Author Topic: Writers Circle  (Read 74730 times)

Offline Talya

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Writers Circle
« on: July 17, 2011, 04:42:48 AM »
I was thinking here we could make a writers circle, to critique each other! I know about Day's of OTMA's Lives, but I was thinking about this being a nonfiction type. I know that dozens of people here are in the process of writing a nonfiction book (including me!) and was thinking we could compare ideas/sources and help out if a sentence is vague or etc. I think this could work out like someone posts their interest in the topic, and PM me or another person who's interested! We could also help out if we have a book they don't like Nicholas and Alexandra or Six Years at the Russian Court. Now, who's with me?
Why I enjoy watching The Andy Griffith Show at 2am, I'll never know.
Why yes, I do enjoy comical stylings of Anastasia :]

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
Re: Writers Circle
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 09:18:50 AM »
Certaionly it's a needed thread...I would find it interesting...because Romanov readers have a sake too! lol!

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Talya

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 09:25:03 AM »
I thought that too! I did multiple searches with different words, and couldn't find anything of the sort! Non Romanov-fan editors really deflate your hope sometimes, and I think it's better to hear corrections from someone who knows the subject and can help you with all the little details.

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
  • Царь Николай, твоё имя - любовь
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
Talya, i'm with you. As most here know, i'm wiriting a novel about the romanovs. It would be to be a serious thing, so serious it's years since i started it  - and i've recently re-started it from beginning,. just not to waste time, LOL
Unfortunately i can't ask advice for grammar & co, since english is not my mothertongue, but i really would like a place here, among romanovs fans, where post when i've troubles with a certain scene or carachterisation, or something!
Please visit my site
http://thelostworldofnaotmaa.wordpress.com/

Banner courtesy of GD Ally

Offline Talya

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 10:08:42 AM »
Exactly why I thought of this! I can help, among others, with English grammar and/or slang! I'm sure Russian users can help with their versions too! Also, we could post things like writers resources! Personally, I like www.hollylisle.com . She has to be one of my favorite writers sites! So many exclamations! Anyways, Ghostbusters marathon right now, but if anyone posts/PMs I shall be there!

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
  • Царь Николай, твоё имя - любовь
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 11:20:42 AM »
I DO understand that most of these budding authors NEVER get beyond their first several months (or pages) of "glow/hope," and this is not meant to quench their hopes, but to interject a healthy dose of realism.  If I had an US dollar, Euro, etc., for every person on here who, over the YEARS, have said that they "were writing a book,"  I would be financially well-set!  Good luck, but "don't give up the day job!"  Regards,  AP

You are perfectly right! Writing is the thing i like best on the world, but since then nothing has never gone out my pc. I have intere novels completed but i'm the only one who has never read them. And in fact, i've heard of so many people saying they were writing a book... it irritated me before, because i tought i was a real writer in coming, but now i understand it's stupid. Everyone should be respected and i'm not superior to none. But well, i really hope i'll manage to take something OUT of my pc one day!
Please visit my site
http://thelostworldofnaotmaa.wordpress.com/

Banner courtesy of GD Ally

Offline Talya

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 11:24:43 AM »
Well, I am open to ideas, and I believe someone should not be excluded just because they write different. This is why people can now decide to join with fiction. Technically, wouldn't some Romanov fan writings have some sort of outlook based on what is already know? These are not just made up out of the blue characters. It is more of a would Olga do this/that? Would Maria become this? Would Anastasia ever do that? Would Alexei run away? Who knows? We do have some idea though. Considering hemophilia, WHICH IS A KNOWN FACT, we can infer that this would be almost impossible, considering these known facts. HE LOVED HIS PARENTS AND FAMILY and would not abandon them. HE HAD HEMOPHILIA which could kill him at any moment. With no medical treatment on the outside, he would surely die, and he knew that. HE WAS CONSTANTLY SURROUNDED to the point where he would have to climb out a bathroom window to escape. Even then, guards would have apprehended him. This sort of fiction can be considered historical fiction, and is based on the true facts we know today.
Considering your rhetorical and sarcastic questions, there would be a place to start. For the cadets, their pet names are documented are they not? Now, find their true names based on diminutives, such as aloysha was used for Alexei, and there you are with their true names. I recall there being a school THEY WERE SPECIALLY selected from correct? I do believe it was Alexandra that wrote that, I believe, BTW. Next, cross check that with military schools in the area they were chosen, and look for biographies of them or their parents. If there is indeed nothing, all I can say is work on something else. Same for the sailor/attendant.
For the address on "thick skin",  doesn't one have to be critiqued to have thicker skin? What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Besides, not all of us are toddlers, prone to extreme emotion, we are more mature, more grown up! We can stand a little tweaks here and there!

Offline Talya

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 11:31:38 AM »
Also, don't ever give up Sunny! Persistence is one of the great things that make writers writers! Mark Twain was once a young man, never heard of (alias or otherwise!) and look at him now! One of the great literary legends! Same goes for dozens of other people! Einstein did some of his best work working in the patent office, unknown then. Now he is a name spoken as a legend! The point is, no matter what you do, if you keep trying and trying, you can reach the top! You just need to make yourself known.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 12:03:33 PM »
Sunny, with the coming ebook revolution, I think your books have an excellent chance of escaping the PC !  Someday authors will have webs sites where one can download their books for a fee.  You are an excellent writer, I look forward to reading your books someday =)

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Talya

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 12:25:42 PM »
I decided that the name Talya (what my Russian friends call me, instead of Natalya, many of which they have) seemed more unique and still apart of me.
For the issues concerned;
1. I must say, sarcastic was my word choice, as rhetorical questions often are. The reason I said rhetorical, (which you failed to mention, I notice) because of the sheer nature of the questions. All cliches are based on a grain or kernel of truth, no matter how small.
2. From what I could say, it said 'their names (indeed nicknames)' would leave room for error.
3. I said, these people ARE NOT made up out of the blue. We on the forum have a more well known knowledge of these people, versus people who follow character categories. They say Olga was a nerd, Tatiana the haughty, Maria the angel, and Anastasia the clown. They were not as we know. There will be bias if someone here writes a story. They will subtlety let the reader know, these were three dimensional people.
Also, if it really is infering you aren't a fan of, think of as deducting. That was you don't make an ass out of you and me. Ass|u|me <-- my favorite word trick.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 12:58:58 PM »
I'm enjoying this thread already ! lol!

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Talya

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 02:14:48 PM »
Its over, onto Glee season 1 volume 1. And then to the Big Bang Theory seasons one and two and maybe gone with the wind remastered in color.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 05:16:26 PM »
Natalie, I think your idea has merit.  If I can help, I will.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 06:23:14 PM »
Soooooo as a Romanov writers, what would you say was the one of the biggest challenges?

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline RHB

• Boyar
  • Four Sisters Always Remembered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 07:50:37 PM »
sometimes keeping in character with what we know of them but also sometimes adding things that could have been of their personalities to make them as human as possible... sometimes i get writers blocks working on Days... not knowing how to go on from Tim and stuff but in the end as you could well see the next entry gets posted eventually! We've managed 11 Seasons of Days so far and i'm proud of it and i know Tim is too i bet! Sometimes it takes Tim sending a "you haven't posted yet?" PM to really get me in better gear... so Tim when you read that thank you! Ha, ha!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 08:01:43 PM by RHB »
<-- GDAndrea

Live and Die together!