Author Topic: list of WWI movies  (Read 40200 times)

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: list of WWI movies
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2015, 06:22:47 PM »
On the great war forums the Eastern Front subsection there is a 6 hour long Russian mini series on the 1916-1917 period's  based on Chapaev activities deals with the 326th Infantry regiment on the Southwest front. It's in Russian only and I can't figure out the title because I don't read Russian.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2015, 11:51:48 AM »
On youtube there is "Disasters of 1915 and Russia's widening war" by  David R Stone and other programs on WW I in 1915 at the US National World War I Museum and Memorial. Which some people might like.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2016, 07:04:06 PM »
There is another fairly recent  movie that deals with Russia in WW I
A Young Doctors Notebook

I also like to note that actor Alan Rickman has died he played Rasputin in the movie Rasputin Dark Servant of Destiny which is on youtube.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2016, 04:22:01 PM »
Good to see more WW1 movies.  For a long time, it seemed that WW2 had stolen the spotlight here.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2016, 06:36:42 PM »
The miniseries War and Peace is discussed on the Napoleonicwarsfourm.com the invasion of Russia 1812 section mainly dealing with uniforms and battle scenes and what the series got wrong. Also there are some color pictures of the Borodino battlefield site taken in 1911.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2016, 06:11:54 AM »
Sounds interesting.  I'll have to check this out.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2016, 09:58:14 AM »
on youtube is the 1928 silent film The last Command deals with Russia in WWI. Note: Emil Jannings won the first academy award for acting because of this film.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2016, 05:37:19 PM »
Two more on youtube:

White Sun of the Desert on the Basmachi revolt a popular Soviet film has English subtitles

October Ten Days that shook the World on the 1917 Bolshevik seizure of power 1927 silent. The joke is more people were hurt filming this movie than in the real life October/November 1917 revolution

Offline NicolasG

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2016, 04:14:44 PM »

October Ten Days that shook the World on the 1917 Bolshevik seizure of power 1927 silent.

The Soviet film version of a propaganda book by an American Communist. Communist propaganda squared. Why should anyone torture himself and waste one hour and a half of his life with it?

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2016, 04:45:27 PM »

October Ten Days that shook the World on the 1917 Bolshevik seizure of power 1927 silent.

The Soviet film version of a propaganda book by an American Communist. Communist propaganda squared. Why should anyone torture himself and waste one hour and a half of his life with it?
I saw this some years ago.Technically, the cinematography is pretty innovative for the time.But it is still crude, heavy-handed Soviet propaganda, almost laugh-out-loud so most of the time.But that was good enough for its sponsors, the Communist state.Subtlety was not required, and likely not have occurred to the Propaganda Ministry.Caricature and relentless sloganeering had proven quite effective in the political state of the previous decade.

Rodney G.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2016, 06:35:57 PM »
Another one on youtube: Lenin the Train on Lenin's trip threw Germany to Russia in 1917.

As for October Ten days that shook the World note the joke that more people were hurt in filming than in the real Oct/Nov 1917 revolution. No doubt there were plenty of people who knew what really happened then and laughed at it. of course not to loud in Russia since they didn't want to be tossed in the Gulag. Note there is a propaganda content to most Soviet films. I believe I read many years ago at European film festivals where the Soviets denounced Western films as "decadent" the Soviet particpants never bothered watching their country's entries they spent all their time watching the "decadent" Western films!

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2016, 02:13:24 PM »
Verdun: Looking at History a 1928 French silent film just rereleased on the battle of Verdun.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2016, 06:39:46 PM »
100 years ago the Battle of Jutland was fought 31 may/1 june 1916. on youtube there is: Battle of Jutland Animation on Vimeo that's quite good.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2016, 02:58:52 PM »
On youtube:
March on the Drina a Yugoslav film on the battle of Cer which was the first Allied victory of WW I

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2016, 01:24:13 PM »
Not movies but on youtube presentations dealing with the war on the Eastern front:

The Eastern Front 1914

Breakthrough the Gorlice-Tarnow Campaign 1915
The Guns of Autumn WWI on the Eastern front
Vejas liulevicius The Eastern Front experience in the First World War