Author Topic: The Four Graces – Queen Victoria's Granddaughters  (Read 71557 times)

Offline VickyandAlice

• View Profile
Re: The Four Graces – Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2011, 02:19:38 PM »
Congrats, Illana.  I know this has been a long time coming for you!

Kara Smith

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2011, 01:09:30 AM »
I just got my copy - very excited to read it!

Alixz

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2011, 09:02:29 AM »
Darn those "Victorian" descendants for naming everyone either Victoria or Alice or Louise or Ludwig (Lewis) or Edward or Leopold and, of course Albert, and then marrying others who had the same names!  Then there were all the Marie's that came with Marie Alexandrovna (Coburg).  And those Georges !!

Queen Victoria may have been able to keep them all straight and I am sure that their immediate families did, too.  But without the "nicknames" or Ilana's great "*" and footnotes - well, my head would be swimming!

Actually by the end, I had made up a list of some of those descendants that I now want to look into further.

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
    • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2011, 10:26:55 AM »
Oh, do tell... who have I interested you in further...???
So long and thanks for all the fish

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2011, 01:28:38 PM »
Oops... I meant "in whom" have I interested you... Grammar, gotta love it!!!!!!!!!

Alixz

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2011, 10:41:46 AM »
LOL.

Actually, I would like to know more about Irene and Henry and their own battle with the hemophilia of their sons.

Also Edwina, Dickie's, wife.  She seems to have been a paragon of virtue and good will and the ultimate daughter in law.

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2011, 11:11:20 AM »
There was little I could get on Irene and Henry.  Irene, it appears, was strong enough to resist the influence of "Berlin" on her family.  She in many ways, lived a private life as VMH did.  There wasn't much about the hemophilia except that their son died at a very young age... I wonder what would have happened if Alexei died at the age of 2 or 3... if that might have changed things.

Also, Edwina was a wonderful daughter-in-law but I'd hardly call her a paragon of virtue!  Her own daughter told me she was "naughty"!!

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2011, 08:56:19 PM »
I always wished that my great-grandfather had told me more about meeting Irene when she came to Costa Rica. He died when I was nearly 18, but he did not much enjoy dwelling with the past. He was always very forward looking and paid little attention to historical things.

I have many memories of my own childhood with Prince Sigismund and Princess Charlotte...but these are hardly mentioning in a book, other than I got my inspiration for royal studies from listening to his stories. Prince Sigismund used to loan me books. The first copy of Hessian Tapestry that i ever read belonged to him.

Always felt them to be an anachronism...him wearing round-rimmed glasses and a three-piece suit, while she wore gloves, ankle-high, heeled booties with her dresses and usually donned a hat...all in the sometimes suffocating temperatures of the lowlands of Costa Rica.

I visit their grave on every one of my trips to visit my family. It is sort of a personal pilgrimage for me.

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2011, 11:14:05 AM »
Sort of reminds me of how I concluded the book...

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2011, 11:21:58 AM »
Just one thing I want to make sure that everyone knows... this is a hard-cover book, NOT a paperback!

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2011, 10:37:33 PM »
Got my copy and I'm enjoying very much! Thank you!

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Paola

• Graf
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2011, 04:05:24 AM »

Just got my copy today and look very much forward to start reading it!

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2011, 06:13:18 AM »
In 1,5 week ago to visit The Hague, going to Van Hoogstraten, to pick up this book personally. I have great expectations about this book and hope that ms Miller has used to best sources and has not relied upon the sources used in books from other writers. For example I expect from Ms Miller, that she went to the Windsor and Darmstadt archives for example. (I know that she has visited some castles in 2004 or some time before) And has used original documents and has put not her own opinion about these sisters in her book and only has used historical facts. She had many years time to check up the materials she has used.

And indeed Ms Miller, it would be a pity if it was not published at all, but I hope, truly hope, that your work is far way better, then the crap that some other writers and even members of this board, has published in the last years. Never using the original documents, never been in archives such as the one in Darmstadt or the GARF. With the result that too many mistakes appear in certain books and with the effect that readers are now convinced that some thing really happened and take what is written as historical facts.

For example the writer of a biography of the Empress Alexandra, in which, the writer, claims that Princess Alix was at the wedding of George and Mary of Teck, and had danced with Nicky. While if the writer had double checked, "his source" would have know, that the Princess Alix was not at this wedding, but spend a lovely time at the home of Princess Marie of Erbach-Schönberg. (The last time I mentioned this writer, who also happened to have a forumboard, I was banned on that board forever".

So I hope that Ms. Millers' book has written her book in perfection.

Alixz

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2011, 09:39:08 AM »
Teddy,  I have already finished Ms. Miller's book and I think you will be pleased.

As you know and so do a lot of the posters here, I am always complaining about books with typographical errors and historical errors.  This book has very few typos (not enough to even mention) and, as far as I could see, the history is well researched and well written.  Ms. Miller is the expert, not me.

As I mentioned earlier, this book made me want to investigate some of its peripheral figures more closely.

I had more questions about Irene and Heinrich and also in Ernst Ludwig's part in the Anna Anderson debacle.  I like books that make me want to look for more.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2011, 11:06:02 AM »
For example the writer of a biography of the Empress Alexandra, in which, the writer, claims that Princess Alix was at the wedding of George and Mary of Teck, and had danced with Nicky. While if the writer had double checked, "his source" would have know, that the Princess Alix was not at this wedding, but spend a lovely time at the home of Princess Marie of Erbach-Schönberg. (The last time I mentioned this writer, who also happened to have a forumboard, I was banned on that board forever".

Right as usual Teddy, there is no excuse for errors going into print, I find it disgraceful.
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.