channel 5 interview last night, with King Constantine? I really enjoyed it. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, and really down to earth.

It was really neat to see the actual De Laslo paintings of Queen Olga and King Constantine I, hanging in his London flat!

The documentary followed him to the family estate at Tatoi, and it was so sad, seeing him at the unkempt graves of his parents, King Paul and Queen Frederika. They also showed the masoleum where most of his relitives are buried. It's such a shame that although Tatoi is his personal family home, (not owned by the Greek state) he's not allowed to live there. The Greek government has treated him so shabbily.

Any other thoughts on this great documentary?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 07:32:25 PM by Alixz »

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
Re: King Constantine II & Queen Anne-Marie - (nee Denmark)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 05:43:51 AM »
Yes, Alicky I saw that.  I have been meaning to reply to your post and kept forgetting.
I thought that he came over really well; enough gravitas and natural dignity for an ex-monarch without being pompous or arrogant.  Queen Ann-Marie seems lovely.
I missed certain parts of it; do you remember what he did with the compensation from the Greek Govt for the loss of Tatoi?  I don't know how he kept his composure, touring the grounds of Tatoi and seeing it so neglected.  Having to visit the graves of his family as an ordinary visitor - very unjust.
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Alicky1872

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 07:25:18 AM »

I missed certain parts of it; do you remember what he did with the compensation from the Greek Govt for the loss of Tatoi?

Oh gosh--I can't remember now! I did tape it though, so after the hecticness of the next couple of days, I'll watch it again and re-post.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 08:25:46 AM »
I enjoyed the programme but thought it a bit one-sided.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 02:26:32 PM »
I enjoyed the programme but thought it a bit one-sided.

In what way did yoiu think it one-sided, Robert?  I have to admit, that I watched some, but not all of it.  Did you find it too reverential?

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

PrincessAlicky

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2004, 04:06:00 PM »
I watched this too. I thought it was wonderful to see footage of Tatoi, and the grounds though like you said Martyn it is very neglected. Also, when Constantine was showing us, the portraits of his family (George and Olga) On the one of Olga, she was wearing a bracelet and he said that when his wife (Ann-Marie) was at an air -port (I can't remember which on, does anyone know ? Hethrow perhaps? I'm not sure) she happened to have the bracelet in her possesion and it was stolen ! It was never been recovered. I think it was a ruby bracelet ?
Overall,I thought it was a good interview  ;)

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2005, 08:01:13 AM »
As I recall, the ruby bracelet was lost in a Swiss airport.
I have a personal interest in the Greek royal family and am fond of them, however, a "great documentary" would chronicle the long standing conflict between the Greek politicals and the  comings and goings of the monarchs. This was more of an "entertainment bio" of Constantine. There are more than 2 sides to the stories behind his reign, the coups, the generals junta, counter-coup and the present uneasy settlement between the powers-that-be and the powers-that-were.
Cheers,
Robert
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2005, 08:40:03 AM »
As I recall, the ruby bracelet was lost in a Swiss airport.
I have a personal interest in the Greek royal family and am fond of them, however, a "great documentary" would chronicle the long standing conflict between the Greek politicals and the  comings and goings of the monarchs. This was more of an "entertainment bio" of Constantine. There are more than 2 sides to the stories behind his reign, the coups, the generals junta, counter-coup and the present uneasy settlement between the powers-that-be and the powers-that-were.
Cheers,
Robert

Oh I think that you are absolutely right.  this was living 'Hello' magazine TV and in no way a serious exploration of history or politics.  Enjoyable, yes, informative, a little, in depth decidedly not.  Robert, can you remember what he did with the compensation money from Tatoi - I have a feeling that he donated it to some charitable cause in Greece....
Do you think that this documentary is part of some 'softly, softly' programme of reintroducing him seriously into the public consciousness with a view to improving his standing in Europe and Greece?

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2005, 08:41:00 AM »
BTW, was the ruby bracelet part of Queen Olga's heirloom parure (must have missed that bit as well!)?

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2005, 08:59:22 AM »
 In my opinion,the  Greek royal family has never been far from the public attention, if not affection. There is a decided prejudice on all sides.
all parts. The church itself is in a  rather sensitive position. The statement that "the king was annointed"  could itself cause conflict, as "annointment" is not a sacrament, but a blessing.
I think the family ismoving towards a prescense much like the Bulgarians [sans political role] and the Romanians..i.e. welcome as rightful citizens,equal to all other citizens.
Fortunately, they do not have the family in-fighting that does plague the Romanians and makes the Serbians look like Eurotrash !
Cheers !

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2005, 09:03:20 AM »
Sorry, I digressed. The last I heard, which was some time ago, King Constantine did not cash the cheque ! It was appealed as "inadequate and innapropriate" compensation".
I would agree, the funds dispersed would noteven come close to covering the repairs & restoration involved and did not meet the court decision either.

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2005, 10:35:32 AM »
Sorry, I digressed. The last I heard, which was some time ago, King Constantine did not cash the cheque ! It was appealed as "inadequate and innapropriate" compensation".
I would agree, the funds dispersed would noteven come close to covering the repairs & restoration involved and did not meet the court decision either.

Thanks for that Robert.  It was quite sad to see the state of Tatoi - it looked entirely negelcted.  They should do the decent thing and return it to him properly (and maintained).

Offline DOMOVOII

• Boyar
  • Crikey chief!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2005, 06:40:33 AM »
From what I remember from the programme, was KCII was awarded something int the region of several millions, in recompense for the loss of his personla estates, which was indeed a far cry from the amount claimed he was contesting, something close to ten times that amount.

The Greek govt made the restitution from the Treasury's "allowance" for disasters and emergencies, which KCII was not best pleased about--whether he feared opprobrium if such a disaster was to occur who can say.  With the "payment" he established the "Anne -Marie" Society, which endeavours to help Greek causes in Greece. (Named for his wife)

Incidentally for our English readers KCII is a neighbour of Richard and Judy..... poor man!

A stand can be taken against an army of men, but no stand can be made against an invasion of an idea          V Hugo

Offline James_Davidov

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2005, 06:52:38 AM »
lol...Im not English, (Aussie), but could you try to fill me in on who Richard and Judy are?

lol
You are a member of the British royal family. We are never tired, and we all love hospitals.
Queen Mary

Offline DOMOVOII

• Boyar
  • Crikey chief!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2005, 07:03:05 AM »
They are a married couple who through the mid nineties dominated day time TV, they work together and after years doing a morning show called This Morning, moved down south with a 6 figure contract.

I wouldn't worry if you've not heard of them, they aren't particularly note worthy.... it was just a minor fact that people who had, would find interesting.
A stand can be taken against an army of men, but no stand can be made against an invasion of an idea          V Hugo