The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
July 24, 2014, 06:32:28 PM
460810 Posts in 8929 Topics by 14534 Members
Latest Member: kmk818
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about Russian History
| |-+  Imperial Russian History (Moderators: LisaDavidson, Forum Admin)
| | |-+  genealogy- a semantic/logic question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author
Topic: genealogy- a semantic/logic question  (Read 1363 times)
« on: February 12, 2011, 11:22:41 AM »
Rodney_G. Offline
Knyaz
an angel .....and the best of them Posts: 701

View Profile

In thinking about past Russian Imperial Family members, I was struck by this question or concept. How many[ i]paternal[/i]great grandmothers does one have ? I have one paternal (on my father's side) grandmother , but would I have two paternal great-grandmothers? I guess that's possible but it sounds funny.

Put another way,and making it more tricky, is my father's []maternal[u grandmother   my paternal  great-grandmother? That is, paternal simply because it's through my father's family line?
This was triggered by a Romanov family reference, but it applies to any genealogy, and I wondered what the right word or expression wold be.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 11:28:48 AM by Rodney_G. » Logged

Rodney G.
Reply #1
« on: February 12, 2011, 03:14:34 PM »
Forum Admin Online
Administrator
Velikye Knyaz
www.alexanderpalace.org Posts: 4508

View Profile WWW

It sounds weird, but when you diagram out a family tree, you actually have two Paternal Great Grandmothers.  Your Paternal Grandfather (your Father's Father) had a mother,  Paternal Grandmother One, AND his wife (your Paternal Grandmother) also had a mother, your second Paternal Great Grandmother. Took me a moment to reason this out for you.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 03:35:42 PM by Forum Admin » Logged
Reply #2
« on: February 14, 2011, 11:33:13 AM »
Rodney_G. Offline
Knyaz
an angel .....and the best of them Posts: 701

View Profile

Yes, I'm confident of it by the genetics and logic but it's just the wording of it in English. "My paternal great-grandmother" refers to a particular individual,  of course, but that formulation doesn't preclude there being another one, which obviously there was. I guess there's a natural linguistic or semantic analogy to what's going on when we say, for instance, "my mother", of whom there is definitely only one.

Rodney G.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: