Author Topic: King Constantine II & Queen Anne-Marie - (nee Denmark)  (Read 174828 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: King Constantine II & Queen Anne-Marie - (nee Denmark)
« Reply #150 on: July 23, 2007, 10:47:39 PM »
I think it is about time to close the chapter on Constantine's persecution.  >:(

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 23, 2007, 10:48:34 PM »
Yes let them self destruct.  ;)

Offline Ilias_of_John

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 23, 2007, 11:40:46 PM »
Hear hear!
Honour all men.
Love the brotherhood.
Fear God.
Honour the king.
1 Peter 2:17

Offline Ilias_of_John

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 23, 2007, 11:44:54 PM »
The only way it can be done is if it comes from the population, for H.M will not lower himself to his detractors level.
Unfortunately the Greek people are too busy "existing" on a day to day basis and and tend to avoid  their own political machinations let alone justice to their own Royal Family.
Honour all men.
Love the brotherhood.
Fear God.
Honour the king.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2007, 09:13:09 AM »
I totally agree. The treatment of King Constantine is a sign of an intolerant and paranoid regime. One wonders how much money was wasted in fighting the King in the courts over Tatoi and other properties which were illegally confiscated. They then tried to blame him for taking monies from the natural disasters budget to compensate him. Thankfully King Constantine established a fund for natural disasters with the monies to outwit them. Politics is such a dirty business. Treachery seems to at times be part and parcel of it all. Can anybody possibly imagine the cost to Greece was worthwhile from the military junta and the subsequent traumas? One wonders how Greece would have been now without membership of the European Union and the massive flow of monies from that organisation?  It has all been a Greek tragedy like those of the ancient playwrights. Revenge has been a large factor. It is interesting to note that Constantine's ancestor, King George I, remains the longest serving Greek Head of State going back to Alexander the Great. What stability has the Hellenic Republic brought Greece?

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2007, 09:18:55 AM »
Perhaps a restoration will happen just by itself. That has happened in the past when matters have been badly mismanaged. Perhaps it will never happen, perhaps it might under a future King like Crown Prince Pavlos. History has a funny way of repeating itself. I wonder though whether any of the Greek Royal Family would want the throne back as it is rather like a poisoned chalice.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2007, 08:17:05 PM »
Well...some Greeks I have talked to did blame the King for chickening out and not stood with the people against the junta. "Had he done so, he would have been a hero" one said. But his depaerure left many monarchist dissapointed. (Very different from his brother-in-law, who stood up against his opponents and won great respect from the Spanish people even today).  ???

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 26, 2007, 03:31:34 AM »
If they want to be seriously considered they better.... ::)

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 26, 2007, 09:27:36 AM »
I always thought that Marie-Chantal had so much money that the Greek Royals could make the argument that the monarchy would not cost anything to run except for overseas visist as she could pay for it all. Isn't her father a multi-billionaire?

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 26, 2007, 09:34:49 AM »
Yes but remember Juan Carlos was not cut off. The Spanish rebels were only in the Cortez and had not taken over the capital like they had in Athens. Tanks were pointing at the royal palace where Constantine and Anne-Marie were staying. It was a completely different scenario.  There were politicians who actively disliked Constantine. There still are. The longer Constantine had stayed in Greece the more he would have been associated with the Junta. His departure after his failed coup was the only solution. At least he could not be blamed then for the appalling behaviour of the Junta. He should have been welcomed back as he never really supported it. Remember it was the Junta who were governing illegally, not Constantine. They were the ones who declared the illegal republic against the wishes of the Greek people. I do think it was totally unfair that Constantine as the legitimate Head of State was not allowed back after the fall of the Junta. The so-called democratic politicians suspended that part of the constitution and continued the illegal republic holding a questionable referendum where the King was not allowed back into the country to state his case. Instead he was only able to speak on television from London. It was all rigged.   

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
  • Queen Mary: Visions of Grandeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 26, 2007, 10:23:52 AM »
Her father is Robert W. Miller, who made his multi-millions in duty-free retail. One of her sisters were married to an oil heir and the other was married to Prince Alexander von Furstenberg. They're pretty well off!  ;)

Mary R.
"I shall be very disappointed," she remarked for the record, "if George doesn't come up again." Queen Mary upon hearing her husband was to ride in a submarine.

When asked the question of when her eldest son would return to the country Queen Mary said, "Not until he comes to my funeral."

Offline Ilias_of_John

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2007, 06:10:54 PM »
Eric and Dmitri you are both right(apart from the fact that Alexander was Head of Sate,he was more of a local King with a good army and political apparatus).
With the benefit of hindsight the King should not even have associated the Junta and ordered them to cease and desist come what may have become to his own personal self. However, we need to remember that when it happened he was at Tatoi outside of Athens and the Colonels immeadiately arrested everyone who had any sort of political power.I remember reading that it was 5000 people overnight including all members of parliament all judges, senior police senior clerics all Royal staff etc etc etc.My father remembers the tanks rolling in to the city and the sheer terror of the unknown with the incessant chattering of the machine guns against loyalist troops who were outnumbereed, surprised, and overwhelmed rapidly.
Subsequently there was no one to advise H.M let alone arrest the Junta.
What really irks me as if regular readers of these pages havent realised is how H.M was denied his rightful place after the Junta fell, and that is SOLELY for the reason that the current crop of so called Greek leaders have kept power, influence for their own selfish selves rather than for the good of the Greek people.
Honour all men.
Love the brotherhood.
Fear God.
Honour the king.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2007, 08:58:08 PM »
Yes...The circumstances were not in favour for the young king. It is understanable that some monarchist felt disappointed when the king took off (without knowing the full story of course), and had expect him to be a force against the junta. However he was also handicapped by the unpopularity of his mother, Queen Frederica. One Greek told me that "He really lost the support because of her." and added that she was a figure of contraversy "Depending on who you ask, she was either Snow White or the Wicked Witch of the East."  ???

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 26, 2007, 08:59:14 PM »
But not wealthy enough to buy Greece for Marie Chantel... ::)

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 04, 2007, 12:44:22 AM »
TM returned to Greece from Denmark earlyer this week as they've (finally) aquired a home in their country.Reason they didn't attend the tradional photo shoot at Graasten Palace yesterday.
Je Maintiendrai