Author Topic: The True Memoirs of Little K; a novel by Adrienne Sharp  (Read 5831 times)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
Re: The True Memoirs of Little K; a novel by Adrienne Sharp
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 02:49:24 PM »
My library has it but it's checked out.. I put it on hold and give it a whirl because I'm curious. At least it doesn't claim to be anything but fiction!

Offline Naslednik

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 05:32:35 PM »
You are in for some surprises!  Well, I won't give anything away....the ending is nothing I ever considered, but probably the real Little K thought about it from time to time...   :)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 02:03:18 PM »
Ok here is my review of this novel...

If I was writing this review when I was only half way through the book, it would have definitely gotten 5 stars from me. As things stand, I was going back and forth between 3 and 4 stars, and the reason I wanted to give it 4 was because of an excellent and elegant writing style and also an interesting story which was readable and entertaining. Here is why I ended up giving it only 3 stars(this will contain SPOILERS!). It is a clearly well researched novel, and the first half is historically accurate. However, half way through the book things start getting a little too fantastical for my tastes. First of all, there is absolutely no historical evidence whatsoever that Nicholas II continued to have an affair with Mathilde Kschessinska after his marriage, and yet this is a rather large part of the plot. There is even less evidence that Mathilde's son Vova was the Tsar's son and his paternity was accepted by the Tsar. Not only that, but according to the book Vova was also accepted by the Tsar's family as his son, including his wife and his children, and he spent a significant amount of time at the Alexander Palace with them. Including the days when they were under arrest. This was a little too much for me, but I did finish the book, and even actually enjoyed it on some level. So as long as you can live with this type of glaring poetic licensing, then you may like this book too.

Offline Naslednik

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 05:42:34 PM »
Bravo, Helen!  Excellent review!  I agree completely. If I suspend my disbelief, it is a fun romp of a read.  And the English is beautiful, isn't it?  I love the billowing shirt and chemise as they walk the lawns of Strelna down to the Sea.  (Now THERE'S a teaser!)