Author Topic: Re: portraits (paintings) of Nikolai II Aleksandrovich #2  (Read 105287 times)

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: portraits (paintings) of Nikolai II Aleksandrovich #2
« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2014, 03:40:21 AM »
Nice irony there!

Ann

Offline Alexandre Mikhaelovitch

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • Royal Russia
« Reply #121 on: February 06, 2014, 07:51:37 AM »
Isn't it  ? !!! Ah ah !! :D

Offline Inok Nikolai

• Graf
  • Irkutsk, Russia 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2014, 10:27:48 AM »
Portrait of Lenin Reveals Hidden Portrait of Tsar Nicholas II !!!!

Here the article from Paul Gilbert blog , Royal Russia : http://www.angelfire.com/pa/ImperialRussian/blog/index.blog/1453090/portrait-of-lenin-reveals-hidden-portrait-of-tsar-nicholas-ii/

A clarification:

The portrait of Tsar Nicholas II was not discovered under the painting of Lenin, but rather on the other side of the canvas.

Originally the Tsar's portrait had been the front side. After the Revolution, his portrait was covered in plain paint, the canvas turned around, and Lenin's portrait was then painted on what had been the back of the canvas.

Recently, while restoring Lenin's portrait, the restorers noticed the toe of a boot poking out from under the blank coat of paint on the "back" (front) of the canvas.
Cleaning revealed the original painting of Tsar Nicholas II.
Lenin's portrait is still intact on the other side.

They plan to preserve both portraits and frame it in such a way that both are visible -- as a sort of memorial or commentary on the times.
инок Николай

Offline edubs31

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 06, 2014, 11:50:15 AM »
Portrait of Lenin Reveals Hidden Portrait of Tsar Nicholas II !!!!

Here the article from Paul Gilbert blog , Royal Russia : http://www.angelfire.com/pa/ImperialRussian/blog/index.blog/1453090/portrait-of-lenin-reveals-hidden-portrait-of-tsar-nicholas-ii/

A clarification:

The portrait of Tsar Nicholas II was not discovered under the painting of Lenin, but rather on the other side of the canvas.

Originally the Tsar's portrait had been the front side. After the Revolution, his portrait was covered in plain paint, the canvas turned around, and Lenin's portrait was then painted on what had been the back of the canvas.

Recently, while restoring Lenin's portrait, the restorers noticed the toe of a boot poking out from under the blank coat of paint on the "back" (front) of the canvas.
Cleaning revealed the original painting of Tsar Nicholas II.
Lenin's portrait is still intact on the other side.

They plan to preserve both portraits and frame it in such a way that both are visible -- as a sort of memorial or commentary on the times.

Interesting. I'm amazed how cleaning up a portrait that's been covered in paint for decades can be brought back to life in such a way.

Far as I'm concerned Lenin's likeness can remain on the backside and covered for the next, oh, 95-100 years. But that's just me.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 06, 2014, 05:05:44 PM »
What are the patches on the canvas. Are they old patches where holes were in the canvas prior to being painted with Lenin's portrait? Was the canvas sliced at some point?

Offline Inok Nikolai

• Graf
  • Irkutsk, Russia 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 06, 2014, 05:21:44 PM »
What are the patches on the canvas. Are they old patches where holes were in the canvas prior to being painted with Lenin's portrait? Was the canvas sliced at some point?

The patches are parts of the paint which had been covering the painting. They have been left there temporarily as reference points for the restorers.

The school authorities couldn't remember themselves for certain, but years ago a student either fell against the painting and tore the bottom, or hit it with something.

Recently, when they began to repair that tear, they discovered the portrait of Tsar Nicholas II on the other side.
инок Николай

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2014, 05:23:59 PM »
Thank you Inok Nikolai for the clarification! I appreciate it. What a great discovery of historical importance.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 07, 2014, 03:31:19 AM »
This is all very interesting. While I'm no fan of Lenin, I like the idea of preserving and displaying both portrraits as a commentary on the times. And to complete the job, they had better keep some of the white paint and show the restoration process as well.

Ann

Offline Maria Sisi

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2014, 08:40:15 PM »
Nicholas and Family 1903. Zichy

arthermitage.org

Nicholas and Alexandra. Zichy

Nicholas II and author near the tree, on which Alexander III carved the letter " A ". Zichy
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:06:35 PM by Maria Sisi »

Offline Maria Sisi

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 15, 2014, 07:30:49 PM »
Nicholas II as a child. 1883 Tuxen

1884 Tuxen.

National Historical Museum, Frederiksborg, Hillerod
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 07:33:45 PM by Maria Sisi »

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #130 on: October 03, 2014, 06:27:24 AM »
I suppose this is meant to be a scene from the Ipatiev House

Offline edubs31

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2014, 10:50:12 PM »
I suppose this is meant to be a scene from the Ipatiev House

Nice painting, but if the Ipatiev is the artist's intent they don't relatively portray Alexei here. It appears Alexandra is holding a little boy in this picture. 13-year old Alexei was much taller than this.

Aside from that I like the way the artist seems to capture the emotion of the period. Despair, stress and boredom for the imperial family while held at the House of Special Purpose.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2014, 03:29:10 AM »
Good point. Alexei was by then almost 14, and, to judge from photographs taken at Tobolsk, nearly as tall as his father, so around 5ft 4 - 5ft 5.

Ann

Offline KarinK

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2014, 04:59:58 AM »
Nice painting, but if the Ipatiev is the artist's intent they don't relatively portray Alexei here. It appears Alexandra is holding a little boy in this picture. 13-year old Alexei was much taller than this.

Going to the source, the Russian text seems to say "eve of arrest." This doesn't look like it's meant to be a very accurate portrayal of a location, more like something that evokes the mood of captivity, but I'd guess that it's the Alexander Palace because of the large room.

In general, modern paintings and icons tend to portray Maria, Anastasia and Alexei as looking noticeably younger than in their 1917 photos.

Offline edubs31

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 10, 2014, 08:18:18 PM »

Going to the source, the Russian text seems to say "eve of arrest." This doesn't look like it's meant to be a very accurate portrayal of a location, more like something that evokes the mood of captivity, but I'd guess that it's the Alexander Palace because of the large room.

In general, modern paintings and icons tend to portray Maria, Anastasia and Alexei as looking noticeably younger than in their 1917 photos.

And in that sense the painting is a winner in my opinion. Certainly the mood and tension come through.