Author Topic: The True Memoirs of Little K; a novel by Adrienne Sharp  (Read 6138 times)

Offline koloagirl

• Graf
  • Loving each other and having faith always.
    • View Profile
The True Memoirs of Little K; a novel by Adrienne Sharp
« on: December 29, 2010, 09:48:23 PM »

Aloha!

Haven't heard about this book, but it popped up on my "recommended" list on Amazon today - has anyone else read this book and if so - what are your thoughts on it - worth buying and reading or not?

Mahalo for the advice!

janet R.
Janet R.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: The True Memoirs of Little K; a novel by Adrienne Sharp
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 01:07:57 AM »
Never heard of it myself.
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 11:21:11 AM »
Sorry, Janet- I have not heard of it either and it has not shown up om my Amazon  recommendations
 Cheers
 Robert
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline koloagirl

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 12:05:50 AM »

Aloha all!

Mahalo for the responses - it just came up yesterday on my Amazon "recommended for you" list - and I'd never seen or heard of it before either!

Maybe if the price is right......I'll give it a whirl!

Robert - good to talk to you!  Sounds like you have another big trip planned for 2011!  I'm going back to Paris in September - just couldn't get enough of it last March!!  Hope you are well.

Malama Pono (take care)
Janet R.
Janet R.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 11:48:48 AM »
Yes Janet- we just booked the Cunard Scandinavian cruise with  St. Petersburg and 2 weeks before and after in London. After all this wet and cold weather, 2 weeks on the liner sounds inviting. As for your book, I shall ask my librarian pals if they have heard anything about it.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Offline koloagirl

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 04:51:58 PM »

Aloha all!

Much appreciated Robert!  Your trip sounds fabulous as well!  When are you planning on going?

Hau'oli Makahiki Hou (Happy New Year) to all from Kaua'i!

Janet R.
Janet R.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 07:16:44 PM »
Janet,  I have been told the  novel is about the ballerina Mathilde and her various affairs with the Romanovs. Not to my taste and pretty bad reviews- unless one is into  ballet.
  As to our voyage, not until  spring time. However, Las Vegas is on the horizon before then  !!!

Offline koloagirl

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 03:42:34 PM »

Aloha!

Mahalo once more Robert - Amazon didn't give much information on it and I'm not familiar with the author - looks like a good one to "skip" until I can get it used for around $1.00 - LOL!

Have fun in "Lost Wages" (I know, old joke!)!!!

Malama Pono (take care),
Janet R.
Janet R.

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 11:31:59 AM »
This book has some good detail about the world of ballet in the 1890's and is a good read until the author starts mentioning things that I just don't think could have happened. It got to the point where I could no longer suspend my disbelief. My verdict? Okay to buy from a bargain bin or check out from the library. You got it right, Janet.

Offline koloagirl

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 09:26:32 PM »

Aloha all!

Mahalo Lisa!

Sounds like a definite "wait for the used paperback" selection on Amazon!!

I appreciate the help - I knew absolutely zilch about this book and only "invest" in new hard backs when they are worthwhile!!  Not usually fiction either.

Once again - thank you!

Janet R.
Janet R.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 05:36:45 AM »
Sounds like a book to read for a bit of fun, but not to take seriously - in fact, to enjoy pulling apart!

Rather like a book I had to review published in 2009, which had Alexandra and the girls disappearing by train from Ekaterinburg! 'The Fallen Kings', by Cynthis Harrod-Eages, if anyone is interested (I do some reviewing for a historical novels website).

Ann

Offline Zella

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 07:24:27 PM »
I enjoyed this book.  the descriptions of the ballet, costumes, the palaces, jewels, personalities are wonderful.  especially in the first half.  the second half takes a bizarre and definately unhistorical turn.  not sure why the author felt she had to go into such fantasy - she had a perfectly good story going without it.  still, the writing is very evocative.

Offline Naslednik

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 12:22:07 PM »
I just read this novel and would recommend it if you have already read Kschessinska's autobiography, Dancing in Petersburg.  It is important to have the 'facts' down so that you can suspend disbelief enough to continue on the novel's tale and understand that you are reading fiction. That said, I think it is a good read - the language is sometimes unbelievably beautiful and poetic, and the author explores the possibilities of Kschessinka's thoughts, the things that she doesn't mention in her memoirs.  I wasn't much interested in the issue of Vova's paternity, but I loved exploring Kschessinska's emotional world: her real attachments, the double-edged sword of her connection to the IF, and her motivation to reign supreme on the stage.  However, I do disagree with Sharp about Kschessinka's view of Nicholas.  In the novel, Nicholas' reticence to be deeply involved with Little K is presented as proof of his lukewarm love for her.  Instead, I think his actions were deeply influenced by his religious feelings and hope to marry Alix H.

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 03:03:36 PM »
I agree with you about the lovely writing and how Nicholas felt about Little K.

I have written elsewhere about Nicholas religiosity and sexuality, but to be as brief as I can: Nicholas' actions indicate the likelihood that he and Kschessinskya were virgins when they began their affair. Or, more specifically, he was and believed she was. I think he loved her although it was not the deep attachment he evidently felt towards his wife. Nicholas was sincerely religious and this likely made him feel considerable guilt where Little K was concerned. This is why I think he made sure to always support her career and that she had a new protector in Serge Mikhailovich. This is the very most he could do for her under the circumstances.

I don't think this indicates a lukewarm love and I know of no evidence that Nicholas slept with Kschessinskya after he married.

Offline Naslednik

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 07:42:38 AM »
Lisa,
Yes I completely agree with your summary of Nicholas' attitude toward Kschessinska.  I'll have to search the forum for threads of (your) discussion on his devoutness and conflict with his emerging manhood. 

I think his religious feelings/her virginity/his awareness of her Father's feelings did cause him guilt. You can feel that in K's unpublished memoirs when she describes him sitting in a chair away from her, inert, as she was trying to convince him to be 'her first.'  The degree of her devotion to him, even after 1894, must also have added to his guilt.

What intrigues me is how our post-revolution views interfere with a clear view of events well before 1917; hence writers see Nicholas' reticence with Kschessinska as more proof of his spinelessness.  Have there been any general threads on the forum discussing that general social problem? (a sort of antidote to 'History is Written by the Victors') (I have a son named Viktor  :-)

What is really missing from library shelves is a thorough study of Nicholas as a boy and young man, in my humblest of opinions.
Cheers,
Alison Naslednik