Author Topic: Upcoming Books in 2012  (Read 63767 times)

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
Re: Upcoming Books in 2012
« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2012, 10:23:25 AM »

"In English" for the diaries of Tsar Nicholas II must mean translated from the Russian originals.

But I wonder if the Empress' are her original English, or translated back into English from the published Russian translation?

I'm also curious to know who did the translating/editing. The quality of the translation can make or break a book like this.

Sarushka, can you read Russian? It makes a difference if you can read Russian or not. I can't.And so many on this board. So I'm really happy, that finally someone has translated the diaries. It is something, for all those who can't read the originals.

And by the way, I advise everyone to be carefull to criticize someones work in public. It can make and break someone. And nobody deserves that. And on this forum it is somehow forbidden the last couple of years to criticize a writer or translator in public.
I have maked the mistake to criticize different writers and publishers here in public on this very forum, that was a big mistake.

Sarushka, I agree, that if you can read the diaries in the original language that those books are better. But if you can't read the originals, then a translations just perfect. I'm from the Netherlands, the diary of Anne Frank is written in Dutch, not English. The translation of this work from Dutch in English is also not perfect. But for me it counts, that so long the message comes through to the reader, we can forgive someones translation "mistake". I hope you agree.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 10:55:42 AM by Teddy »

Offline Inok Nikolai

• Graf
  • Irkutsk, Russia 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2012, 12:06:12 PM »
For the record, my question concerning the translation was not meant to disparage anyone's work, or to somehow belittle those who don't know a particular language.

I  often read all sorts of books in translation when I don't know the original language, and I am very grateful to have the book in a form that I can access.

The main reason that I wanted to determine whether or not the language was Empress Alexandra's original English is for purposes of citing passages from it later.

One must know, and be able to tell others, whether or not the quotation is precisely what the author wrote. That is all.

By the way, Helen reminded me that she and I had discussed these two volumes already.

The are Stephen de Angelis’ editions, and in the USA they are available from Bookemon:

http://www.bookemon.com/book-profile/the-diaries-of-nicholas-ii-1917-1918/136750

http://www.bookemon.com/book-profile/empress-alexandra-feodorovna/136565

It's very good that Van Hoogstraten's is now offering them in Europe too.
No doubt the shipping costs from the USA contributed to the price.

Tsar Nicholas II's diaries were written in Russian, so this is a translation.

And since Empress Alexandra Feodorovna's diary for 1917 was later apparently lost, the English text here is probably a re-translation from the Russian translation of the copy at GARF.

But, of course, it is great to have them available in any form.
инок Николай

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2012, 01:32:56 PM »
Dear IN.

Thank you for understanding. These are indeed the books. Its indeed good that Van Hoogstraten sells them. The price is reasonable, I think personally. I have sources that translations can cost an amount of time and that it never will pay back. But the real fans of Nicholas and Alexandra will still buy a copy which they can hold in their hands.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:46:23 PM by Teddy »

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2012, 07:44:59 PM »
Sarushka, can you read Russian? It makes a difference if you can read Russian or not.

I can, but not very well, so I depend on translations of primary sources for a great deal of my information on the imperial family.

And by the way, I advise everyone to be carefull to criticize someones work in public. It can make and break someone. And nobody deserves that. And on this forum it is somehow forbidden the last couple of years to criticize a writer or translator in public.
I have maked the mistake to criticize different writers and publishers here in public on this very forum, that was a big mistake.

Sarushka, I agree, that if you can read the diaries in the original language that those books are better. But if you can't read the originals, then a translations just perfect. I'm from the Netherlands, the diary of Anne Frank is written in Dutch, not English. The translation of this work from Dutch in English is also not perfect. But for me it counts, that so long the message comes through to the reader, we can forgive someones translation "mistake". I hope you agree.

I'm not sure what provoked this admonishment. I've not read these translations, and I'm not familiar with the translator, so I can't possibly disparage the work -- nor were my inquiries an intent to do so.

For the record, there is no policy forbidding anyone to post a critical reaction to a book on this forum, so long as no personal attacks are made against the author.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2012, 12:29:24 AM »
Sarushka, I hope you will enjoy the translations. And you can always read inadvance throught the links of NK and hope that you will add the books to your shelfs :). They are in my opinion a real must.

Offline Stardust

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2012, 07:28:38 PM »
    Hi guys!   Does anyone know of a G.D Dmitri pavlovich book in the making?  I would love to know.  It seems like I've been waiting for this like forever!! :'( :'

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 04, 2012, 03:21:29 PM »
I have the diary of the Tsar. The diary of the Empress will be ordered later by me. But I find that the diary of the Tsar is a must have. You don't must expect to read directly the feeling of the Tsar in his final years. About his diaries there one thing what attracts me at once, at that in his last weeks, he almost didn't write anymore in his diary. I think in the end the Tsar was very depressed and lonely and saw that there was no escape. And that touched me deeply. I find that it is a must have on your bookshelf.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2012, 06:04:38 PM »
Former People: The Final Days of the Russian Aristocracy [Hardcover]

Douglas Smith (Author)

Publication Date: October 2, 2012

Epic in scope, precise in detail, and heart-breaking in its human drama, Former People is the first book to recount the history of the aristocracy caught up in the maelstrom of the Bolshevik Revolution and the creation of Stalin’s Russia. Filled with chilling tales of looted palaces and burning estates, of desperate flights in the night from marauding peasants and Red Army soldiers, of imprisonment, exile, and execution, it is the story of how a centuries’-old elite, famous for its glittering wealth, its service to the Tsar and Empire, and its promotion of the arts and culture, was dispossessed and destroyed along with the rest of old Russia.

Yet Former People is also a story of survival and accommodation, of how many of the tsarist ruling class—so-called “former people” and “class enemies”—overcame the psychological wounds inflicted by the loss of their world and decades of repression as they struggled to find a place for themselves and their families in the new, hostile order of the Soviet Union. Chronicling the fate of two great aristocratic families—the Sheremetevs and the Golitsyns—it reveals how even in the darkest depths of the terror, daily life went on.

http://www.amazon.com/Former-People-Final-Russian-Aristocracy/dp/0374157618

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline edubs31

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2012, 07:59:26 PM »
Pretty heavy sounding stuff. Do we know about Smith's other works? I see he's written a couple of books on Catherine the Great that have generated mostly positive reviews on Amazon. He's also written something on masonry and its influence on Russian society.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offline gem_10

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2012, 01:13:12 AM »
A new book about Tsar Alexander I will be released in November. I think it's about time that a new bio about this complex man will be released.

http://www.amazon.com/Alexander-The-Tsar-Defeated-Napoleon/dp/0875804667

Offline QueenEna1887

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2012, 06:17:08 PM »
I hope I wont be bamboozled or harassed or cursed out for this  but a new interesting book is coming out in 2012 its called
http://www.libreriaproteo.com/libro-964690-ESTOY-VIVA-LAS-MEMORIAS-INEDITAS-DE-LA-ULTIMA-ROMANOV.html
The book is in Spanish but I translated it to English:

The English title is: I AM ALIVE: UNPUBLISHED REPORTS OF LAST ROMANOV (ON PAPER)
OLGA NICOLAIEVNA , MARTINEZ ROCK , 2012 ISBN 9788427038967

SYNOPSIS in English:
This book presents for the first time an exclusive and unprecedented and poignant testimony written by the eldest daughter of Tsar Nicholas II of Russia: Olga Nicolaievna. Because Olga was not killed with the rest of her family, as it is officially made to believe, on the morning of July 17, 1918 during the Bolshevik revolution. This theory was a lie for years maintained a tacit pact of silence between the Vatican, several powerful governments and some of the great royal houses of Europe. I am alive is a passionate and intimate look reveals, finally, the whole truth. Olga will accompany throughout their memories: from early childhood through the recesses of the palace, to the rebellion that led to the downfall of the Romanovs, the months of captivity to which they were subjected, unique details and unknown on the night of the controversial slaughter, until his secret life in Germany protected by Kaiser Wilhelm II, or its relentless flight for the rest of his life under the false name of Marga Boodts.Un heartbreaking story and all that remained hidden under key for more than fifty years in the hands of Maria Grazia Annoni, heir to the legacy of the Grand Duchess, and he finally sees the light. A document that puts an end to the many unknowns that have weighed in on the latest generation Russian dynasty, the Romanovs. A cry of pride and courage of a woman whose only wish was to be recognized and respected for what she really was: the Russian Grand Duchess Olga Nicolaievna.

http://www.libreriaproteo.com/libro-964690-ESTOY-VIVA-LAS-MEMORIAS-INEDITAS-DE-LA-ULTIMA-ROMANOV.html

Google the Spanish title you will see tons of websites on it.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2012, 09:21:39 PM »
Well Romanov fiction never goes out of style. ; )  At least it takes on 'Olga's' side rather than rehashing some old 'Anastasia' tale.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2012, 02:51:24 AM »
Marga Boodts lives! You know she looks even less like Olga than Anna Anderson looked like the Imp!

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline stepan

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 20, 2012, 06:43:18 PM »
I hope I wont be bamboozled or harassed or cursed out for this  but a new interesting book is coming out in 2012 its called
The book is in Spanish but I translated it to English:

The English title is: I AM ALIVE: UNPUBLISHED REPORTS OF LAST ROMANOV (ON PAPER)
OLGA NICOLAIEVNA , MARTINEZ ROCK , 2012 ISBN 9788427038967

SYNOPSIS in English:
This book presents for the first time an exclusive and unprecedented and poignant testimony written by the eldest daughter of Tsar Nicholas II of Russia: Olga Nicolaievna. Because Olga was not killed with the rest of her family, as it is officially made to believe, on the morning of July 17, 1918 during the Bolshevik revolution. This theory was a lie for years maintained a tacit pact of silence between the Vatican, several powerful governments and some of the great royal houses of Europe. I am alive is a passionate and intimate look reveals, finally, the whole truth. Olga will accompany throughout their memories: from early childhood through the recesses of the palace, to the rebellion that led to the downfall of the Romanovs, the months of captivity to which they were subjected, unique details and unknown on the night of the controversial slaughter, until his secret life in Germany protected by Kaiser Wilhelm II, or its relentless flight for the rest of his life under the false name of Marga Boodts.Un heartbreaking story and all that remained hidden under key for more than fifty years in the hands of Maria Grazia Annoni, heir to the legacy of the Grand Duchess, and he finally sees the light. A document that puts an end to the many unknowns that have weighed in on the latest generation Russian dynasty, the Romanovs. A cry of pride and courage of a woman whose only wish was to be recognized and respected for what she really was: the Russian Grand Duchess Olga Nicolaievna.

Google the Spanish title you will see tons of websites on it.

Interesting! So it will also be published in English?  When?

Offline QueenEna1887

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 21, 2012, 09:30:48 AM »
There should be some English copies too I believe it will be released in September this year.  Over 35,000 documents. Its all over the internet.