Author Topic: Did Anastasia feel unloved?  (Read 21021 times)

Offline Suzanne

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • Carolyn Harris Royal Historian
Re: Did Anastasia felt unloved?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2005, 09:25:26 PM »
I don't believe that the quote JediDeshka posted from Fate of the Romanovs should be treated as the definitive answer to Marie's feelings within her family. Despite the amount of published literature about the Romanovs, there is a great deal we do not not know about the private life of the family and the details of the children's relationship with their parents is one of them. Wilson and King assume that Alexandra chose to address Marie's concerns "only" throughout a letter - it is equally possible that Alexandra had a personal chat with her daughter and then wrote the letter to reinforce what they had discussed. Just because notes were passed between mother and children does not mean discussions did not take place as well. Furthermore, I don't believe it is appropraite to make judgements such as "typical" and "lacked the parenting skills" without providing multiple examples of probable strained relations between Alexandra and the children. In the Fate of the Romanovs, I do not believe King and Wilson provide enough evidence to support their conclusions regarding the "strained" relationship between Alexandra and the children. While I certainly respect the research the authors have conducted and am always willing to read a fresh interpretation of the facts - I believe this passage is an example of "begging the question" - developing a conclusion intially then interpreting subsequent evidence in a manner that supports it.

Offline Yoyo

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Did Anastasia felt unloved?
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2005, 08:02:32 AM »
I would agree with Suzanne that FOTR is not the definite answer to what Marie felt concerning her position in the family. But it balances those viewpoints that see the Romanovs as a perfect family that did not struggle with issues all families (children and parents) struggle with such as sibling rivalry, feelings of being unwanted, lack of some parenting skills etc. Did the family feel disappointed at the birth of another girl (when a boy was a political necessity)? I think they did. Did they love Anastasia (and Marie) anyways? By the content of their letters and diaries, yes they did.

Yoyo
"That's no reason to go ripping people's heads off, boy"
Mr. Krabbs to Spongebob Squarepants

Offline Sarastasia

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: Did Anastasia feel unloved?
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2005, 09:35:57 AM »
I think Anastasia must have felt unloved sometimes, whether she actually was or not. She must have felt the full force of her family's disappointment at her gender. Also, with Tatiana being her mother's favourite daughter, Maria being her father's favourite daughter and Alexei being the favourite child overall, Anastasia must have felt terribly unneeded and a sort of third wheel.

Sarastasia

Offline DeAnochka

• Boyar
  • "Simply the thing I am shall make me live"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2005, 11:57:00 AM »
Do you think that could be an explination for her antics as a child? She could have been doing all of those crazy things to get attention and distinguish herself among her family memers.

She did a darn good job at it either way!

Offline Sarastasia

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2005, 03:01:21 AM »
yeah, it's possible that she was the "enfant terrible" to attract attention, but she sure went the wrong way about it!!!

Sarstasia

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2005, 10:12:25 AM »
I don't think she did, past the time Tsarvitch Alexei was born, because the family did love her dearly. It is doubtful if she felt unloved before Tsarvitch Alexei's birth, either -she was so young. Anastasia was close to her father and Marie and Alexei especially, and I'm sure her older sisters loved her too. She was a bit of disapointment at birth, because everyone was so sure ( without foundation) that it was a boy. But everyone soon accepted it and as she got older, she enchanted people with her outgoing and impish personality. She was easily the most memorable and special of Nicholas II's daughters, and people saw this and forgot that she was a disapointment at birth, not being a son.

She certainly did not get treated as a young Elizabeth I when she was a child, because she had not been the hoped for heir. In both cases people were sure that Anne Boleyn and Tsarina Alexandra were having boys. It turned out not to be the case, but both female children grew up to be special, memorable in history although Anastasia never got to fulfill her promise completely. I just thought that was a good comparison.

Offline nene

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2005, 12:48:10 PM »
I think Anastasia must have felt unloved sometimes, whether she actually was or not. She must have felt the full force of her family's disappointment at her gender. Also, with Tatiana being her mother's favourite daughter, Maria being her father's favourite daughter and Alexei being the favourite child overall, Anastasia must have felt terribly unneeded and a sort of third wheel.

Sarastasia

Out of OTMA, it would be the youngest daughter who would have serious historical significance, from her life and from her death. People wanted to learn more about one of the most famous names in history, and there has been a storm of controversy surrounding her death that still lingers to this very day. You gotta love the irony in that.

After all Anastasia means "she will rise again."

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2005, 03:49:58 PM »
Well, it means Resurrection, and is in reference to the Resurrection of Christ, and the feminine form of the male name Anastasios. Anastasia is and was a very common name in Russia.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2005, 11:11:05 AM »
The meaning of the name does seem to tie in with Anastasia's life story, although this was never an intention on her birth. But it is a interesting foot note in History. She recieved her name because a princess of montengro, who had married into the Romanov family, bore this name. Anastasia's name suited her, for she was resurrected by Anna Anderson's claims. And then she was resurrected in the memory of popular culture as being the most famous last of the romanovs, apart from her father and mother.

Offline Mie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2005, 09:12:08 AM »
In Russia, family is and was important generally speaking and I believe tha Anastasyas parent's and sisters loved her really much. They had happy and loving  familylive. But since there was this situation with Alexei, the horror was always present.  And when there was really bad situation and Alexey was in live danger it influeced to other daughetrs and parents too. And parents took care of Alexei moore so I think Anastasya could feel unloved even she knew parents loved her really much.

it's only my thinking..

Somewhere I've red that Anastasia loved her father the best but father faufored Maria.. i wonder if it's true??

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2005, 10:06:46 AM »
I think Nicholas's favorite daughter was Olga, and that Alexandra's favorite daughter was Tatiana. I think Nicholas and Alexandra's favorite child was Tsarvitch Alexei, because they waited so long for his birth, and he was the long awaited heir. Olga was most like Nicholas in temprament, perhaps, and she was the most serious and mature of the girls in some ways. Tatiana was practical and got things done for her mother, thereby taking the pressure off Alexandra.Tatiana was understanding. This could be why these might have been their favorite daughters. Of course Nicholas and Alexandra deeply loved all their children, and Anastasia was never unloved.

Offline nene

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2005, 04:13:40 PM »
The meaning of the name does seem to tie in with Anastasia's life story, although this was never an intention on her birth. But it is a interesting foot note in History. She recieved her name because a princess of montengro, who had married into the Romanov family, bore this name. Anastasia's name suited her, for she was resurrected by Anna Anderson's claims. And then she was resurrected in the memory of popular culture as being the most famous last of the romanovs, apart from her father and mother.

Don't forget Baby (Alexei). He, like big sister Anastasia, too, is considered to be the most famous last of the Romanovs.

Offline Tania+

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2005, 10:20:31 PM »
Mie,

In over 30 years working with individuals, and families who have a loved one with any type of disabling illness, and profound illness[es], especially if a child, it always seems as if all the other children in the family, may be put out of mind sight.

But after speaking with mothers, and fathers, and other family members, I have found that these parents, and family members, usually are very, very strong, and definately courageous individuals, who always seem to pull together when and where needed. There are of course families and individuals who are not able to do this. It is a very trying hardship for all concerned, if not alone for the very individual having to face these monstrous issues.

At the core of all of this what keeps a family strong, is their faith and love in, and between each other. I think that their Imperial Highnesses, and children had all of this and more. These daily added dangers and added difficult stressors, etc., in all combination did not help their lives at all.

But to respond to your initial question did Anastasia feel unloved, no, I honestly do not think she did not feel unloved.

Tatiana

In Russia, family is and was important generally speaking and I believe tha Anastasyas parent's and sisters loved her really much. They had happy and loving  familylive. But since there was this situation with Alexei, the horror was always present.  And when there was really bad situation and Alexey was in live danger it influeced to other daughetrs and parents too. And parents took care of Alexei moore so I think Anastasya could feel unloved even she knew parents loved her really much.

it's only my thinking..

Somewhere I've red that Anastasia loved her father the best but father faufored Maria.. i wonder if it's true??

TatianaA

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2005, 10:42:26 PM »
Of course, I agree that Aleksandra's favorite child was Aleskey, but I think Nikolai favored Olga over the rest of the four. Think of the disappointment Aleksey must have been. Of course, it was nobody's fault, it just happened. I may be wrong, but I think Nikolai thought of Aleksey as an eggshell. You can't touch him or be too rough or hard on him. Nikolai probably felt as if he was in a carriage teetering off the side of the cliff. It could fall over the edge at any moment. Or is that more like Aleksandra? I just thought of this, it's nowhere near perfect.

As for Anastasia, plus OTM, I'm sure they had to feel jealous over all the attention Aleksey got. Imagine yourself, and everyone is saying your sibling is the most important child in the country. How would that make you feel?

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2005, 11:13:18 AM »
Yes they might have been jealous, but from what I have read they were devoted to their brother and loved him dearly as a precious treasure. They did have actual emotions, though.We ought not to idealize them.