Author Topic: Prince William and Catherine, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge  (Read 275853 times)

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
    • Type Russian Without a Keyboard
Re: Prince William and Catherine, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
« Reply #495 on: January 09, 2014, 09:52:55 AM »
Elizabeth Lyon-Bowles was also a commoner and she was the king's consort so you,  won the argument :)

Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon and Lady Diana Spencer had exactly the same background: Daughters of earls. So Lady Diana merely followed precedent, while Miss Middleton is something new.
Берёзы севера мне милы,—
Их грустный, опущённый вид,
Как речь безмолвная могилы,
Горячку сердца холодит.

(Афанасий Фет: «Ивы и берёзы», 1843 / 1856)

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 09, 2014, 10:34:30 AM »
Hi,

Yes, the future Queen Catherine is 32 today!!!

Happy Birthday to the present Duchess of Cambridge......

Larry

Offline Lindelle

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 31, 2014, 09:24:26 PM »
Are there any pics of the interior of their new home at KP?

Offline Lindelle

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 31, 2014, 11:46:27 PM »
I also found an interior pic of Amner Hall but it looks pretty cluttered and not sure if I'm allowed to post it. If anyone's interested, just search Interior Pictures Of Anmer Hall.

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline RoyalWatcher

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 07, 2014, 04:05:03 PM »
Wee Prince George is so very precious. Oh my goodness!!! So excited to see more of him. He looks like a complete mix of both Wills and Kate. Oh, and his parents looked great too!

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 07, 2014, 06:07:59 PM »
He is a cutey.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2598337/Duke-Duchess-Cambridge-begin-New-Zealand-Australia-tour-Prince-George.html

So strange that the British always dress their children so sparingly, with bare legs when the parents are much more warmly dressed. If he were a Scandinavian (or Russian?) prince he'd have a nice warm woollen sleeper on.
Берёзы севера мне милы,—
Горячку сердца холодит.

Offline DNAgenie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 07, 2014, 06:38:09 PM »
So strange that the British always dress their children so sparingly, with bare legs when the parents are much more warmly dressed. If he were a Scandinavian (or Russian?) prince he'd have a nice warm woollen sleeper on.
Well it was about 22degC when they left Sydney and presumably George was dressed accordingly. Then when they arrived in Windy Wellington the temperature was down to 14deg or below. They probably won't make that mistake again. Even Scandinavian or Russian princes need to dress for the climate.

Offline Превед

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Мой Великий Север
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 08, 2014, 10:05:32 AM »
Well it was about 22degC when they left Sydney and presumably George was dressed accordingly. Then when they arrived in Windy Wellington the temperature was down to 14deg or below.
Surely they knew that. Their staff no doubt checked.

They probably won't make that mistake again.
They will, if they are English! I remember holidaying on the Northumbrian coast as a child and we Norwegians, adults and children, wore long trousers and jackets because it was windy and chilly, but the English parents, themselves well and good dressed, let their children run around in thin shirts and shorts! My mother and aunt, who worked in the UK at a Butlin's holiday camp and as an au-pair also remarked on this. And 19th century accounts of English nannies in Russia etc. also seem to describe this, the horror of nannies who ordered open windows, fresh air, cold baths and only thin flannel clothes. Even though we Scandinavians and Russians like to be outside in the cold, skiing, ice bathing etc. we always dress very warm and snug and prefer woollen undergarments, even in summer if necessary!

Indeed there is the Norwegian saying: Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær. = There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes.

This is just as puzzling to Scandinavians as the non-existant insulation of a traditional English cottage is, with draughts coming in from everywhere, especially from underneath those badly proportioned doors.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 10:07:41 AM by Превед »
Берёзы севера мне милы,—
Горячку сердца холодит.

Offline RoyalWatcher

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 08, 2014, 03:30:51 PM »
I suppose the British raise their young to be strong against the elements. Makes sense to me. What I may consider to be cold may not be the same for another who lives in a cooler climate. 14c is not cold even with gusts....from this royal watcher's humble perspective.

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 09, 2014, 12:48:38 AM »
Yes, stiff upper lip and all that. Anyway, glad you visited the Northumbriam coast, it is stunning whatever the weather.
A busy day for George:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2600284/Young-prince-meets-New-Zealand-babies-families-official-public-engagement.html
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline Lindelle

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 09, 2014, 05:02:09 AM »
Actually, the temperature in New Zealand and in Australia is really quite nice. You must remember - we have a very different humidity factor -  compared to England so on the day they arrived it was raining yes, but warm in temp. Today in Australia we had a 20 deg c temp but it was so warm and we (like New Zealand) are only just starting Autumn.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what season did W & K get married in. Autumn wasn't it? And it seemed quite warm if not just ok then.

Honestly, don't worry about little George's leg's getting cold - it's not winter yet, just a charming time of year.

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 09, 2014, 06:40:39 AM »
Hi Lindelle,

William and Kate got married in April 2011;  so it would be spring in the Northern Hemisphere and autumn in the Southern...

Larry

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 09, 2014, 01:26:21 PM »
April 2011 was a warm month, though their wedding day was cooler - fortunately for those in heavy uniforms!

Ann

Offline Lindelle

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 09, 2014, 04:44:42 PM »
Hi Lindelle,

William and Kate got married in April 2011;  so it would be spring in the Northern Hemisphere and autumn in the Southern...

Larry

Thanks Larry