Author Topic: King Paul & Queen Frederika (nee Hannover) of Greece  (Read 179217 times)

Offline Iskenderbey

• Boyar
  • Zito o Vasileus!
    • View Profile
Re: King Paul & Queen Frederika (nee Hannover) of Greece
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2005, 02:38:31 PM »
However, Frederika did not like that and instead she actively participated in her husband's efforts during the civil war, which, as you pointedly say, she should have been home.

Arturo Beéche

Arturo,
I hope you realized I was being sarcastic, that the Greeks would have probably prefered the Queen being stuck home cooking instead of speaking her mind and  in the trenches fighting for her nation and her people.  (Your message sounded like you didn't catch my sarcasm)
I'm a proud Hellene, but sometimes my people's chauvinist attitude and political hypocrisy disgusts me.
Regards,

Stavros Skenderis

Offline Iskenderbey

• Boyar
  • Zito o Vasileus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2005, 02:49:00 PM »
I haven't read much about Frederika, but remember a big diplomatic scandal in sixties London when she was chased down a street in broad daylight for some unknown reason, ripping her stockings, black eyes, the lot. It was in the papers for days.

I also read she spent her last years in India having renounced all the trappings of royalty.

The incident occurred while the Queen was with her daughter Irene for the wedding of Princess Alexandra of Kent (her mother Marina being a Greek Princess).  There was a protest by leftists, headed by a woman named Betty Ambiatelos, against Greece's so called imprisonment of political prisoners.  Mind you, there were only about 500-1000 political prisoners left in Greece, compared to the early 50s, of which it had not been the rightist government who had imprisoned them, but the center-left government of the late 40s early 50s.  Mrs. Ambiatelos husband was one of these prisoners.  
This episode would cause unrest in Greece, who felt angry at another smack in the face by the British (Cyprus issue was very hot back then). It also lead to the eventual resignation of Prime Minister Karamanlis, when the following year, he protested the King and Queen's official visit to Britain at the invitation of Queen Elizabeth II, citing the Cyprus difficulties and fear of another protest such as the one that occurred at the Kent wedding.  The King felt he could not offend Queen Elizabeth and decided to go anyway.  Karamanlis resigned, leading to the eventual electoral victory of the centrist forces under Prime Minister George Papandreou in late 1963.  
One of the first acts of Papandreou was to release the remaining political prisoners, including Mr. Ambiatelos.

Regards

Offline Reaper_the_pure

• He who is content with the least is rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2005, 12:10:44 PM »
I heard she died as a hippy who spent most her time in India in later years.  She was very unpopular always, with no natural charisma unlike Alexander I for example.  Someone once told me Greeks hated Frederika and then the Nazis!  Her relationship with the far right in Germany was always extremely blurred and probably for a good reason.  I don't think being a woman has anything to do with it as Greeks love their passionate women of power as countless figures have shown.

However she was 'obviously' german which was unattractive after two nasty World Wars, power hungry - not always an agreeable asset to the masses, Ugly - not much to do with anything, but just another bit of hatred to add to the pile and Frigid.  

Perhaps, in my opinion, a figure that was so damaging to Greece's former Monarchy, she single handedly ended it forever and hatred for her lives on through her children who are guilty of only being her off-spring, but so much is the hatred, - that is enough for them to be instantly dismissed by many greeks.

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2005, 04:06:41 PM »
Fridgid, ugly, no charisma!

i dont agree one bit!

Frederika was a beautifful, pasonate, inteligent and charismatic women. But she was german, strong wiled and domenering she also controlled her son and husband.

But i agree she did have a hand in ending the monarchy.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by frederika »

Offline TJ Jones

• Boyar
  • I'll never be regular here... *cries*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2005, 05:17:16 PM »
Ok now I'm a 14 year old boy, and when I saw that magazine cover with Queen Frederika with that low cut gown, and that sexy seductive look she had. I was like DAYUM shes hott. How could anybody call that woman ugly?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Moonlight_Densetsu »
Rule TJ! TJ rules the waves, TJ will never, never, never, eat mayonnaise!

Offline Reaper_the_pure

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2005, 05:49:41 PM »
LOL you are still young and probably got no hormones yet, here is your famous time magazine, LOL

Some other pics of her earlier in the 50s

There used to be a picture of her in her Nazi youth outfit but i think someone took it off, when she was at school in Italy she famously bored the other Italian kids to death angrily stating that only the Germans can claim to be the master race!

Like her cousin prince Philip, she was famed for 'putting her foot in it', however unfortuantely unlike Prince Philip the stupid statements were usually directed against Greece, one of my favorites and most famous of hers in  India (itis long and very funny but the final line is the one that is gold);

‘You are fortunate to inherit such knowledge. I envy you. While Greece is the country of my birth, India is the country of my soul.’

This speech becomes even more impressive when you realise she was actually born in Blankenburg, Harz, Germany, but i think she was pretty much out of it when she gave this , 'heart felt' speech.., LOL
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Reaper_the_pure »

Offline TJ Jones

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2005, 06:04:32 PM »
OH no!!...not that pic she looks like my Mother! lol theres another one where she looks sexy. I wish I never seen that pic now when I look at her I think mom ewww.

Offline TJ Jones

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2005, 06:14:02 PM »
Get that picture of Frederika outa here!!! Oh and believe me I got hormones lol. If you ever seen me out in the streets you would be very surprised that I know what a Romanov is. Please get that pic of Frederika out of here. Thats not the Frederika I know. She dont even look like the same person she looks like my mother. How old was she when this was taken?

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2005, 04:43:41 AM »
This is the one you meen isnt it?

remember that all children had no option but to join the nazi movement and as she was a girl she could have said these things without realizing what she was doing.
ive red that quote on another website which was about indian philosophy not her so they may have misquoted!

to say she had no charisma is obsered she had a dazzaling smile and was always toring the country talking to people and going on state visits. I read a book by a stornch republican and socalist who said that frederika was a beautifful and charming women he also had quotes from others who comented on her strikeing beauty and forcefull charm even in her 50s!

Offline Reaper_the_pure

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2005, 06:36:05 AM »
remember that all children had no option but to join the nazi movement and as she was a girl she could have said these things without realizing what she was doing.
ive red that quote on another website which was about indian philosophy not her so they may have misquoted!

;D, i'm sorry, she was not misquoted, you have not read my post and just commented anyway just like she would have! ;D  I will say again for you her most famous Quote in full this time when she was famously  FAMOUSLY visiting her Guru, this ones for you Queen Frederika! Every Greek knows this speech, LOL.  Here a little on her before it too,

Queen Frederika
Queen Frederika, the wife of King Paul of Greece was known as much for her outspoken and domineering nature as for an extreme patriotism and anti-communism that bordered on the fanatical. The collapse of the Karamanlis conservative government in 1963 had as much to do with Queen Frederika's trip to London as it did with the assassination of Grigoris Lambarkis. (She was met with massive riots as Karamanlis had predicted and asked her not to go) As a girl Frederika had belonged to a Hitler Youth group and while in school in Italy she was heard defending Nazi Germany. Three of her brothers served in the Wehrmacht, Hitler's army. What is not known about Queen Frederika is her spiritual quest which led her to India as a disciple of agadguru Chandrasekarendra Saraswathi Swamigal. Queen Frederika, had been practicing meditation for sometime and had studied the teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi. Frederika claims that it was her advanced research in physics that had started her on a spiritual quest.  It culminated in her accepting the non-dualism or absolute monism of Shankara as her philosophy of life and science.  
"In the nineteenth century, scientists had thought that the cosmos was made up of ninety-two basic elements, such as hydrogen, oxygen and iron, which were indestructible.  This implied that the universe had a diversity of independently existing materials.  However, during this century research had revealed that all elements were in fact made up of a single energy.  The cosmos was therefore intrinsically one, whether it appeared as a speck of dust, a tree, a Nobel Prize-winning genius or a black-hole beyond the galaxies.  The differences were merely appearances.  Our senses give us a knowledge of what is apparent, but not of the underlying one reality of the cosmos.  This one energy which permeates the whole of creation was what Hinduism calls ‘brahma’.  Long before physics discovered it, Shankara had argued that the world of sense experience, that is the world of matter, was a world of appearance (maya), because at the root of each individual existence is the same energy which forms the cosmos.  The human self (atman) is ultimately not distinct from the universal self (brahma).  Duality is illusion.  Reality is not dual, but one.  Science has yet to catch up with what the seers in India had already understood over 2500 years ago. While Greece is the country of my birth, India is the country of my soul."

Some REALITY sites for you ;  

http://www.ahistoryofgreece.com/junta.htm

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:32:36 AM by Svetabel »

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2005, 06:48:14 AM »
yes thats the site  i saw it on first,its obviously such a famous quote that  i have never herd it anywere bethor ive told greeks ive spoken to about it and no one has ever herd of it! this just one website such a quote wouln be well known

if you actuly read any of the other posts on this site you might learn some more ;D

Offline Reaper_the_pure

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2005, 06:55:18 AM »
yes thans the site  i saw it on first,its obviously such a famous quote that  i have never herd it anywere bethor ive told greeks ive spoken to about it and no one has ever herd of it! this just one website such a quote wouln be well known

if you actuly read any of the other posts on this site you might learn some more ;D

LOL, no both the websites i quoted you have  the speech and there are other websites that have that speech too, you don't want to admit it do you?  Are you related to her or something! ;D
LOL and those Greeks you've spoken to probably heard your blatent German accent and didn't want to offend you.  There are still many Greeks who are royalists, but many who aren't, however unfortunately when she spoke, sometimes people wrote it down! ;D

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2005, 09:14:37 AM »
er im not german!

its al very easy to use scapegoats ist it german=nazi is that what think? tell me as you your self said she died a hippy i doubt many hippys would have taken to kindly to a nazi. a nazi would not want to live in india and embrace there phillosophy would they!

as for the websites one probably used the quote from the other the greeks ive spoken to did not have a lot of good to say about her but they agreed that frederika was proud if her geman roots and would never have said such a thing! its just so stupid obvously not true so why say it! ???

anyway ive been reasurching Frederika for 3 years and have never come across this quote anywere apart from that website :-/

Offline Reaper_the_pure

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2005, 09:26:51 AM »
LOL, you mean the two websites, 1,2 ;) If you really want to research her and that FAMOUS quote or the final nail in the coffin quote as i like to call it, just get in touch with the people and organisations involved that were mentioned - they have the internet in India and i'm sure the people there will be able to help u with your research.  A Nazi and a hippy, did it ever occur to you that there is a reason there are few references to her in the 70s - she lost it, why would two seperate websites make up such a complex speech on metaphysics and many greeks still remember she said it?  This conspiracy of yours is bigger than JFK!

Offline Reaper_the_pure

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2005, 09:42:53 AM »
I envy you.  While Greece is the country of my birth, India is the country of my soul.’

Website
http://www.ahistoryofgreece.com/junta.htm

With His Holiness Sri Sankaracharya of Kanchi

The spirit of humility and ardent quest for the highest values was reflected in the reply that Her Majesty gave to the Chairman of the Municipal Council of Masulipatnam who met her in the special railway coach and entreated her to agree to a civic reception: "Thank you; but we have come all the way from Europe, not as members of Royalty but as humble devotees seeking the blessing and guidance of His Holiness."

This is a great site where she talks about her vegetarianism and 'Supernormal manifestations' she has.

http://www.kamakoti.org/souv/5-35.html

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 07:40:32 PM by Alixz »