Author Topic: Keibel  (Read 5733 times)

Offline malae5

• View Profile
Keibel
« on: March 14, 2011, 04:27:27 PM »
Hello all,

I'm an older member and long time reader but first time poster.  I've been collecting antiques for quite some time and recently purchased a gold knife with inset diamonds and rubies.  I thought the item was Turkish but on closer inspection it has a very small stamp marked Keibel with an imperial double headed eagle. 

I checked and Keibel was a goldsmith and Imperial maker of mainly snuff boxes and orders. Are there any books on Keibel or any books on Imperial russian items in the Islamic style? I have tried to find some and mainly they are on Faberge but not the firm of Keibel.

any help in the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Mala

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
Re: Keibel
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 09:23:12 AM »
I can only tell you this much, from Postinkova-Lyoseva's definitive guidebook to Russian Gold and Silver work of the 15th-20th Centuries:

Otto Samuel Keibel was a jeweler, and master silversmith in St Petersburg, from around 1797-1809 when he died.  His son Johann Wilhelm Keibel continued the work, and was awarded the Imperial Warrant from 1836-1841.  The firm "Keibel" continued to operate until 1910.

Offline Russian Art Lover

• View Profile
    • RusArtNet
Re: Keibel
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 07:27:17 AM »
Otto Samuel Keibel was born in 1768 in Prussia and died in 1809 in St Petersburg. He became a guild jeweller in St Petersburg (1797) and an alderman (180809). His work was continued by his son and apprentice Johann Wilhelm Keibel. Johann Wilhelm was regarded as one of the finest silversmiths in St Petersburg and created the Russian imperial crown of 1826. When Carlo Rossi designed the chapel of the Mikhailovsky Palace, he commissioned all the silver ornaments from Johann Wilhelm Keibel in 1825, including sumptuous Gospel covers and a silver basin for holy water (designed as an ancient crater). Keibel also produced other items in the Mikhailovsky Palace, which were originally designed by Carlo Rossi (as you may know, when designing the state interiors of the palace, Rossi planned all the furnishings down to the very last detail). This included an Empire-style mirror in a silver gilt frame (181925), which belonged to Grand Duchess Elena Pavlova and hung alongside the bronze gilt table in her dressing room in the palace. Keibel used almost 10 kg of silver to make the frame!

Edit: The work you describe sounds like it was made by father Otto Samuel Keibel, rather than son. The jewels often contained a hidden, sentimental meaning. For example, I have seen a gold almond-shaped snuff box, made by Otto Samuel Keibel in St Petersburg in the early nineteenth century, with a row of twenty gemstones on the lid amethyst, malachite, jasper, topaz, jasper, emerald, and sign, ruby, emerald, chrysopras, opal, two nephrite stones, opal, jasper, two sapphires, amethyst, nephrite, chrysopras and emerald. The first letters of each stone spell out a message in French amitie & reconnoissance (friendship and gratitude).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 07:35:14 AM by Russian Art Lover »
www.rusartnet.com
The Premier Site for Russian Culture