Author Topic: Rasputin: The Mad Monk (1966 Hammer movie)  (Read 10529 times)

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
Rasputin: The Mad Monk (1966 Hammer movie)
« on: May 16, 2011, 12:38:31 AM »
This movie aired on TCM tonight.

Christopher Lee stars in this movie about Rasputin.  Now, if historical accuracy is what you're looking for, you're not gonna find it here! According to Robert Osborne (the guy who hosts the TCM movies), the original script was much more accurate, however, the studio got scared of possible legal action by the remaining Romanov family members (they had filed a lawsuit against a 1930's movie called Rasputin and the Empress).  So the script was altered to fictionalize the whole thing.  The only "real" characters are Rasputin, Alexandra, and Alexei. Everyone else is totally fictional.

Mr. Lee has a grand old time chewing up the scenery as Rasputin. However, at times, he seems more like Count Dracula than Gregory Rasputin, especially his ability to hypnotize others to obey his commands.  Still, his performance saves this movie.

As for the inaccuracies, the average movie goer would not notice them, but I did.  The most glaring..

-using a fictional lady-in-waiting under his command, Rasputin has her arrange an accident by having her push Alexei off a bridge onto a frozen river (never mind that an injury like that would probably have KILLED him outright, but hemophilia is not even mentioned).  So he can arrive on the scene and save Alexei.

Of course, what really happened was that Alexei was injured while getting into a boat in Poland, and later, the injury was irritated when he went riding with Alexandra. Rasputin wasn't even there when his "miracle" cure happened (he was in Siberia at the time).  Rather he had sent a letter saying something like "The Little One won't die".

-where's Nicky!?  He's not even shown.  This movie gives the impression that Alexandra is the one running the Empire (oddly enough, she is not even mentioned by name, always being referred to as "Tsarina", I wonder if the lawsuit worries had something to do with this).

-wow, Russia seems very peaceful throughout the movie, never mind we were in the middle of the First World War and a revolution was brewing.

-Rasputin's death scene was wrong.  Instead of Felix Y. and Dimitri P, he is killed by two fictional characters.  one of the assassins is killed in the process (when in reality, both assassins survived).  Also, in the movie, Rasputin dies by being pushed out a window and falls to his death (when the poison doesn't work).  In reality, he was shot, and then thrown into the Neva, where he drowned.

No, the movie was okay, but don't use it as a history lesson!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 12:46:07 AM by TimM »
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
Re: Rasputin: The Mad Monk (1966 Hammer movie)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 12:53:34 AM »
Hey Tim I saw a few minutes of this movie and it's a hoot because it's VERY much like this studio's horror films from the same time period...sort of fun really...somehow Mr. Lee is always watchable no matter the material...also you gotta love the 60's hair dos ... lol!

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 01:10:47 AM »
Mr. Lee is always watchable no matter the material

Yeah, his performance saves this picture.

Alixz

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
I would bet that all of the changes and omission had to do with the law suit over "Rasputin and the Empress" that Irina and Felix Youssoupov filed and won earlier on.

The studios wouldn't ever want to go through that again.  That is probably why "the names were changed to protect the innocent".

I wish I had known it was on.  I will have to do a better job of reading my TV Guide in the future.

Alixz

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 10:56:33 AM »
i just checked TCMs schedule for last night and both movies were on.

At 8 there was     Rasputin and the Empress from 1932

At 10:15    Rasputin:  The Mad Monk.  1966

My husband said he knew.  HE DIDN'T TELL ME!  I was rereading an old Stephen King novel because I thought there was "nothing" on TV to watch.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 11:07:34 AM »
I would bet that all of the changes and omission had to do with the law suit over "Rasputin and the Empress" that Irina and Felix Youssoupov filed and won earlier on.

That must have been the lawsuit Robert Osborne was talking about.

Offline RHB

• Boyar
  • Four Sisters Always Remembered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 02:47:57 PM »
I saw some of it... I also saw pieces of Rasputin and the Empress which was before it... that was ridiculous but Mad Monk was interesting!
<-- GDAndrea

Live and Die together!

Offline CorisCapnSkip

• Graf
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 03:12:11 PM »
You know, I caught about the first hour of this after watching about the last hour of "Rasputin and the Empress," was extremely disappointed, and, bad as the first movie was, preferred it to this.  I was counting on seeing a movie about Rasputin and his influence on the Imperial Family.  Instead we have him hypnotizing this chick Sonia and browbeating a doctor whose first name was Boris.  Alexei was mentioned by name although the movie credits list him only as "Tsarvitch."  I saw one brief scene with him and none of the rest of the Imperial Family, so, although Christopher Lee is great, I had to shut this one off.  If the scenes just featuring the IF are on YouTube or something post a link and maybe I'll watch.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 08:07:31 PM »
I  certainly  prefer Rasputin and the Empress, over this ...no question...Mad Monk  really a comedy

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 08:20:11 PM »
You know, I caught about the first hour of this after watching about the last hour of "Rasputin and the Empress," was extremely disappointed, and, bad as the first movie was, preferred it to this.  I was counting on seeing a movie about Rasputin and his influence on the Imperial Family.  Instead we have him hypnotizing this chick Sonia and browbeating a doctor whose first name was Boris.  Alexei was mentioned by name although the movie credits list him only as "Tsarvitch."  I saw one brief scene with him and none of the rest of the Imperial Family, so, although Christopher Lee is great, I had to shut this one off.  If the scenes just featuring the IF are on YouTube or something post a link and maybe I'll watch.

Alexandra is in this movie too, although she is referred to throughout as "Tsarina", never once is her name said.  Nicky is no where to be seen though.

Offline CorisCapnSkip

• Graf
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 12:13:45 AM »
Wow, this is fascinating.  I had no idea that Christopher Lee had met Felix Yussoupov, or that he was involved in this film!  http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/382552%7C0/Cult-Movie-Picks-May-2011.html/

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 12:12:51 PM »
Yeah, I saw that fact on the Wiki entry for this movie.

Offline CorisCapnSkip

• Graf
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 10:33:01 PM »
That actually gives me a surprisingly small number of degrees to the Imperial Family.  Christopher Lee met Yussupov, and I met Forrest J. Ackerman who was a friend of Lee's--only three degrees between me and the IF!  Now that I have seen the Lord of the Rings movies and Hugo, it is my great ambition to actually meet Christopher Lee and make it only two degrees!  Can anyone else boast close degrees of separation between themselves and the IF?

Offline edubs31

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 11:43:04 PM »
Kevin Bacon is from Philly, as am I...and so it begins...

lol, seriously though that's an interesting question that I'd like to see answered. Any second hand accounts? I'd imagine some contacts with living Romanov descendants have been made by members of this board, but I think it pretty certain that none were alive or came in contact with the IF pre-1918. Would have to go back at least a few years...
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 11:25:39 AM »
but I think it pretty certain that none were alive or came in contact with the IF pre-1918. Would have to go back at least a few years...

Yeah, anyone alive then would have to be 100 or thereabouts now.