Author Topic: Alexandra as "Sunny"  (Read 11937 times)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Alexandra as "Sunny"
« on: September 08, 2010, 06:42:03 AM »
Something that intrigues me.
If the Empress's nickname was "Sunny" why did she always look miserable and rarely smile for photos?
Her attitude seems to have been that she was better than everyone else. Hence her hauty attitude.

Offline Carisbrooke

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Alexandra as "Sunny"
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 07:13:42 AM »
  Check out Alexandra's childhood. If suddenly one day your mother &  sibling playmate disappear & someone burns all your toys, then I think your attitude to life may change dramatically.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 07:45:39 AM »
'Sunny' was a nickname which hung over from Alexandra's infancy.

Ann

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 08:44:41 AM »
If the Empress's nickname was "Sunny" why did she always look miserable and rarely smile for photos?
Her attitude seems to have been that she was better than everyone else. Hence her hauty attitude.

Your forum status reflects your knowledge on that subject, he?

Meine Kaiserin

LifeOfJudaism

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 02:59:32 PM »
She had many nicknames, or so i recall.

Offline historyfan

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:08:56 PM »

A common misconception, that started before she even became Empress.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 09:34:02 AM »
Thomas, could you please be a bit more gracious and tolerant of newbies who come here to LEARN, not be treated as idiots by more experienced students in the subject? After all, learning is the foundation of this website.

Thanks

FA

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 05:40:53 PM »
Thomas, could you please be a bit more gracious and tolerant of newbies who come here to LEARN, not be treated as idiots by more experienced students in the subject? After all, learning is the foundation of this website.

If somebody writes about a person's arrogance and general attitudes I get the impression that he/she has gained a lot of information on that person.
If this is not the case one should reflect beforehand on what one is writing.
Meine Kaiserin

Offline Clemence

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 12:35:29 PM »

I believe ''sunny'' was a nickname given to her in her very first years in life.

please do try to make an effort to study a little bit before writing things that show a complete ignorance on such a complex personality as the empress!
'' It used to be all girls without clothes. Now itís all clothes with no girls. Pity.''

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 11:32:06 PM »
I share your opinion. I never writes or talks about a person,(historical character or not) that I don't know very well. Just think that I affirm a fake info about this person and people believes that what I'm saying is the complete truth! You can make a great harm to a person's reputation, for some people tends to believe more bad things they heard about others than good ones.  :(

And this Forum is a place where people comes to search informtion about the Romanovs and other Royalty, so, we must try not to make statements that could be verified as fake.

RealAnastasia.

Offline DNAgenie

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 03:34:41 AM »
Sunny was the name Alexandra used as signature in many of her letters to her brother Ernie, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine. The earliest I have seen signed thus was 21 Jan 1890. Before that her letters to him were signed Alix. She also signed letters to him as Alicky, but Sunny was preferred. She was still signing herself Sunny as late as 1915, though letters to Ernie's second wife Eleonore (addressed as Onor) were signed Alix.

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
  • 1 Corinthians 13, Mark 11: 23-24, Romans 8: 38-39
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 03:48:53 AM »

That's interesting DNAgenie! Sunny was the nickname Nicholas called her until the end, and imo, maybe that year was the time they wrote to each other more (in the 'getting to know each other' phase). I think she liked it too much that she used it to sign her letters to Ernie!

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 06:56:00 AM »
Sunny was the name Alexandra used as signature in many of her letters to her brother Ernie, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine. The earliest I have seen signed thus was 21 Jan 1890. Before that her letters to him were signed Alix. (...)
Princess Alix already used 'Sunny' as a signature in 1887. See for instance her letters to her brother dated 15/27 March 1887 and 29 July/10 August 1887 in "The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916".
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"