Author Topic: Assassination attempt in 1916  (Read 20509 times)

Offline Lady Macduff

• Boyar
  • We will meet again in better times. - TN
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Assassination attempt in 1916
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2013, 04:23:14 PM »
I haven't ever come across any references to an attempt being made on Alexandra's life.
We are sitting together as usual, but you are missing from the room. - AN

Offline Jen_94

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • GrandRoyalPalace
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2013, 05:24:42 PM »
I haven't heard of such a thing until now either to be honest.

Lady Macduff, quoted from an old post...

Grand Duke Nicholas Mikhailovich wrote in his diary after Rasputin's murder: " All that they have done...is just a halfway, because Alexandra Feodorovna and Protopopov also should be murdered obligatorily...it is logical...But I can't do it alone, how? I an not a murderer.". Of course, it was heard, those rumors, and Grand Duke was sent on his estate Grushevka. Also, Shulgin had been thinking about an assasination at Tsar in late December of 1916. Simply there was a chaos in those months in Russia, and yes, those were speculations, and it was not attempted!

Mahonemo, I would be interested to know where you heard that?

Offline Mahonemo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2013, 02:02:05 PM »
An Ambassador's Memoirs, Volume III, page 162.
He puts the date as 12 January 1917 (OS) which is 25 January 1917 (NS).
Do you have any information?

Michael Mahoney
mahoneyresearch@yahoo.com

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2013, 05:28:43 PM »
I think Paleologue may have been recording gossip. If there was a attempt to kill Alexandra at this time it would have made front page news throughout the Russian Empire and possibly the world. Note by this time censorship in Russia had totally broken down. There are numerous accounts of the final days of the Russian monarchy but not one mentions an assignation attempt on her.

In the book section there is the book "The Diary of Olga Romanov" which has face book postings for 11, 12 ,13 January 1917 which you might want to check out.

Offline historyfan

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2013, 08:55:29 PM »
However (and someone may have already mentioned this - if so, please forgive me for redundancy) there were certainly suggestions of this sort, and possibly outright plots. Attempts, though? As has been said, those weren't documented.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2013, 05:12:40 PM »
This is from the book "The Watchful State Security Police and Opposition in Russia 1906-1917" John Daly
"The political circles of Petrograd, according to a police report of 13 January, excitedly discussed an alleged attempt on the life of the empress by either Prince S. V. Gagarin or prince V. N. Obolenskii, two courtiers."

This is most likely the story.