Author Topic: advice about two books  (Read 3609 times)

Offline Sue Ellen

• View Profile
advice about two books
« on: May 19, 2011, 04:23:46 AM »
Hi,I would like to have an advice about two books that I found on-line, "The last courts of Europe" by Finestone and " Nicholas and Alexandra: The Family Albums" by prince Michael of Greece".Which which is more interesting?Thanks

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Re: advice about two books
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 08:26:15 AM »
I'm not familiar with Finestone's book, but you can learn more about Prince Michael's book here. Virtual preview of the interior pages with photos and video here.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:29:41 AM by Sarushka »
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Sue Ellen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 10:25:13 AM »
Thank you so much for you answer,but I can't enter in the page of photobucket.How can do?

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 10:51:43 AM »
Dear Sue Ellen, It depends what you are looking for. I have both books. If you are interested in Royalty in general then you have to buy the The Last Courts of Europe if you are only interested in Nicholas and Alexandra then you have to buy that one. Personally I would buy both books.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 01:05:08 PM »
Thank you so much for you answer,but I can't enter in the page of photobucket.How can do?

I'm sorry, I forgot to give you the guest password: romanov
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 06:21:35 PM »
If you are asking because you can only buy one of the two books, I would buy "The Last Courts of Europe" book. Don't get me wrong, the photo book on Nicholas and Alexandra is a must have for most of us, and it is very well done.

My reasoning is this: there are many photo books of the Romanovs (5 I can think of right off) but the only photo book on royalty pre-WWI is this one and it is excellent.

And, if you love royalty books and can by both, do! Most of us here have hundreds or thousands spent on these darned books!

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 07:11:04 PM »
Att.  "Sue Ellen":   If you are in a position to buy just one of the books, I also would cast my vote for "The Last Courts of Europe."  I have both the books mentioned, but the "Last Courts of Europe" has a number of fascinating photos that are not commonly seen of European royalty.    Regards,  AP.

Offline historyfan

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 07:56:51 PM »
I have to agree with "Last Courts".  I don't own either book, but my library has both.  I enjoyed both but if I had to choose which one to purchase, it would be "Last Courts".

Offline Sue Ellen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 04:17:11 AM »
Thank you all for your help!!!

Offline katmaxoz

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 06:17:48 AM »
I also vote for the "the last courts".  Nicholas & Alexandra is a great book, but you can find most of its photos online and replicated in many other romanov photo books. The last courts gives you a great overview of european royalty in the 19th century in general with lots of rare photos you won't find elsewhere. The only other similar book I have is "royalty before the wars" by William Mead Lalor http://shop.majestymagazine.com/shop.php?cat_id=65  but even so, it's photos are not as extensive as "the last courts".

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 06:33:53 AM »
My vote goes to The Last Courts of Europe. It is MUCH more interesting imho.  ;) :)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 10:25:08 AM »
I concur. LCOE is an EXCELLENT book.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/