Author Topic: Writers Circle  (Read 76777 times)

Offline Olga Bernice

• Graf
  • <-*Photo Courtesy: GD Ally*
    • View Profile
    • Colors Of The Rose
Re: Writers Circle
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 11:11:13 PM »
Also, don't ever give up Sunny! Persistence is one of the great things that make writers writers! Mark Twain was once a young man, never heard of (alias or otherwise!) and look at him now! One of the great literary legends! Same goes for dozens of other people! Einstein did some of his best work working in the patent office, unknown then. Now he is a name spoken as a legend! The point is, no matter what you do, if you keep trying and trying, you can reach the top! You just need to make yourself known.

Great words of determination, Talya! And Sunny, I agree. Who knows maybe all you have to do is hook yourself up to an editor and you'll be set to have a book in print!!  ;)

(Hey, who said I couldn't dream?)
Mashka . . . Olya . . . Tatya . . . Nastya

Many thanks to Laura Mabee for the banner!!

"We played on the swing, that was when I roared with laughter, the fall was so wonderful! Indeed!"
ANR, May 7, 1918

Offline Talya

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 11:22:30 PM »
Looks like we have gotten considerable attraction to this thread... ;D  okay, time to really build a base. (business technology really does wonders in school....) PM me or post on the topic if you want to be a part of this ;D
Why I enjoy watching The Andy Griffith Show at 2am, I'll never know.
Why yes, I do enjoy comical stylings of Anastasia :]

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Rex and Hannah Chronicles Wikia
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 11:32:38 PM »
so Tim when you read that thank you! Ha, ha

You're welcome :)

Offline Ekaterina-Nikolaevna

• Grand Duchess Tatiana, 1897 - 1918.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 11:35:11 AM »
This is a great idea! Something like this is definetly needed on this board. I'm enjoying reading all the comments.  ;D

See those four sisters walking there?
One reddish,two brown,one fair?
Through the courtyard they go,in a line they flow,
Their name we know:
OTMA.

Offline Talya

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 11:36:30 AM »
Well, I had fun writing most of them ;D

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 04:20:13 PM »
Just to be clear, Fiction is my thing.  I don't do Non-Fiction, I don't have the time or resources.

Of course, there are several ways of doing Fiction around the Romanov family.  I have seen a few.

Historical Fiction:  This is where you take real life events and write a story around them.  Sarah's book, The Lost Crown, would fit into this category.

Science Fiction and Fantasy:  This is my thing.  Both the stories I wrote with the Romanov's fit into this.  Requiem, a story in my Rex and Hannah Chronicles series has NAOTMAA as Earthbound spirits since their murder in 1918, when they run into Rex and Hannah.  My other story, Bid Time Return, has NAOTMAA rescued at the last second and taken into the far future, where they encounter a whole new world.  In both stories, while the Romanov's are real, everything else is not.

Alternate Reality Fiction:  The soap that RHB and I are writing fits here.  It depicts a world different than the one we know, the Romanov's lived past 1918, the Bolshevik revolution failed, modern technology, such as cell phones, exist, and so on.  The Romanov's are there, as well as characters that are totally made up, such as Sam and Kole.

So there are quite a few ways to do Romanov Fiction.

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
  • Царь Николай, твоё имя - любовь
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 12:55:19 AM »
Personally i have always thought that when one know anything about a certain period, cannot write novels about it but only history. I was wrong. First of all, one can never know ANYTHING; second, there's always a little place for romance and fiction; third, i've read books and seen films perfectly historically build AND wonderfully fictional where history lacked and even when there was history itself. The lost crown, we all have read, is the newest example.
So i've turned myself froma a pure fictional writer to another type of writer, that is: i make the most accurate historical researches i can (In this very moment i'm struggling with Amazon to get a copy of Alix's 1918 diary!) even if i'm not good at it and it takes me sooo long, and then, having a well done historical background, i try to fix my fictional part. Of course it's harder than before, but this is the best part. Everyone can make easy things, isn't it? Well, i bet in the end it will be particularly satysfing.
Please visit my site
http://thelostworldofnaotmaa.wordpress.com/

Banner courtesy of GD Ally

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 06:28:47 AM »
I think if one is writing historically  fiction, getting as much correct history in is important because it helps make the fiction part become more believeable.   There is that which is true...and that which rings true,  and knowing your history helps one with the latter.   

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Talya

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 06:38:46 AM »
Historical fiction really does seem like a better genre for the romanovs. I need help revising a sentence. "I want to write about OTMA, and not a 'survivors' book, I want one of the genuine them, not someone else that lived their lives."

Offline Ekaterina-Nikolaevna

• Grand Duchess Tatiana, 1897 - 1918.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 12:30:10 PM »
Everything is there apart from feeling and making the person believe that it is truly that character's voice in historical fiction. With the other genres, alot rests on what you come up with. Historical fiction is easiest IMO because all the events are there in black and white, all that is left is project a sense of feeling into the voice of whoever it is you are writing about. I do have a soft spot for alternate realities though. It's the idea of NAOTMAA surviving the massacre, which is much nicer than the cellar ending, and reading about them achieving their dreams like Maria's soldier husband and twenty children. That's partly why I read Days of OTMA's Lives (which, by the way, it's very good!)  :)

See those four sisters walking there?
One reddish,two brown,one fair?
Through the courtyard they go,in a line they flow,
Their name we know:
OTMA.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 11:28:18 AM »
Any more writers here?

Offline MademoiselleAndrea

• Knyaz
  • Take me as you find me, all my fears and failures.
    • View Profile
    • Past A La Mode: A Presentation and Celebration of Historical Fashion
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 06:26:41 PM »
Any more writers here?
Me! The only piece I've posted on here besides poems is "Skating on the Standart", http://forum.alexanderpalace.org/index.php?topic=16472.0, but I've written heaps more, (not that I've finished any of it!  ::)) but I like the idea of a "writer's circle".  :)

I need help revising a sentence. "I want to write about OTMA, and not a 'survivors' book, I want one of the genuine them, not someone else that lived their lives."
Hmm, well, let's see. "I want to write about OTMA, but not a book about one of them surviving the massacre, nor one about someone who knew them, but a novel about the Grand Duchesses as they truly were," seems to sound better.
I hope I understood your original sentence!  :-\
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me". --Erma Bombeck

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 07:13:56 PM »
I love the title " Nikolaevna" , ( of course I would since it's the title of my last finished painting! lol!  =) But I want to say the  use of flash back is an important tool when writing about OTMAA....I have out lined a children's book that starts in the hospital during the war , but flashes back to earlier days. The thing is this way  you get both the war and earlier times...plus at the end you leave them at the hospital, where one found them...and so you have late , earlier times  and no cellar . One does not have to tell their whole story...in order to tell their story

Another  interesting thing about a thread such as this is writer can help each other out of jams! lol!

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 07:33:54 PM »
I think in all the stories, the end is the hardest, because it's a horrible ending.  Odd coincidence that both my stories, Requiem and Bid Time Return, has NAOTMAA continuing on beyond the events of July 17, 1918.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2011, 09:59:33 PM »
I think in all the stories, the end is the hardest, because it's a horrible ending.  Odd coincidence that both my stories, Requiem and Bid Time Return, has NAOTMAA continuing on beyond the events of July 17, 1918.
It's not coincidence. It's a good part of the point imo  ....at least a major source of inspiration =)

Olga Nikolaevna