Author Topic: Anastasia's pet name  (Read 12453 times)

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
  • Царь Николай, твоё имя - любовь
    • View Profile
Anastasia's pet name
« on: June 23, 2011, 10:43:51 AM »
I have already seen there's a topic about Anastasia called Ana or not (and it was clear not). But i didn't find a topic about her reald pet name, i mean, the one used in family. If there's and i didn't find it, mods, feel free to move this topic!
Having studied russian, and knowing how russian use pet names and nicknames, i'm always a bit surprised that in thei letters & diaries, NAOTMAA often called each other with full names. Knowing, moreover, how used were nicknames in european royal houses during Belle Epoque (Sasha, Minnie, Nicky, and from alix's side, Alicky, Vicky, Ella, Ernie, and so on!), i always thought it was a bit uncommon.
I have only once seen Anastasia called with one of russian petnames of her name: she herself calls her "Nastaska" (if i remind well) ina letter to Nicholas. (i'm not at home so i can't quote the letter from A lifelong Passion, sorry).
my question is: do we have other examples of anastasia being called otherwise than her full name?
Knowing russian, it's obvious for me writing about them who call each other with russian pet names, but don't finding them in letters, i'm a bit astonished O_o
ok, we know that Marija was called Mashka, or Masha, but i would need something for Anastasia now  :) something real, i mean.
thanks!
Please visit my site
http://thelostworldofnaotmaa.wordpress.com/

Banner courtesy of GD Ally

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Anastasia's pet name
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 11:04:14 AM »
Mmm i've just found it, "hidden" in thread about Tatiana!

However, there are plenty of letters with the Little Pair's nicknames: Masha, Mashka, Nastasia, Nastaska, Nastya. Alexandra also used "Mashenka" for Maria twice in 1910.
(And there are seven letters from the empress to Olga using the nickname "Olenka" in 1905 & 1909.)

First of all, thank you sarah, you're the best for these things!
So, i take Amastasia's pet names.
But anyone know the letters in which they have been used?
Thanks ^^
Please visit my site

Offline Olga Bernice

• Graf
  • <-*Photo Courtesy: GD Ally*
    • View Profile
    • Colors Of The Rose
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 11:45:14 AM »
Hi Sunny!

I know she went by Nastasya, because she signed that way in a letter once  ;) hope this helps!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:46:59 AM by Olga Bernice »
Mashka . . . Olya . . . Tatya . . . Nastya

Many thanks to Laura Mabee for the banner!!

"We played on the swing, that was when I roared with laughter, the fall was so wonderful! Indeed!"
ANR, May 7, 1918

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 11:49:04 AM »
So, i take Amastasia's pet names.
But anyone know the letters in which they have been used?

If you get a copy of Avgusteyshie Sestry Miloserdiya (Royal Sisters of Mercy) you'll find many examples of letters Anastasia signed with her pet names.

However, when her family was writing *about* her, they almost always called her Anastasia -- except for Olga, who sometimes referred to her as Shvybs or Shvybzik.

THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline MademoiselleAndrea

• Knyaz
  • Take me as you find me, all my fears and failures.
    • View Profile
    • Past A La Mode: A Presentation and Celebration of Historical Fashion
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 02:24:04 PM »
In Olga's 1913 diary I think she calls Anastasia Nastenka or something like that. I'll check to make sure but I don't think I'll be able to find it!
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me". --Erma Bombeck

Offline Antonina

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • saltkrakan.livejournal
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 11:51:55 PM »
If you get a copy of Avgusteyshie Sestry Miloserdiya (Royal Sisters of Mercy) you'll find many examples of letters Anastasia signed with her pet names.

AAAAHHH I WANT IT! It's still out of print.  >:(

Sunny, maybe you know - you can read a large part of this book (only Alexandra and OTMA's quotes) in russian here: http://emalkrest.narod.ru/txt/det14.htm

I think Nastenka was a name of comtess Anastasia Hendrikova only. AN was called Nastska, Nastasia or Shvybzik :)
...Столетья поплывут из темноты.

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 12:25:54 AM »
Sunny, maybe you know - you can read a large part of this book (only Alexandra and OTMA's quotes) in russian here: http://emalkrest.narod.ru/txt/det14.htm

i  DIDN'T know Antonina, so THANK you with all my heart! I tried to purchase the book, but no way! But with you tip, now, everythign qill be easier! Oh, what a good think being a russian major... LOL
Please visit my site

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 07:46:01 AM »
Ana is not a Russian diminutive for the name Anastasia.

Anastasia signed her letters as Anastasia, Nastaska, Nastas, Nastasya, and Caspian Nastaska for the most part.

Olga referred to Anastasia as Shvybs or Shvybzik, as Sarushka pointed out, in letters referring to her.
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 05:45:48 PM »
Ana is not a Russian diminutive for the name Anastasia.
It always annoys me when people call her "Ana" or "Anya".
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me". --Erma Bombeck

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 12:42:01 AM »
it' an annoying heritage of the AA case...
Please visit my site

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 08:33:59 AM »
it' an annoying heritage of the AA case...

And I think people like to shorten it because it's a fairly long name. Most people aren't knowledgeable on Russian diminutives unless they're Russian in heritage or study it.
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 11:02:40 AM »
And I think people like to shorten it because it's a fairly long name. Most people aren't knowledgeable on Russian diminutives unless they're Russian in heritage or study it.

you're right. I've read russian litterature since infancy, so the use of pet names was clear to me. When i took my russian classes at college, the professor was surprised i knew the given name for every petname. None of my classmate knew even one. Yet in the thrd (last) year they had problems understanda that in the same text, Vanja and Ivan was the same person. So, even those who study russian don't know sometimes.
Please visit my site

Offline writer_in_the_making

• I'm back from a three year hiatus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 08:33:47 AM »
As several people have brought up, Anastasia was also called Shvybzik by her older sisters, but I thought I'd bring up that Shvybzik roughly translates to "imp" or "little imp."
We girls, born as four but live as one,
Look curiously upon a world once familiar,

The blue sky turns to black velvet,
As the storm settles upon our Kingdom,
And with our hearts and hands united
We realize that it is as God willed.

It was our destiny to Love and say goodbye

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 11:46:38 AM »
But 'shivbzik' is not a Russian word. It was adapted from the German word for 'tipsy' by the Romanovs. I have no idea how it ended up being thought of as Russian for 'imp'.

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 12:26:03 PM »
Maybe because all the court memories said she was a imp!
writer_in_the_making : thanks, i knew it but thanks anyway, even if i specifically wanted to know the russian diminutives.
It was Olga who used "Schwybzik" or "Schwibs" the most.
Please visit my site