Author Topic: King Constantine II & Queen Anne-Marie - (nee Denmark)  (Read 174056 times)

Offline romios

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: King Constantine II & Queen Anne-Marie - (nee Denmark)
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2005, 05:34:44 PM »
MORNING ALL!
Here is an interview that has just been printed in Australia's largest Greek newspaper.It says alot about  H.M. A true Gentleman. P.S any single ladies out there for HRH Prince Nikolaos?

Offline Maki

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2005, 07:48:30 PM »
Romios,
Fascinating interviews with King Constantine.  I go through a kind of time-warp every time I see a picture of him, since he was so young when I used to see him in Greece.  (I, of course, have not changed at all in 40 years!)  The interviewer asked some very pointed questions and seems to have gotten very straightforward answers.  Thank you so much for posting these.  Maki

Offline romios

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2005, 07:59:08 PM »
Maki you now have me intrigued,tell us more!

Alicky1872

« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2005, 06:23:15 AM »
Thanks so much for posting that, Romios! I love his story about the taxi! It reminded me of the well known anecdote about how his grandfather, King George I, the then Prince of Wales and Alexander III stopped a man to give them a ride, as they were so tired from walking. When the driver asked them who they all were, and they replied truthfully...the driver supposedly said "And I am Jesus Christ!"  ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Alicky1872 »

Offline Maki

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2005, 11:34:41 AM »
Maki you now have me intrigued,tell us more!

When  I lived in Athens we frequently saw Frederika and her three children around the city.  A relative of mine sang in a chorus with Irene.  Constantine (then Crown Prince),  the perfect personification of handsome young nobility, was at a performance at the Irodion of Margot Fonteyn and Rudoph Nureyev which I attended.  The dancers performed the first act of "Swan Lake", but Constantine requested another act, second or third--I forget--instead of whatever was on the program...so they did it.  As I recall, C. was in the company of a popular screen actress of the time, Aliki Vouyouklaki.  Later, after King Paul died, young Constantine became an honorary graduate of the American Farm School outside Thessaloniki, where I lived.  I've always liked and admired the family, but wasn't able to learn much about their whereabouts and activities until I discovered this forum.  Maki

Offline romios

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2005, 06:23:38 PM »
My father and father in law were both in the then Royal Hellenic Navy(national service.)My father in law remembers a time when the RF was on board the destroyer he was on and they were being taken to one of the islands for a tour or a holiday(mon repos perhaps?).It would have been 1952-53.A certain young man who would have been about 6 at the time was misbehaving himself   on the rear of the ship and no one was able to discipline him.Its a bit a hard whe you are a lowly sailor and the cheeky little one happens to be the heir to the throne!Anyway, his dad came down the back and saw what was going on so he put the little fella on his knee in front of 5 or 6 20 year old conscripts and proceeded to introduce him to a little bit of discipline. Apparently he was a model sailor for the rest of the trip!

Offline romios

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2005, 07:12:40 PM »
correction 1947-48 not 52-53

Offline amelia

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2005, 09:02:02 PM »
I just would like to ask you Romios and Maki, honestly do you think that the Greek RF will ever go back to Greece.  Do the Greek people want that?  There is nothing that would make me happier.

Amelia

Offline romios

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2005, 09:34:46 PM »
This is a question that has been plaguing the Greek nation ever since King Othona left in the 1860's!.Exile is a greek curse!! (H.M. THE KING.) It is my humble opinion that the RF will eventually return,perhaps shortly, as private citizens.As to whether they will ever be offered the opporunity to assume their birthright only time will tell.Political circumstance do have to change but there are numerous historical examples which I won't name of many Royal Families returning and assuming the mantles of power again.Living in a country which does have a constituitional monarchy  form of goverment(Australia) I can say that the system does work where the Head of State reigns of behalf of the people. I also believe that the majority of the Greek people would welcome such a system of goverment that does encourage stability as opposed to the machinations that have been occuring over there since 1974. However, it is important to realise that those currently in control for want of a better term, would not give up their so called priviledges (ie  appointing a president from the ranks of 2 or 3 families consistently) without so much as a fight! And remember that when H.M THE KING fled in fear for his life he was but a 24 year old who had not exactly the best political advisors advising Him.After 40 years 5 children,numerous grandchildren and having maintained ther Greekness circumstances are different.I was told recently that at the last Royal Christening, the Greek ladies magazines had heaps of pages and photos and articles on the event!

Offline amelia

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2005, 07:09:13 AM »
Romios,

Thank you so much for the explanation.  I wish they go back in my life time, I would love that.

Amelia

Offline amelia

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2005, 03:23:47 PM »
Does anyone know what surname the Greek Royal family uses?  I imagine the King will just be, Constantine of Greece? But what about the princes and princesses, do they use any surname?

Thank you
Amelia

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2005, 04:28:50 PM »
Indeed,exile is a Greek curse,as HM stated.Nonetheless HM and his family are welcome,as citizens,again.As HM stated in the interview,they haven't found a suiteble residence yet,but they are in the country more often than not lately.

Princess Marie Chantal opened a boutique in Athens recently,the youngest son of Prince Pavlos and his wife,Prince Odysseas Kimon of Greece was christened last june at the Church of the Convent of St.John the Baptist in Karea/Athens,and they had a reception at the Yacht Club of Greece,Microlimano,Athens.And Queen Sophia visited Athens again last week attending a reunion at Mitera,the maternity clinic where she once worked as a nurse,founded by her mother Queen Frederika 50 years ago.

to give you an idea by his report.Unfortunately I lost more(heartwarming-) pictures of the visit.

Fact is that whenever the RF appears,people gather and cheer them,hug them,kiss them.I know that doesn't tell wheter or not the Monarchy will ever be called upon,but is does show the genuine affection towards the RF,if not by all then still by many,which I think is heartwarming.

About the surname.The King insisted on 'of Greece',but the then Greek government insisted on Schleswig-Holstein- Sonderburg - Glücksburg(the Danish House from where they originate-),any which way,this issue has been settled,in favor of the King.The same will apply for the children,as they are just that,of Greece.The present Greek government is friendlyer then its predecessors towards Tino and his Family,not as childishly stubbornly stupid,the risée of Europe,as HM and his family never were.

On a side note,I wish they put up their website again,it's been down since over a year,and still under construction.I hope it's not due to yet another Greek "curse",avrio....(just kidding..)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 01:09:31 PM by Svetabel »
Je Maintiendrai

Offline Alexios

• Long live the Emperor! God save the Queen!
    • View Profile
    • Rollenspiel-Mittelalter
« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2005, 01:48:38 PM »
Well, indeed, Constantine II should ascend the throne again. If the Byzantine Empire can not be restored, a king is still FAR more preferable than a republican head of state. Indeed, long live His Majesty the king of the Hellenes!

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2005, 02:27:03 PM »
http://www.christinesroyalty.net/royalfamilies/greece/history.html

Here is the link to a History of the Greek Royal Family I wrote 9 years ago.