Author Topic: King Paul & Queen Frederika (nee Hannover) of Greece  (Read 190364 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: King Paul & Queen Frederika (nee Hannover) of Greece
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2005, 10:56:21 PM »
at christening of Alexia (I think) with Constantine II, Anne-Marie and Frederick IX and Queen Ingrid of Denmark (AM's parents)

(Ingrid was daughter of Daisy of Connaught)
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2005, 03:13:34 AM »
nice pictures!

i hered that frederika tried to bring legal action against prince petros for publicly denoncing her at some stage but i dont no if this is true does anyone no?

Offline cimbrio

• Knyaz
  • Für Ludwig II
    • View Profile
    • GonDan's Royalty Family Trees
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2005, 05:34:35 AM »
Queen Fredricka is fairly respected in Spain though, where her daughter Sophia lives now; apparently Sophia wanted to leave Juan Carlos I when she learned of an affair he was having with someone else. According to Spanish gossip, Fredricka told Sophia "You can't leave him. You've made your choice, you're already married, now you're staying there. However, Juan Carlos and Sophia seem to me a very loving couple who above all and under any circumstance show their unity, and are thus one of the most popular monarchs in Spanish history.

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2005, 11:07:41 AM »
sofia though not as beautifull as her mother an sister has frederika's smile. they were obviously very close as mother an daughter. freddie must have known that sofia could use her furter position as queen to her advantidge so she should stay with Juan. frederika and paul put on a successful united front even with pauls afair and illigitamait chiled.

Offline Iskenderbey

• Boyar
  • Zito o Vasileus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2005, 12:27:40 PM »
Regarding the so called rumours!

King Pavlos was killed in a gunfight with his equary officer Levidis, not before killing the second. The reasons were said to be of a... personal nature. They both physically disappeared from public view at the same time.
It was announced that king Pavlos died of cancer.
He was in a hospital but no one of the public ever saw him. There were no pictures what so ever published anywhere during his "sickness". Anyone who has any photos of the time will do me a service to post them!!
News were published of people--namely his grand daughter from Spain--visiting him at his death bed. Pictures were published in the press of this grand daughter but not of the King!
The funeral casket was never in open display!!
No one of the press or public ever saw the King dead!
These are rather facts!!
Conclusion/rumour: The king died during or soon after his gunfight. He was buried days before an official funeral was held. His public funeral casket contained no body of his! Full of sandbags or not, it was buried 15-20 days after the real death.
Of course, any not doctored, publicized pictures would convince any rumour mongers that they are wrong!
Are there any such pictures???

It has been a while since this post was posted, but I finally find some time to answer it.
Most of these rumors that you posted are utterly false and ridiculous.
The King's illness was a steady decline due to the disease of cancer. There were many pictures taken of him during his illness, witnessed by many members of the public, and political figures of the time.
For instance, a few weeks before his death, he appears, very ill and barely able to walk/talk, to swear in the G. Papandreou government which won elections in February 1964.
He is pictured a week before his death in Tourkolimano, Pireaus, a personal request of his that he be driven down to this, his favorite greek port.
His granddaughter, who you mention, was 3 months old at the time of her grandfather's death, and she is pictured sitting on the late King's lap, with Queen Frederica standing above them.
In most state/royal/official funerals, no casket is EVER open. It is common practice.
Recent Examples:
President Reagan of the U.S.,
Queen Mother of Britain,
Grand Duchess of Luxemburg,
Prime Minister Andreas Papandreou
Melina Mercouri,
etc. etc. etc.
An open or not casket is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
The "public" saw the King dead, represented by the officials of the Greek Government at the time, led by George Papandreou, then Prime Minister.
The Prime Minister's certification of the King's death is proof enough.  Did we need his body dragged through the streets inorder to prove his death???

At the end of the day, this issue is ridiculous and ludicrous. These rumours were made and still remain perpetrated by close-minded and ill-educated people, who still try to drag the Royal Family's name through the mud.
Quite hypocritical as well.  Let us praise the late monarch, in order to sling mud at his family.

Regards

Offline Iskenderbey

• Boyar
  • Zito o Vasileus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2005, 12:30:34 PM »
Let me also add, that cancer ran through the genes of the late King Pavlos.
His grandmother, Empress Frederick of Germany (Princess Victoria of Great Britain) and his mother, Queen Sofia of Greece, both died of cancer, and around the same age as King Pavlos.

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2005, 02:02:17 PM »
but he did seem to contract and die of cancer in a very short space of time. maybe it could be put down to the medical knowledge at the time.

do you no where i can see any of these pictures

Offline Iskenderbey

• Boyar
  • Zito o Vasileus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2005, 12:05:21 PM »
but he did seem to contract and die of cancer in a very short space of time. maybe it could be put down to the medical knowledge at the time.

do you no where i can see any of these pictures

It seems King Pavlos was ill for a couple of months beforehand, at least by November of 1963. He had a few operations to remove tumors, but only the last operation did not go well (in terms of being able to remove the cancer totally) and the disease went rapidly after that.  
The picture of Infanta Elena on her grandfather's lap is in "La Reina" by Pilar Urbano.  I have his last known picture in a book but I do not have a scanner.
The February 1964 swearing in of G. Papandreou should be found over the internet.
I wish I had a scanner to send to post them, but unfortunately I do not.
Regards

Offline Iskenderbey

• Boyar
  • Zito o Vasileus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2005, 12:06:12 PM »
Also, I forgot to post, yes, remember this was 1963-1964, cancer treatment was not at all as we know it today.  If you think even today it is not advanced, imagine 40 years ago!

Regards

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2005, 03:11:08 PM »
you can find some info on that book by cliking my profile and following the link to my website  ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by frederika »

Offline Iskenderbey

• Boyar
  • Zito o Vasileus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2005, 02:44:20 PM »
Hello!
I know presently at ebay (www.ebay.com), someone is selling a copy of the book.  Search under "Queen Greece" and it will come up.  

Also, try amazon, they sometimes have it on backorder.  Obviously also try Arturo Beeche's site, he should also have it.
Regards!

Offline Iskenderbey

• Boyar
  • Zito o Vasileus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 03, 2005, 10:42:31 AM »
Iskenderbey:  Thank you so much for the tip.  I've placed a bid on the e-bay book.  Let us see now.  This is the first time I've been able to find out anything about Frederika since I left Greece in 1963.  It's like finding the pieces of a puzzle.  Maki

Maki,

I am sure you will be able to find more information on the late Queen on this board as well, as there are numerous threads on her.

Also, look into buying Lilika Papanicolaou's book, "Queen Frederica: Mission of a Modern Queen".
It is the authorized biography by one of the late Queens lady in waiting (kyries ths timhs).
It is another excellent book detailing the Queen's life and works, especially during and after the civil war.

Let me know if I can be of any more help,

Stavros

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2005, 04:20:52 PM »
does anyone no anything about the ship the queen frederica that was named after her?

Offline Maki

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2005, 05:52:21 PM »
Stavro, I have to thank you so much for your tips on the two books.  I did win A Measure of Understanding on e-Bay, and am finding it so very moving that I have to put it down once in a while just to collect myself.  If the Russian family was sainted (and our Greek priest said that, yes, they were), it seems to me that Frederika is certainly a candidate for sainthood as well.  Her lifelong quest for peace, her extreme dedication, her willingness to suffer the way she did because it was her "job"...all these things, and the smiling happy spirit which lay beneath them, are saintly in my mind.  I was also able to get a copy of the biography.  I haven't read it yet, but did note that one of Queen Frederika's charities was the Alexandras Clinic in Athens (with a statue out front of I Ellinida Mitera), where my son was born.

Offline Maki

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 24, 2005, 03:49:20 PM »
Frederika, are you referring to the ship mentioned in "A Measure of Understanding"?  ("A Greek shipowner, Mr. Eugenides...asked me if I would visit his ocean liner and give it my name."
Maki