Author Topic: Anastasia's 16th birthday  (Read 10149 times)

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
  • Царь Николай, твоё имя - любовь
    • View Profile
Anastasia's 16th birthday
« on: June 20, 2011, 12:35:31 PM »
I made a research in the whole forum to see if someone had already told something about this, but i didn't find anything; but if i didn't search well and this is already discussed, i apologize.

Anastasia is the only one of the girl who turned 16 after the revolution.
Of course this meant that she didn't have a ball and so on - but maria hadn't neither, because of the war.
I was wondering, at the contrary, wether she received the traditional present from her parent's - if i remember well, a diamond ring and a diamond necklace. if i'm wrong, please correct me!
I mean, did Nicholas ordered them to Fabergè before the Revolution, knowing his daughter was to became a woman, or she just hadn't it? I'm a bit undecided about it. I don't know wether we know this from documents, or if we'll have to speculate freely, but i'm keen to know what you think about it!
Please visit my site
http://thelostworldofnaotmaa.wordpress.com/

Banner courtesy of GD Ally

Offline historyfan

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Anastasia's 16th birthday
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 01:39:01 PM »
I thought they were pearls.  They were still at the AP at the time of Anastasia's birthday, but I don't recall reading that she received her birthday present.  : (

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 03:17:30 PM »
Oh yep, there it was a pearl necklace!! Thanks historyfan. A pearl necklace and a diamont ring!
Uhm, hope someone knows or just tell i can imagine whatever i want...  ::)
Please visit my site

Offline Olga Bernice

• Graf
  • <-*Photo Courtesy: GD Ally*
    • View Profile
    • Colors Of The Rose
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 04:10:19 PM »
Oh goodness Sunny . . . difficult question there!  :)

If you want my opinion on what I think he did, I'd have to say no. If the revolution had happened in, say, August 1917, then yes, but since it happened in February, I don't think so. I mean, they were under house arrest . . . I just can't see the guards pooling in their money to buy a pearl for an ex-grand duchess.  ;) I'm sure OTM let her wear theirs from time to time (if they still had them, of course).

I don't know . . . I'm not saying I'm right about this, so if you find something different, it's probably right.

Hope this helps!
Olga Bernice
Mashka . . . Olya . . . Tatya . . . Nastya

Many thanks to Laura Mabee for the banner!!

"We played on the swing, that was when I roared with laughter, the fall was so wonderful! Indeed!"
ANR, May 7, 1918

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 05:15:37 PM »
I've not read anything about this, so I can't say for sure.

IMO, it's possible that N&A might have ordered Anastasia's birthday jewelry prior to the revolution. However, I think it's very unlikely that Faberge would have been permitted to deliver such an order after the Romanovs were placed under house arrest.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 05:56:42 PM »
  Concerning your second paragraph of Reply # 4 "Sarushka," again, I agree.  For the firm of Faberge to have continued any longer with contacts, would have been construed as "guilt by association."  
   Karl G. and the Firm already had come under considerable scrutiny, and when finally at the moment, upon being informed that all was indeed lost to him (late 1918), he merely asked for ten minutes to get his coat and hat (it appears that he abhored personal luggage, and never carried it). He died in Switzerland two years later.    Regards, AP.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 06:15:18 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 12:48:21 AM »
Sarushkan, AP, thank you so much. I simply didn't want to be wrogn talking about a necklace and a ring that  in fact never existed!
Please visit my site

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 11:14:11 AM »
But you know I can see them giving her pearls and a ring from their own store of jewels  on her birthday  ...as a promise for her real ones when " times were better. " It's also sad  that just when Anastasia would be able to officially put up her hair, she had to save it off....though there are a few photos with it up.... such as with TN and the recovering Marie and later in the early AP captivity photos  ...her hair is at least tucked up under her hat

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 12:50:26 AM »
It's also sad  that just when Anastasia would be able to officially put up her hair, she had to save it off....though there are a few photos with it up.... such as with TN and the recovering Marie and later in the early AP captivity photos  ...her hair is at least tucked up under her hat

The only pic i can think of is the one with tatiana and recovering Marie: here is clear they all have their hair up, or wigs (i don't know wether she pic was taken before or after they were shaved.)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/255/1917tma.jpg/
It's really sada because i'm sure that with her hair up like a woman & loosing her puppy fat, Anastasia would have been as pretty as her sisters, if not even more. Itb was simply puppy fat that made her ungracious, IMHO.
In Tobolsk, as Sarah made us notice in another thread, their hair are not up, but short like a bob. I thought here their hai was up, but the pic is faded, and i had to look better to see they all have short hair:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/190/1918otaatobolsk.jpg/
Anyway, IMHIO short hair gave Anastasia a certain boyish look that was so suitable to her personality!
Please visit my site

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 02:48:26 AM »

well in these two captivity photos ( which I believe where taken at the same time,)
AN has hair and it's tucked up into her hat at least, and so "up" ....also the photos where she's with TN during this time

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 11:33:07 AM »
well in these two captivity photos ( which I believe where taken at the same time,)
AN has hair and it's tucked up into her hat at least, and so "up" ....also the photos where she's with TN during this time

Yep ^^ but it's rare to see her with her hair up and without hat! ^^

PS the second pic is new to me... thanks *__*
Please visit my site

Offline Padawan Ryan

• View Profile
    • Padawan of the V'tosh Ka'tur
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 08:33:30 PM »
According to Helen Rappaport's new book The Romanov Sisters: The Lost Lives of the Daughters of Nicholas and Alexandra, Anastasia writes in a letter to her friend Katya that she received, "a pair of earrings, and my ears were pierced. This is, so to say, small news," for her sixteenth birthday. It doesn't mention much more detail than that about Anastasia's birthday - for a book that's supposed to focus on the daughters, it focuses a lot less than the girls than one would hope, with very little detail in aspects of their lives whereas much more detail to aspects of other family members' lives - however, it gives no notice of Anastasia having received the ring or the necklace, and supposedly all she stated in her letter was the earrings.
Padawan of the V'tosh Ka'tur. Social Work graduate, History student.