Author Topic: King Paul & Queen Frederika (nee Hannover) of Greece  (Read 178306 times)

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
Re: King Paul & Queen Frederika (nee Hannover) of Greece
« Reply #135 on: February 09, 2006, 03:42:40 AM »

could this be the same place
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:36:29 AM by Svetabel »

julia.montague

« Reply #136 on: February 09, 2006, 10:52:36 AM »
Could be the same place.
I actually never realised that this pic from Tino's christening was taken outside :P

Offline Maki

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 09, 2006, 11:25:10 AM »
I have read that Queen Frederika died in Madrid during some sort of eye surgery.  Is this correct, and does anyone have any pictures from her funeral?  Was Sophia allowed to stay any longer in Greece than her brother Constantine was?  Thanks in advance!

Frederika asked what Lilika Papanicolau’s book Frederika, Queen of the Hellenes, had to say about the Queen’s last days, so I’ll summarize:  In 1978,  she met in Egypt with President Anwar Sadat, who later received the Nobel Peace Prize.  At this time, the queen divided her time between London and Madrid.  Lilika (her lady-in-waiting) said that Frederika was suffering from heart trouble, but said “the muscles in her eyelids had grown slack, which...interfered substantially with her vision.”  The queen decided to have minor eyelid surgery in Madrid rather than London because she was worried about media gossip in England.  She did not want her children to know or worry about about her  little operation.  She suffered a heart attack during the operation Feb. 7, 1981, in Madrid.  Mrs. Papanicolau’s book describes the funeral at the unheated Tatoi chapel, bereft of the simplest amenities such as drinking water, restrooms and chairs, in some detail.  The headstones of King Paul and Queen Frederika cite verses from St. John (“I have glorified thee.  I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do”) and John, Chapter 17:  “I pray for them.  I pray not for the world, but for them, which thou has given me.”

This book, by the way, is probably available from Greece In Print.

Offline La_Rainha

• Loving old Royalty photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2006, 03:34:28 AM »
A Story out of life!
HEre in Germany, you can find many greece restaurants. While getting something to eat, I started a talk with a greek woman, who`s husband was the owner of the restaurant. By the way, we came to special greece names and she told me, that her name was "Friederiki"
I was astonished to hear this name and not the greek popular women names Maria, Elena or Sofia! The woman told me, her parents gave her the name after the so popular Queen Friederiki. While talking, other greece guests started to talk with me and I noticed, that till today Queen Friederiki is very popular in the hearts of greece people. The told me, she was a woman of character and hard meaning, but has a heart for the greece people. "She came as GErman and died as Greek " said an old man. My question, if they also like Queen Annemarie so much, they told, that she is a friendly woman, but never find the way into the hearts of the greek nation!

Offline roimat

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2006, 07:10:40 AM »
Queen Anne Marie is popular too, but she stay only 3 years to Greece, so we must mot compaire with Quenn Frederika. Frederika was so popular,because she stant by the people who were suffering during the Greek Sivil War, and she was so supportive to the Greek soldiers. Many oponents say that she like to interfier to the political life of Greece. But none can realy interfier to the politics,unless you let him or her doing it. If greek polititians like to patronise Quenn Frederika and always ask from her to be political, so don´t blaim her, blaim them!

Offline Nicistratos

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 27, 2006, 09:04:14 PM »
The reaction towards Queen Frederique was either of love and or of deep hate depending who you talk to.  ???

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #142 on: February 28, 2006, 09:32:49 AM »
Yeteveryone who knew personally agrees that she had a very strong and dominant character.  I have interviewed more than a dozen royals who knew Frederica quite well...they all loved her dearly but also mentionedto me her character issues.

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 28, 2006, 10:59:09 AM »
Yes...Although quite a number of Greeks I have talked to have ideas about her involving into politics... ::)

Offline Frederika

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • queen frederika
« Reply #144 on: February 28, 2006, 03:57:54 PM »
i think a lot of the dislike of her came after the end of the monachey she was popular in the begining

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 28, 2006, 09:09:46 PM »
Yes I think the later part of King Paul's reign and certainly her son's. Quite a lot of Greeks believed it was her involvement into politics that cost her son Constantine's throne.  ???

Offline alixella

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2007, 02:50:15 PM »
This is my first time to post on the forum.  Can anyone tell me what exactly Queen Frederika is supposed to have done that cost King Constantine his throne.  I have read on the forum that she was a very forceful personality who dabbled in politics,but I thought it was a military coup which cost him the throne.  Thanks

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 19, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
She was a strong woman and interferred with politics (like Hillary Clinton).  ::)

Offline alixella

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 20, 2007, 12:11:13 PM »
Thanks for answering Eric.  But I wondered if there was some specific incident which cost the king his throne.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 20, 2007, 07:37:03 PM »
I don't think it was one incident but a lot of them togather. Her interferrance was definitely not appreciated (even when her husband was alive).  >:(