Author Topic: burial Alexei and Maria, children of Nicholas II  (Read 7318 times)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
burial Alexei and Maria, children of Nicholas II
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:56:16 AM »
A message has just been issued by the Royal Russia website that if authorisation does not come from President Medvedev that the last two children can be buried in the Royal vault at Ss Peter and Paul Cathedral in St Petersburg, the remains could end up in a common grave in a Moscow cemetery!
I think this is disgraceful and I wonder if a petition from this group can be sent to the President so that the last two children can rest in peace with their parents and other sisters?

aleksandr pavlovich

Re: burial Alexei and Maria, children of Nicholas II
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 10:45:09 AM »
   Hello, Alan!  As to your thought (in your initial posting) about a "petition," IMO, I regret to say that many members on here, while good intentioned, do NOT constitute anywhere NEAR anything other than a miniscule echo of a squeak of a voice when it comes to attempting the influencing of the Russian Federation political decisions. They have much more enormous "fish to fry." It is THEIR country and THEIR decision/s.  Though I have not seen the specific message to which you refer, I think that the "threat" to deposit the two remaining siblings in some common grave would be someone's "yellow journalism" at best, put out with a not-too-subtle hidden agenda. The Russians are FAR more sensitive about their history than that!
   Certainly, they will go to the Peter and Paul Fortress in the Russian government's good time.  I DO NOT look forward to some expensive (it's always monetary, isn't it?) production.  The FIRST burial wasn't the "show-stopper," or as well publicly-attended as the western press expected it would be.  After all, Nicholas II, et al., was buried as an EX-Emperor (different gun salute), since he had abdicated.  Though the legitimacy of Nicholas' abdication for his Heir as well, has been rightly/soundly questioned, IMO the Heir will be buried as the HEIR, NOT accorded an Emperor's tribute.
   As the seemingly-sincere person that I am sure that you are, if you specifically wish to do something when arrangements ARE formally announced, why not visit St. Petersburg and view the parade route? Attendance within the Cathedral will absolutely be by invitation only----it is smaller inside than one would think, and security is paramount.  Saint Petersburg is a gorgeous city, with history at every turn; indeed, one of my very favorite places to visit!  Regards,  AP.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 11:16:29 AM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 10:04:20 PM »
...The FIRST burial wasn't the "show-stopper," or as well publicly-attended as the western press expected it would be.....
from the videos on You Tube, I'd say  the 1998 internment  looked very good! Very dignified and heartfelt...In good time I expect the children will rest with the rest of the family. Their place is already  and waiting

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline RHB

• Boyar
  • Four Sisters Always Remembered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:11:45 PM »
I agree with that! I'm glad they left two spaces open since there are two missing from the group! I hope, given time that Maria and Alexei can join the rest of their family physically as well as spiritually which in my opinion they already have of course! Nice picture by the way!
<-- GDAndrea

Live and Die together!

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 07:25:17 PM »
I don't understand all this foot dragging.  DNA has proven who these bodies are, so why not bury them with the rest of the family?
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline EmmyLee

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 08:04:46 PM »
How much time is Pres. Medvedev being given to make this authorization?

Here's the link:
http://www.angelfire.com/pa/ImperialRussian/news/292news.html
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 08:07:00 PM by EmmyLee »

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 01:26:29 AM »
Yeah, why all the bureaucracy?  This is crazy.
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Alixz

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 09:48:47 AM »
I knew that I had read about this as well as Alan.  

Thank you EmmyLee for the link to Paul Gilbert's site.  I am on his notification list as a lot of members from AP Forum are and that is how we get a lot of information about what is going on in Russia.

I agree that the Russians have so much more to worry about than the burial of the remains of the last two Romanovs to be found.  But on the other hand if they are of so little importance, then why not just bury them and get it over with?

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 12:50:35 PM »
In the past year I have seen calls to remove and  retest those of the family already in St. Peter and Paul's....because so and so is not convinced they are Romanovs! ....so it's not surprising the last two are kept waiting. It took Boris Yeltsin, Russia's leader at the time , insistence to get those  five family members  and thier four compainons   a religious service and a proper resting place. So it took the highest officer of the land to move it forward. And it's because , again thanks to Yeltsin, there is a spot waiting for them, that I am hopeful they will be placed there in time.  I've learned to take the long view...when I first was interested in the family it was thought they would never be found, there was nothing left to be found, ...or  would we ever know  what actually happened....so to me where we are now is  progress.

It's so strange for me this is heating up right now because the current painting I'm completing  is of the three eldest girls dressed for KR's 1915 funeral. And the accompanying video , I link  KR's funeral with the 1998 one and it ends with the hope of the last two will join the family soon. Of course"  soon"  is a relative term....but's it's something everyone who loves the family wants of course , because it's all the Romanov's have ever wanted : to be together

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna