Author Topic: The Hesse-Cassel family  (Read 132738 times)

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
Re: The Hesse-Cassel family
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2005, 10:22:16 AM »
From the Winterhalter portrait one can clearly see that Vicky's opinion of Anna was fairly on target. even allowing for the healthy dose of gloss that the painter bestows upon his sitters, Anna is depicted as a beautiful and fashionable woman.  In another thread in which, much to Thomas' consternation I mistakenly attributed this painting to Pcss Anna of Hesse, I remarked upon the resemblance to Alice - does anyone else see it?
Anna in this portrait is extremely alluring; the pose leaning over the chair back is a tried and tested one that one sees frequently in paintings of this era and is always appealing.  Her hands clasped together suggest a thoughtful, reflective woman, her serious gaze directed to the viewer.  By contrast her attire is diaphanous, romantic and suggestive of a woman who takes the utmost care of her appearance.  Don't be deceived by the clouds of tulle and the seemingly carelessly looped pearls at her throat and wrist.  Her toilette is the 'dernier cri' in fashion, and her alleged fondness for decollete and ample skirts very much in evidence.  Her hair is immaculately coiffed without looking too dressed; indeed the whole efect is one of studied negligence, a woman sure of her powers of attraction and with yet an active mind.
I am trying to obtain a colour copy of this portrait but I do know that her dress is in fact one of those fragile confections from the late 1850's, early 1860's that do not survive in costume collections.  It would appear to be composed of white silk tulle over a pink foundation, either silk taffeta or satin duchesse; the fur trimmed pelisse or mantle is I think blue and the careless way in which such an expensive article of clothing is draped over the chair is entirely in keeping with the aristocratic atmosphere 'de luxe' that the painter is at pains to convey.
This such a beguiling image of a princess; who would not be happy to be thus depicted?  What prince, on being shown this portrait, could fail to be enchanted?
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2005, 11:24:37 AM »
martyn,  what about the Winterhalter book that came out in the 70s - a huge book.  
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

bluetoria

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2005, 11:36:57 AM »
Yes Martyn...I agree. I hadn't noticeduntil you pointeditout but she DOES look a bit like Alice...do you think it's the shape of the nose and the way she holds her head? The mouth is very different!

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2005, 02:49:17 PM »
It is a lovely image indeed--as are many Winterhalter. I LOVE his paintings, my romantic nature I suppose. I once read a book on his work and just sighed over every one.

Anna does seem very pretty with a lovely, soft expression. Like Martyn I would love to see a color image of this painting. It just has a very appealing lushness to it. I thought I saw a resemblance to Alice but also to Alexandra Iosofovna.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2005, 05:41:07 PM »
martyn,  what about the Winterhalter book that came out in the 70s - a huge book.  

Which book do you mean?  Do you mean 'Franz Xaver Winterhalter and the Courts of Europe 1830 - 1870' by Richard Ormond and Carol Blackett-Ord?
Or is there another publication of his works?

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2005, 05:46:05 PM »
It is a lovely image indeed--as are many Winterhalter. I LOVE his paintings, my romantic nature I suppose. I once read a book on his work and just sighed over every one.

Anna does seem very pretty with a lovely, soft expression. Like Martyn I would love to see a color image of this painting. It just has a very appealing lushness to it. I thought I saw a resemblance to Alice but also to Alexandra Iosofovna.

GDElla I have made enquiries to try to obtain a colour copy of this painting; I will let you know if I am successful. I really love this portrait, for me it is the essence of Winterhalter. I should also really try to find out alitle more about the sitter;Vicky's comments about Anna's love of fashion has interested me.
And do you know what, there is a look of Alexandra Iosifovna about her.....

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2005, 07:43:47 PM »

"Which book do you mean?  Do you mean 'Franz Xaver Winterhalter and the Courts of Europe 1830 - 1870' by Richard Ormond and Carol Blackett-Ord?
Or is there another publication of his works?"

Yes.  That's the one.  Saw the exhibit in London in the late 80s.

By the way,  I just found a color portrait.    I have a scanner, but I don't have a website

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2005, 09:32:37 AM »
As I said in a previous post. I have a color image of the Winterhalter painting of Anna of Hesse.   I have a scanner, but not a clue how to post.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2005, 09:47:41 AM »
There are 2 options:

If you scan it you can either send it to someone on the group to post for you. I'd be happy to and I know others would as well. The FA does it but he's busy and doesn't pounce as quickly as us!  :)

Or you can open a photobucket account which allows you to scan pictures and upload them to the account. Once they're uploaded they're assigned an URL . You click on the button above which looks like a postcard which gives you this:

You just cut and paste the url between the 2.

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2005, 10:06:03 AM »
thanks.  I've just e-mailed it to you.   it was published in a guide book for Schloss Fasanerie.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2005, 12:38:30 PM »
thanks.  I've just e-mailed it to you.   it was published in a guide book for Schloss Fasanerie.

Here is the portrait (thanks Marlene for sending it!)

Agneschen

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2005, 02:27:54 PM »
Fantastic Marlene & GDella ! Thank you so much !!

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2005, 02:44:32 PM »
Thanks GDElla.  It would be nice to try to find a better image of it than that.  Still, it gives us an idea of the colouring that I described.  Thanks again.

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2005, 03:14:54 PM »
Agneschen

You are very welcome.  I knew I had seen the painting - so I looked through a few less obvious places - including the guidebook for Schloss Fasanerie.

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2005, 03:42:37 PM »
GDElla do you have any more info on Anna of Preussen?  You are usually pretty well up on everyone!