Author Topic: King Paul & Queen Frederika (nee Hannover) of Greece  (Read 179711 times)

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
Re: King Paul & Queen Frederika (nee Hannover) of Greece
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2005, 11:07:23 AM »
I agree. The Frederika book is too senimental, a sort of apologia. I found it reflective though.
And, the Irish guy- Muntagh, The Rape of Greece sounds far more interesting, but it starts selling at $400 ! Definitely  look for it at the library. There is another, Rape of A Nation [Greece] by Cokkinos.  It sells at $100 ! It is privately printed and I guess a tirade of some sort.
For totally devoted fans of the Greek Royal Family, Arthur Gould-Lee's book is an old standard. It is dated though- 1948 and far too worshipful to my tatse.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Robert_Hall »
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline TJ Jones

• Boyar
  • I'll never be regular here... *cries*
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2005, 03:56:25 PM »
So did Frederika give up her walk with God? Or is it possible to take on Hindu beleifs and remain a Christian? Does she say anything about that? That talk of the cosmos stuff is very Big Bang Theory-ish.
Rule TJ! TJ rules the waves, TJ will never, never, never, eat mayonnaise!

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2005, 04:12:35 PM »
she said in her book she lost faith in god she went on about nuclear physics alot the idea that you could aply nuclear science to the runing of a country is i think madness. The rape of greece is very anti royalty and in particular anti frederika!

Offline Iskenderbey

• Boyar
  • Zito o Vasileus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2005, 09:56:29 AM »
she said in her book she lost faith in god she went on about nuclear physics alot the idea that you could aply nuclear science to the runing of a country is i think madness. The rape of greece is very anti royalty and in particular anti frederika!

I do not remember reading in her book about her losing her faith in god.  On the contrary, it seemed that in her quest to find god she began her interest in nuclear science and the Hindu spirituality.  
I find nothing incompatible with being a Christian and seeking to broaden your believe in god through more spiritualism.

Another read is the biography "Queen Frederica of the Hellenes: Mission of a Modern Queen" by her lady in waiting, Lilika Papanicolaou. (I believe this is what you may be referring to).
It is obviously a pro-Frederika book, highlighting the events of World War II, the work Pavlos and Frederika did during the civil war, and in the inter-war years.  I found it a very interesting book and does good to the Monarchist side view of events.

All those books, "Rape of Greece", "Democracy at gunpoint", etc., are all biased in one way or another, and must be taken with a grain of salt.  They are clearly factional and party political, and each tries to lay blame on the opposite side, and do not lay blame whatsoever on themselves.  
One must either read all these books, and then come to the middle on a version of the events, or reading totally outside neutral sources that do in fact lay the blame on each side and where do.

In my opinion, the best books on this whole subject were written by CM Woodhouse, who shows how the polarity in Greek politics and culture has shaped political history of Greece and the Greeks.  

Regards to all

Offline Reaper_the_pure

• He who is content with the least is rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2005, 11:52:56 AM »
These biographies by her and her lady in waiting are just as bias but the other way obviously.  The truth is somewhere inbetween everything we have already said ;)

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2005, 08:07:09 PM »
These biographies by her and her lady in waiting are just as bias but the other way obviously.  The truth is somewhere inbetween everything we have already said ;)

That is why I read books, draw my own conclusions then post on the AP Forum.

Freedom of  Speech, Don't you love it!@!

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2005, 05:21:58 AM »
thats very true they are all bais with a lot of compleyly made up information esapcaly the rape of greece.

this book by her lady in waiting is it avalable anywere?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by frederika »

Offline Iskenderbey

• Boyar
  • Zito o Vasileus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2005, 11:50:37 AM »
thats very true they are all bais with a lot of compleyly made up information esapcaly the rape of greece.

this book by her lady in waiting is it avalable anywere?

It is called Frederica Queen of the Hellenes, Mission of a Modern Queen By Papanikolaou, Lilika

You can find it at www.greeceinprint.com, also, i think Eurohistory should have it, ask Arturo.

It is a very interesting book, good read.  It covers in detail the life of the Queen during WWII, her efforts in the Civil War, and during reconstruction in the 50s.
It is especially good because you get a first hand account of the Queen's life through a person who lived it firsthand, especially as this lady was involved in all the Queen's charity work, and Mrs. Papanicolaou even describes her own work with the Queen and the charities, in detail.  

I loved it, and one of my favorite Royalty Books.

Regards

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2005, 12:39:28 PM »
does it have a lot of good pictures like a measure or understanding?

Offline Iskenderbey

• Boyar
  • Zito o Vasileus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2005, 03:38:37 PM »
does it have a lot of good pictures like a measure or understanding?

Very much so!
Pictures from every stage of the Queen's Life as Crown Princess, Queen, and Queen Mother.
It is worth buying it.
Included is also a wealth of correspondence between herself and Secretary of State General Marshall (the same Marshall of the Marshall Plan)
Regards

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2005, 03:59:52 PM »
do you think frederika was an attractive women?

every one seems not to :-/

Offline Iskenderbey

• Boyar
  • Zito o Vasileus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2005, 11:02:58 AM »
do you think frederika was an attractive women?

every one seems not to :-/

Attractive in what sense? Beauty or personality?

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2005, 12:01:49 PM »
Beauty her personality had a pleasant but also very ugly side.

Offline Iskenderbey

• Boyar
  • Zito o Vasileus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2005, 12:53:51 PM »
Beauty her personality had a pleasant but also very ugly side.

I think the late Queen was very very beautiful, and it is unfortunate that her daughters didn't quite mirror her in beauty.
She was very elegant and sophisticated, even into her later years.  

I think her personality was just as beautiful, and at the end of the day, the remarks about her are the usual sexist remarks made of any women who is headstrong and of strong character.  We see this even in today's so-called "modern world.
Regards

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2005, 02:10:16 PM »
she was stunningly beautifful quite the lovelyest royal i think ever! but even i admit there was a bad side to her but in no way was it as promenent as what people say.  

i think Yreny was very beautiful when young and is very elegant even to day she is the most like here mother inteligent wise and in looks
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by frederika »