Author Topic: King Paul & Queen Frederika (nee Hannover) of Greece  (Read 159162 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: King Paul & Queen Frederika (nee Hannover) of Greece
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2005, 12:20:17 PM »
You need a online photo storage account of some kind (many of us here use photobucket.com which is free). You upload your photos to that (it's easy). Once that's done or if you already have an account of some sort:

1) press the button above that looks like a postcard (that's the add image button)
2) this will give you
3) just insert the URL you're given at your photobucket (or other) account in between the  2 sets of brackets
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by grandduchessella »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2005, 08:06:49 AM »
thanks for that info

i dont beleve frederika was a nazi coming from a german background my self i no that a lot of people seem no think u are a nazi people need to unterstand that the german people are no responsable fpr the crimes of adolf hitler. as for frederika she was by no meens a saint but was misunderstood like Marie Anttoinett of even Tsarina Alix

Offline darius

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2005, 08:46:51 AM »
Re. THe death of Frederika - she was apparently undergoing surgery to remove cataracts secretly in Madrid going under the knife of King Juan Carlos´s brother-in-law and died under the anaesthetic. Rumours abounded that she was actually having a face-lift at the time.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2005, 09:37:24 AM »
Although I never knew or met the woman, my grandmother [who was a strange bird in her own right] had some odd feelings about her. Apparently they knew each other quite well, which makes sense to me as  they [my grandparents] were firm Greek monarchists.  Grandmother would speak fondly of Frederika one time, then rail against her another day. I think she liked her personally, but had something against her politics perhaps.  My feelings for my grandmother, however, were unequivocal, I disliked her intensely so didn't pay much attention to what she was saying about anybody.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2005, 10:12:29 AM »
yes she died age 64 which was quite tragic i heard she was poisond or purpusly killed in some sort of surgary in spain

p.s can some one tell me how to put images on here

She suffered a heart attack while undergoing surgery in Madrid.
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2005, 10:14:39 AM »
My consort had met her as a child. She certainly possessed all the public relations attributes that fit a queen! (unlike her husband who, even as a king, could hardly speak the language of his subjects).
However, half of the Greeks were against kings and royalty by conviction through upbringing.
She was also of German descent and this certainly did not help either (not with the Greeks of W W II)!
So, there you have most of it!
One more reason: Because of her husband's inclinations, apparently she was quite active in Greek political life, even if behind the scenes. Such does not still sit well with many men, of that region or in general!
She died rather early, although by then she probably had plenty of opportunities to show what she was really made of.

You've hit on most of it .. being German did not help, but she was devoted to Greece and the Greek people with the establishment of charities, one being the help and aid the children kidnapped by communists.  She also could be forthright, steely, determined and she didn't suffer fools gladly.
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2005, 10:23:10 AM »
A royal cousin of the late Greek Queen described her thus to me not long ago: "Freddie was born 50 years too late. In the 1890's she would have been a fabulous royal, but at the time she lived, we were in decay and many of her ideas just did not fit in.  She was tough, had extremely strong opinions, a piece of work even, but she wanted to protect Palo and the children as much as possible.  I have always believed she should have given Tino more space to develop.  is she guilty for the calamity of 67?  I would dare say that perhaps she is, not the only one mind you, but maybe if she had absented herself from Greece after Palo's death, politicians would not have used her figure to attack Tino.  all quite terribly sad if you ask me."

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2005, 11:22:15 AM »
yes al you say is sadly true i think freddy was her own wurst enemy in the end her meddling in politics was her down fall.

reading her book i get the feeling Palo was quite a shy and weak man he was certanly no match for freddy. she states quite proudly that she oftern gave what she called helpful advice to politions.

as for the face lift i herd rumers that it was a early form of plastic surgary. you can see in photos that she aged badly. she did some lectures at Madras univercity in the 1970s maybe she wanted to look more youthul at them.  

you can imagen that surgen never worked again! :-/

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by frederika »

Offline Iskenderbey

• Boyar
  • Zito o Vasileus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2005, 03:42:11 PM »
If I dare say, Greeks, at least Greek men up until the 60s were very chauvinistic, in particular to any woman who possibly who might have had some intelligence and some opinions of her own.  
Frederika was used as a scapegoat by the politicians for their own failings.
Sure she was a dominant person and strong opinionated, but she was also the women who was on the front line against the communist insurgents in Koritza, and directly appealed to the west for help against the insurgency, etc. etc.
How coincidential that Frederika was condemned after her husband had passed, and quite hypocritical as well.
Please, the man used to walk into a room and the whole floor would shake.

Alas, pardon my outrage, but as a firm Greek monarchist, I am outraged by some of these comments and myths perpetrated by no good greek opportunist politicians.  I remember recently, when Constantine set up the Anna-Maria foundation, some politician had the gall to state in an ironic fashion, "I remember his mother had such a foundation as well."  There are plenty of people still alive that can attest to the good Frederika's foundations did for the greek populace.  The hypocrisy of it irks me!

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2005, 10:50:43 AM »
Greek politicians, not the nicest or most honest of people, ever, did not like Frederica because they knew she took part in consultations with Paul.  The left hated her because of the role she had played against them during the civil war in the late 1940s.

Frederica was not a demon, just a forceful person, who, unfortunately, had the propensity to get herself in the middle of arguments, many of which perhaps she should have kept out of...a nosy Nadine...

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com

Offline vitos

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2005, 12:09:19 PM »
I want to know the in-depth biography the Queen FREDERIKA
RECOMMEND, please, literature on the Queen FREDERIKA

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2005, 12:42:52 PM »
You should read A Measure of understanding 1971 her aurtobiography it is an exilent book if you want to no about freddie the person she deffends her self well and gives some quite convincing evedence against the Nazi claims i am in the middle of reading this book. If you want to now about history and politics you will find it rather triveal. here are a lot of amusing storeys but she does go on about her and her husband king paul and about how in love they were its al a bit sentimental when you think of her and pauls aledged unfaithulness to each other. there is also a lot about phillosophy science and religon she has also used a lot of letters to and from her friends to show her in a very posotive light you dont get the idea than she was a forsful and domenering women but you do get a huge sence of her wit charm and interlect.

Try also no ordanery Crown about king Paul

or The rape of greece 1994 for a very negative view on frederika
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by frederika »

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2005, 12:59:53 PM »
A Measure of Understanding is a nice book...a little too philsophical at times though.  There is also the book on Frederica written by her friend and lady-in-waiting, Lilika Papanikolau.

Arturo Beéche
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Eurohistory »
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com

Offline vitos

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2005, 01:33:25 PM »
WHAT ITEM the QUEEN FREDERIKA In April 1967
April 18 1967-50 YEARS ANNIVERSARY the QUEEN
21 Aprils REVOLUTION
THAT she(it) WROTE ABOUT IT In THE MEMOIRS

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2005, 02:24:54 PM »
what was the name of frederika's friends book?

there was one i saw on amazon a while ago called Frederika and the making of modern greece 1990