Author Topic: Victorian kitchen that has remained untouched for 60 years discovered Read mor  (Read 5239 times)

Offline Clemence

• Graf
    • View Profile
'' It used to be all girls without clothes. Now itís all clothes with no girls. Pity.''

Offline bonbon823

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
SO very interesting!  I wish I could find something so cool...but alas, I live in a manufactured home!

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
This wonderful to me, I am working on a miniature Victorian kitchen and the photos are a great help.  I do not think I can find an Aga of that type though.  It would cost too much to replicate. I already have a modern one [in miniature] but it does not quite fit in.  The pots & pans, the bottles and such, great resource.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
What a little treasure! Thanks for posting it!

RealAnastasia.

Offline CountessKate

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
This wonderful to me, I am working on a miniature Victorian kitchen and the photos are a great help.  I do not think I can find an Aga of that type though.  It would cost too much to replicate. I already have a modern one [in miniature] but it does not quite fit in.  The pots & pans, the bottles and such, great resource.

Perhaps you are looking for the wrong thing?  There are lots of miniature kitchen ranges and many of them are not expensive - the aga was invented in 1929 and is a relatively modern appliance and in miniature terms might be quite pricey.  They wouldn't have had an aga in a Victorian kitchen - but of course it looks better in a headline.  As in the picture, Victorian kitchen ranges would have been placed within a fireplace so the smoke would be sent up the chimney, and I've seen some miniature Victorian ranges sold with the fireplace surround, all in one piece - they're not uncommon and can be reasonably priced. 

I volunteer in the National Trust Carlyle's House in Chelsea, where there is a splendid example of a kitchen range of about 1850 - it has an integral boiler, an open fire section and a closed oven bit - very high tech for the times but the thought of actually cooking on it is a nightmare.  Quite a few people however have commented that their grandmothers had had those sorts of devices when they were children - not all of them aged grannies themselves, either!

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
Thank you, Countess Kate.  I have an artist/seller making a Victorian range for me that meets  your description, he in in Yorkshire I think.  It is a custom piece and costly but worth it.  I think I just meant the term "Aga " generectly We are dating my kitchen around 1905 or so, for a great country house.. This is just a room box.  The whole house is another story with a totally modern, updated kitchen.  It would sort of  be  like the one discovered in the basement here. I have been working on this project for years and in no rush to finish it.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline EmmyLee

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
How interesting! I'm glad they'll be preserving it-- what a treasure to find in your own house!