Author Topic: What became of Peter's dream? Court culture in the reign of Nicholas II  (Read 2647 times)

Offline Luc

• Graf
    • View Profile
A couple of days ago, I ordered this book after I have read a review of it.
The book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1928825036/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

The review:
http://www.directarticle.org/Book_reviews.pdf

The book is called What became of Peter's dream? Court culture in the reign of Nicholas II. It is about the Slavophile culture Nicholas II created at his court. The focus of the book is to you all well-known 1903 costume ball. This ball was of course the epitome of the traditional Russian culture at the tsar's court.

Has anyone of you read it or would like to comment on this book?

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
Thank you for the notification. I have ordered the book !
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

aleksandr pavlovich

As shall I !  The mention of Peter the First always reminds me of the seated statute of the Emperor near the Cathedral of SS. Peter and Paul in St. Petersburg.  The facial features, quite gaunt IMO, are allegedly based on his death mask.  The fingers are outstretched and I have been told that the local legend is if you touch/stroke the fingers, you will return to the "City of Peter."  So far for me, it has worked.   Regards,  AP.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 02:38:46 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
How interesting, AP.  I was told the same thing and I have been back 5 times ! Most recently 2 weeks ago.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Offline Luc

• Graf
    • View Profile
How amazing it would be to visit St. Petersburg and see all those palaces, museums and so on!! I hope to do so once...

I hope my copy will arrive soon and it will be worth it, for I have seen nothing of it from the inside.

Offline Luc

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: What became of Peter's dream? Court culture in the reign of Nicholas II
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 08:00:25 AM »
My copy of this book, which I ordered in June this year through Amazon.com, was lost in transit. The seller from who I had ordered it, did a refund to my account. This shows goods not always arrives at our homes...

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 10:02:43 AM »
My copy arrived in due order, rather quickly actually.
 I would not expect too much. It is a catalogue from a Vermont college exhibition, with pieces from the Hillwood  collection. 2003.  A slight 110 page volume. I have seen better museum catalogues.
 BTW, I do buy most of my books via the net. Amazon [UK & US] mainly  but also bookfinder and others.  In all of my years of doing this, I have lost very few purchases and they were made good with either replacement or refund.  However, on this last  European jaunt, as usual, I had   the books I bought sent ahead by post. The Amazon UK order was returned for some odd reason [that had never happened before] and other  shipment just disappeared.  The books themselves were easy enough to replace but I am annoyed  by the USPS.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 10:19:34 AM by Robert_Hall »

Offline Luc

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 04:56:49 AM »
I was a bit disappointed because it never happened before with Amazon.com. But if you say I won't miss too much with this book, I doesn't matter if I don't have the book. Indeed, there are much more nice books to find.
Maybe next time at Amazon will be much better:)